NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Logan Jones

Re: NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread

Post by Logan Jones »

Perhaps look into trying out a X-Vue Gamma Boost / HDFury GammaX unit. I need to try mine out on some more 15kHz displays, it seems like it may only be intended for 31+ kHz but I'm not 100 percent certain.
Interesting! Yeah, if you could test it for me on 15khz and show me some comparison pics, that would be greatly appreciated.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Logan Jones wrote:
Perhaps look into trying out a X-Vue Gamma Boost / HDFury GammaX unit. I need to try mine out on some more 15kHz displays, it seems like it may only be intended for 31+ kHz but I'm not 100 percent certain.
Interesting! Yeah, if you could test it for me on 15khz and show me some comparison pics, that would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEHqAval0Gy/

Okay, works fine on 15kHz 'csync' too. Difference is more noticeable IRL, my CRT is already pretty vibrant but it helps a lot with making shit vibrant while retaining black levels, I can assure. Look at the world map in the background behind the character portraits for a good example

It is VERY noticeable if you're using OSSC's scanlines / a scanline generator on VGA displays
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

Wow, Thanks! Yeah, the XP-37 isn't extremely dim, but a gamma boost like this would really help.

I'll look into it!
aaron6918

Post by aaron6918 »

Hey, new here.
Was looking for info on a nec pg-2740 someone gave me.
At first I was getting no picture. Reflowed everything and now I get a picture but it takes over 5 minutes to get there and it's still messed up.
I'm used to working on simple arcade monitors so I'm pretty lost. Saw there was a long discussion about a similar monitor and was hoping to get some advice/help.

When I turn on my monitor it stays black for a couple minutes. The image will slowly show up starting on the left side and after a few more minutes will be done. It's shifted way to the right and is shaky. If I use the remote I can move it left but even all the way it's still not centered. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/RMNUl6b" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/RMNUl6b">nec pg-2740</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
aperturegrillz

Post by aperturegrillz »

I have an XM29 Plus that I was tired of the loud fan noise on. I looked around and it seemed like some people had really complicated solutions for getting around the automatic shutoff when you use different fans, but fortunately I found one post on shmupsforum saying you can simply ground the sense wires on the fan cables and it will work. I tried it out and sure enough, it does! So now I have wired in some PC fan connector adapters and hooked up Noctua Redux fans instead - much quieter. Not that anybody will notice, but I think these fans blend nicely with the design. And I must say, these monitors are remarkably easy to service!

I also had noticed the internal speakers sounded very bad, and when I took the case off they proved to be totally destroyed:

The speakers are 90 x 55 mm, 16 Ohm, which seems pretty unusual. The closest match I can find online are 90 x 50 mm (or 3.5 x 2 inches) and fairly few of those are 16 Ohm, but maybe I could use speakers that size and just attach the screws on one side... anybody successfully replaced their speakers?
aaron6918

Post by aaron6918 »

Im bumping this. Still looking for the nec pg-2740 service manual
Im getting no high voltage
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

What is the component to replace, if the monitor does not output sound?
lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

I have a small update on my monitor. A while back I took my XV29 to a video repair place here in town. It took the guy a while to get around to it, but he gave me an update the other day. He said he tested the transistors (I think he means the power transistors) and the values were slightly off from what they should be. That actually makes sense as a possible explanation for the problem, since I thought it could be related to the power supply. Anyway, he said he ordered some new transistors, so currently we’re waiting on those to arrive. I think I may have mentioned this before, but when and if the monitor is ever fully working, I plan on making a video about it - which I’ll post here.
guut

Post by guut »

Does anybody have a service manual/schematics for PG-2940 or XM29+ ?
lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

guut wrote:Does anybody have a service manual/schematics for PG-2940 or XM29+ ?
There’s a service manual for the XM29 (not the plus) on the first page of this thread. Depending on what information you’re looking for, you might find it in that manual.
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

I've been wanting new speakers for my NEC XP-37 too, as they've deteriorated significantly. Anyone know of a website where I can get the right ones?

