NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
JimmyJoeMc

Re: NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread

Post by JimmyJoeMc »

Has anyone tried using the RGB1 or RGB2 passthrough to output to a capture card or second monitor? The manual says to switch it from 75ohm to 'High' when outputting the signal. I haven't tried it to see if it works because it's a pain for me to get back behind my XP29 plus, but I assume it will work, I'm just curious if anyone knows if it would be a problem to leave it in the 'high' setting while not using the output. Could it cause any damage to the monitor or anything?

Basically It's in a display cabinet and I'd have a little output VGA cable to connect when streaming running down next to my consoles that use a Scart to VGA splitter to all go into the RGB input on port 1. It would be amazingly convenient if I could just leave this on 'High" and simply connect my capture card when I want to stream.

Thanks for any knowledge or input
whiskthecat

Post by whiskthecat »

Any interest in yet another component to RGB converter? I just picked up an NEC XP29 Plus and would like to hook up a Wii or OG Xbox to it so I will be making one for myself anyway.

All I can find out in the wild is the COMP2RGB from RetroTink but it seems to be out of stock in the USA and a bit pricey as well at $80 for something built around a $10 chip.

I'm about halfway done with the design at the moment. If at least 10 people show interest I can do a small batch and get some quantity discount on the parts. Also please let me know if there is some other solution already available that I am not aware of. Thanks.

whiskthecat

Post by whiskthecat »

Does anyone have the service manual for XP2990?
lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

So, I've made a bit more progress on repairing the monitor, but it's not fully repaired yet. I could use a little help. The good news is that I think I now know precisely what's wrong with the monitor and how to fix it. The bad news is that, from what I can tell, I can't do the repair job myself. Here's what happened: a friend of mine referred me to a friend of his, who repairs CRTs, who came to my house and looked at the monitor. He concluded that the issue is due to a bad connection with one of the two video boards in the back of the monitor, which fits pretty well with what I was already thinking. There are 2 video boards on the back panel of the monitor, which connect to the bottom video board via what my friend called "15-pin molex connectors". Each of the 2 boards has 3 of these, I think. According to my friend, one of these boards is loose and no longer has a stable connection.

What he thinks happened is that the connection degraded over time just from the monitor being moved around a bunch, and the connections got scratched repeatedly and I guess also some corrosion? (not sure about that last part) and/or some other type of damage to the connectors, so they no longer have a good connection. What he initially wanted to do was unplug the connectors and then plug them back in repeatedly, which he seemed to think would eliminate the bad connection somehow (I guess by clearing out and/or scratching away whatever material is causing the bad connection). However, when he tried to unplug the board, he couldn't, because he said it was too tight. He was worried that if he pulled on it any harder, something might break. So, ultimately he said the only way to permanently fix it would be to desolder all of the molex connectors on the one board and then replace them with new ones. This is definitely beyond my skill level. He said he would do the job, however I've been trying to get ahold of him for weeks and I've heard nothing. So now I'm wondering if there are any alternatives.

Given what I just described, is there any other way to fix this issue? If there were a way to safely remove the problematic board, that might work - however I'm not sure how to do that. Maybe using some type of lubricant? Maybe there's something that both me and my friend missed about how these connectors are supposed to be removed. Any suggestions or thoughts about all of that? Any thoughts on how to solve problems related to molex connectors with bad connections would be helpful.
lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

Akugou wrote:Greetings!

I'm looking to buy a nec xp37 and was wondering if there is a way to get 240p on it... I've read a couple of posts here and sadly I'm not super tech savy, so i understood only half... At most.

Can i just get a line doubler and connect everything to that so the monitor thinks it's getting 480p?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I don't know that much about the XP37, but I know it supports 480p - so yeah, a linedoubler will work. A linedoubler (assuming it has the right type of video output, i.e. RGB/VGA in this case) should work with any device that accepts 480p/31kHz.
WMJ

Post by WMJ »

I recently picked up an NEC XP29 plus that could use some work. I know it has been asked a few times before but I am also looking for the service manual. Link in the first post is dead unfortunately. It would really help me out a great deal. If anyone could share it or pm me I would really appreciate it.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

lalilulelo wrote:
Akugou wrote:Greetings!