I was recently able to adjust my monitor to be much brighter than before. Here are the results: https://imgur.com/a/hk2vXlS
lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

Another update on the XV29: the repair person is still working on it, but he told me that, besides the transistors, he also is having to replace a lot of capacitors. He said so far he's tested and replaced about 15-20 of them, and there are a lot more that need to be replaced. Apparently he's pretty busy, so that's partly why it's taking so long. From what he's told me, it sounds like he's being really thorough, and it totally makes sense that the problems he's already found could explain the symptoms the monitor exhibited; so I'm feeling pretty hopeful that, once he's finished with it, the monitor will be in really good shape. Having to wait for it is kind of agonizing, but at least I can play my PS5 in the meantime. :P

On a side note, I have other monitors, but I haven't really been using them lately. I used to think my other monitors were amazing, and they are - but having now used the XV29, everything else seems kind of boring by comparison. The XV29 is so awesome that even switching to something just slightly less awesome just doesn't feel very satisfying anymore. The XV29 has ruined all other monitors for me. On the plus side, the fact that I haven't used the XV29 (or other monitors very much) for such a long time means that when I finally get it back, it's going to be a mind-blowing experience.
Logan Jones wrote:I've been wanting new speakers for my NEC XP-37 too, as they've deteriorated significantly. Anyone know of a website where I can get the right ones?

I was recently able to adjust my monitor to be much brighter than before. Here are the results: https://imgur.com/a/hk2vXlS
You're better off just using external speakers, unless space is an issue. Even then, you could mount them on the wall or something - that's what I've done. The built-in speakers in monitors like this are never very good, and if you're going to use such a high-quality monitor, you really should have some high-quality speakers to go with it.
jjona5

Post by jjona5 »

SpiderWaffle wrote:
xga wrote:
SpiderWaffle wrote:Does anyone have another copy of the XM2950 Service Manual, or know the dip switch settings, pots ect? The one that can be found through the link I posted, easiest link to find on the web, is missing all of the adjustment procedures that would identify the pots ect, and access to service menu.
Did you read the front page of the service manual? It says you need the service manual supplement for the PG-2740 monitor.
Makes sense, need the PG-2740 service manual then, and/or code for service menu, (Pro/Xtra code can't be inputted on the remote, and monitor only has power button).

Did you ever get the service manual?
guut

Post by guut »

Does anyone here have a scan of the PG-2740 Supplement Manual?
I got a defect PG4 (no high voltage) and a colleague is trying to fix it, he told Me that he might need the Supplement Manual.
Already found a couple of NEC manuals (besides the XM2950 linked here in the first post), but no "Supplement" manual.
ElBartoME

Post by ElBartoME »

I also have another question regarding the service manual for the XM-2950G. Down at the schematics are waveforms given for different points the on the board. They are labeled with W1, W2... etc.
But there is no information on where the waveforms are measured. I have no idea where they belong to. Does anybody have an idea?
Cauterize

Post by Cauterize »

I've seen mentioned a few times in this thread the need for a NEC RD-335E remote control to save user presets/changes on the XM29+. The remote is nowhere to be seen on eBay, but I'll keep looking.

In the meantime I found a few LIRC codes for the remote online, including the User Preset button. While I was able to get the power on/off and volume buttons working through these codes, the user preset one documented online (and below) does nothing.

Code: Select all

begin remote

name  RD-335E
  bits           32
  flags SPACE_ENC
  eps            20
  aeps          200

header       8800  4400
  one           550  1650
  zero          550   550
  ptrail        550
  repeat       8800  2200
  gap          38500
  toggle_bit      0

frequency    38000

begin codes

VIS_CTRL,USER_PRESET     0x0000000020DFD926

end codes

end remote
The XM29+ I am trying to do this on is the XM-2960G. Are there any other options or ways to save changes at all? Or has anyone with this model been able to save settings?
No_sleep

Post by No_sleep »

Anyone have any info on the CM monitors? I just picked up a NEC CM-2591A and I can't really find any info about it online.

https://ibb.co/SJ4DRJy
https://ibb.co/D42Cf0c

Looks like there is a 34 pin connector in the back. I'm assuming this is like the Sony connector?
aaron6918

Post by aaron6918 »

Does anyone do repairs here?
Hoping to find someone who has a nec pg-2740 who can service mine.
Hoping to be able to send the pcbs off
guut

Post by guut »

I would like to ask again, if there is anybody who has the PG-2740 Supplement Manual.
A technician was able to fix my 4PG(PG-2940) but the geometry and convergence is not that good and needs treatment. Because this is an earlier Multisync model, there is no OSM, and all the calibration needs to be done via potentiometers, but they are spread across all boards inside the monitor.
Without the supplement manual there is almost no chance to adjust it properly.

I am also willing to pay for it, I didn't find the manual anywhere on the web. Also the companies which are archiving manuals from electronic suppliers, only offered me the manual for the XM2950.
Would be really great if there is someone who can help me out with this request.
If I somehow get the manual, I will also scan it at the office where I work and share it with the community.
Fluxchar

Post by Fluxchar »

Hey guys i have a XM 2960 (plus) and I'm trying to simply get inside to clean it. I cant for the life of me figure out how to open it. You obviously have the 2 big screws on top and on the side... 2 more smaller screws on top and 2 on each side in the back. Also 2 hidden ons almost on the bottom which you need to flip the monitor to access..... still having a hard time hanging the case off and i dont want to damage it. here are the pics of the screws i remove https://imgur.com/gallery/38L0rdW
Atari

Post by Atari »

I'm having with the horizontal width on one of my XM29s, and was wondering if anyone here might be able to help. Basically, if I try to fully open the horizontal width, the picture gets fuzzy. Placing a magnet on what appears to be the weak/bad transformer does help, but it doesn't entirely fix the issue as I cant fully open the horizontal and when I max the width, it causes fuzziness.

I've had it with a repair guy for over two years. He's working on it sporadically but hasn't made any progress, so I'm hoping folks here might have some ideas.

kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

No_sleep wrote:Anyone have any info on the CM monitors? I just picked up a NEC CM-2591A and I can't really find any info about it online.

https://ibb.co/SJ4DRJy
https://ibb.co/D42Cf0c

Looks like there is a 34 pin connector in the back. I'm assuming this is like the Sony connector?
It is indeed, and I am pretty sure that (conveniently!) the pinout is exactly the same
Atari

Post by Atari »

Atari wrote:I'm having with the horizontal width on one of my XM29s, and was wondering if anyone here might be able to help. Basically, if I try to fully open the horizontal width, the picture gets fuzzy. Placing a magnet on what appears to be the weak/bad transformer does help, but it doesn't entirely fix the issue as I cant fully open the horizontal and when I max the width, it causes fuzziness.

I've had it with a repair guy for over two years. He's working on it sporadically but hasn't made any progress, so I'm hoping folks here might have some ideas.
Update: I spoke with the guy today to clarify what has and hasn't been done. He has NOT recapped the chassis (believes that to not be an issue because heating everything up isn't having an impact), and he has NOT changed the horizontal transistor (believes this to not be an issue because it's registering high voltage). He has been focusing on the horizontal pincushion circuit.

If anyone here has thoughts or ideas, I'd love to hear them as it's been at the shop for over 2 years! I'd just really like to get this monitor back, working.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I would definitely try to get it back, 2 years is ridiculous!
lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

I've made a little progress with my monitor's (XV29 Plus') issue, but it hasn't been solved yet. I'm almost certain now that the problem is due to something like a bad solder connection or a failing component somewhere on the front part (near the front panel) of the bottom video board, which also contains all of the front buttons. I think I've narrowed down almost exactly the location of the issue, too - it seems to be somewhere very close to the front VGA and composite/S-video inputs. Given what I know now, I think that if I had direct access to this area of the board, I might actually be able to fix it myself. The only problem is, I'm not entirely sure how to get to the board. I know the board has to be removed for me to access it, but I don't know exactly how to do that. I was thinking about calling the repair person who worked on it once before, and asking for his advice about it. It's also possible that maybe I could remove the board and bring it to him, which would be much easier than trying to transport the whole monitor there again (that's a real pain in the ass). If I can't figure out how to do that, I may end up bringing the whole monitor to him again (he's already told me he'd be willing to look at it again).

As the problem exists now it's really just an annoyance, and it's not likely to get worse over time, but it can be pretty annoying. It's an amazing monitor and I love it overall; if I could just figure out a way to finally solve this one issue, it'd be perfect. It really is the ultimate monitor for retro gaming, nothing else can compare to it. My entire gaming setup is already fully set up to work with it, and it all works perfectly. The monitor's internal issue is the only remaining problem.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

lalilulelo wrote:I've made a little progress with my monitor's (XV29 Plus') issue, but it hasn't been solved yet.
I'm looking forward to seeing you get this monitor on track again. I have an XV29 plus as well and seeing your passion for it makes me appreciate mine more :)
lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

andykara2003 wrote: I'm looking forward to seeing you get this monitor on track again. I have an XV29 plus as well and seeing your passion for it makes me appreciate mine more :)
Thanks. I’ve been meaning to make a video about it for a long time; technically I could do that at any time, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet.
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

So, not even taking into account the audio not working at all, I just want to know if this is any sign of deflection caps failing. If so, which PCB should I remove and replace caps on to fix it? https://photos.app.goo.gl/gug6fwhmhL91dxJg7 https://photos.app.goo.gl/rEopbMYZNUBFSv2A6 (Forgive me, haven't figured out how to properly link from Google Photos.)
lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

A little update. I've made a tiny bit of progress, but I've hit kind of a dead end - I don't know what to do next. I found a pin on one of the capacitors that looked like it had a less than perfect solder connection, so I fixed that. Doing that actually did seem to have some effect - the problem seems to be happening somewhat less frequently now, it was happening quite frequently before - but it didn't solve the issue entirely.

This experience led me to think that the cause of the problem may be something very similar to what I found, just in a different part of the board - like the part I already suspected was the origin of the problem. However, I inspected this area pretty thoroughly, and I don't see anything that looks unusual. So, I think I may have run out of options in this particular line of thinking.

Another idea I had is about what happens when I put pressure on the board: I've found that putting pressure on the bottom part of the monitor (which puts pressure on the bottom video board) affects the issue, but not in a simple way. If the problem occurs on its own, usually putting pressure on it will make it go away, though sometimes it can take multiple tries. If the problem isn't occurring, then sometimes putting pressure on it will make the problem appear. These 2 things led me to think that the problem is due to a bad connection somewhere on this part of the board. However, there's a detail that complicates this theory: sometimes, if the problem is not occurring, if I put pressure on the board, it has no effect at all. This seems to contradict the idea that the problem is due to a bad connection in that part of the board, since if that were they case, I'd expect that putting pressure on the board would always (or almost always) have the same effect. This makes me think that it could be something like a bad capacitor or transformer or something, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, one thing I've tried is putting things underneath the problematic area (to add pressure) to see if that helps with the issue. Sometimes this seems to help temporarily, but the problem always comes back eventually. I've wondered if maybe I just haven't found the exact correct spot to put pressure on it, or the correct amount of pressure to apply. One idea I had (for something I haven't tried yet) is to actually insert something inside the monitor that will add pressure between the board and the surrounding case - this, theoretically, would allow me a greater level of precision over the location of the pressure. So, my question to all of you is, what do you think of that idea? Given everything I've said so far, is there anything else I might want to try? Is there anything I haven't thought of as far as the "pressure adding" idea? I can't easily access the top part of the board currently, and I'm not sure how I would do that. But I can access parts of the bottom of the board. Any ideas?
Akugou

Post by Akugou »

Greetings!

I'm looking to buy a nec xp37 and was wondering if there is a way to get 240p on it... I've read a couple of posts here and sadly I'm not super tech savy, so i understood only half... At most.

Can i just get a line doubler and connect everything to that so the monitor thinks it's getting 480p?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!