I'm looking to buy a nec xp37 and was wondering if there is a way to get 240p on it... I've read a couple of posts here and sadly I'm not super tech savy, so i understood only half... At most.

Can i just get a line doubler and connect everything to that so the monitor thinks it's getting 480p?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I don't know that much about the XP37, but I know it supports 480p - so yeah, a linedoubler will work. A linedoubler (assuming it has the right type of video output, i.e. RGB/VGA in this case) should work with any device that accepts 480p/31kHz.
Does the XP37 not do native 240p? I used to own the XP37 plus, and that thing did it all. Just needed to get something like a sync strike to play 240p. 480p and higher sources had no issue.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

https://archive.org/details/nec-xp-2990 ... ice-manual

I uploaded the XP29 service manual.
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Hey Guys,

I posted a question about my 33" Megaview, but I thought because of how close the XMs are to the Megaviews you guys might have an opinion. Thanks!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69721
WMJ

Post by WMJ »

SuperSpongo wrote:https://archive.org/details/nec-xp-2990 ... ice-manual

I uploaded the XP29 service manual.
Thanks a lot! :D
ShiroHagen

Post by ShiroHagen »

I have been waiting the best part of 10 years to obtain the xm2960 service manual. Thank you so much. I have finally been able to permanently correct and save some of the geometry issues on this monitor. It is so refreshing not to have to correct geometry every time I switch it on or swap sources :P thanks again!
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Big day for NEC XM29 owners! This elusive "PG-2740 Manual Supplement" has not been available online until today! I paid a company quite a bit of money to have it digitized, complete with text search into a PDF file. It contains service procedures, and schematics that are sorely needed in our little community of owners. Please take a look through it and let me know your thoughts! The text from some of the schematics is super tiny, and I'm hoping the quality in the document is adequate. Thanks to the people who have been asking me about this for their immense patience! It took 3 separate tries of mailing this manual back and forth to get someone to convert this for me, so I hope you get some use out of it!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iNVWAg ... p=drivesdk

shmupsman

Post by shmupsman »

thank you very much for that........................
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

aaronmjr wrote:Big day for NEC XM29 owners! This elusive "PG-2740 Manual Supplement" has not been available online until today! I paid a company quite a bit of money to have it digitized, complete with text search into a PDF file. It contains service procedures, and schematics that are sorely needed in our little community of owners. Please take a look through it and let me know your thoughts! The text from some of the schematics is super tiny, and I'm hoping the quality in the document is adequate. Thanks to the people who have been asking me about this for their immense patience! It took 3 separate tries of mailing this manual back and forth to get someone to convert this for me, so I hope you get some use out of it!

I skimmed over it. OCR work appears to be incomplete for the schematics pages. I don't know how the original is but it looks like the schematics pages could do with higher scan resolution and/or less processing.
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Lord of Pirates wrote:
aaronmjr wrote:Big day for NEC XM29 owners! This elusive "PG-2740 Manual Supplement" has not been available online until today! I paid a company quite a bit of money to have it digitized, complete with text search into a PDF file. It contains service procedures, and schematics that are sorely needed in our little community of owners. Please take a look through it and let me know your thoughts! The text from some of the schematics is super tiny, and I'm hoping the quality in the document is adequate. Thanks to the people who have been asking me about this for their immense patience! It took 3 separate tries of mailing this manual back and forth to get someone to convert this for me, so I hope you get some use out of it!

I skimmed over it. OCR work appears to be incomplete for the schematics pages. I don't know how the original is but it looks like the schematics pages could do with higher scan resolution and/or less processing.
Thank you for taking a look! I noticed the schematics aren't as sharp as the actual paper copy too. I've contacted the company to see what they can do.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

Very cool! Thank you for having it digitized :-)
lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

I’ve been doing some work on my XV29 Plus, and I’m now thinking that it might be possible to solve its issue by adjusting things internally - like things involving either the vertical position or the blanking signal. I’ve already determined that the external controls can’t help with this. There are pots inside the monitor in various places, like on the neck board and video boards. I thought adjusting one of these might help. However, I don’t know what they do. Does anyone either have a service manual for the XV29 Plus, or can tell me what the various pots do, or otherwise have any advice on things I could try? Right now I’m mainly focused on things like the sync signals in the video input circuit, and the blanking signal. There’s also a component I’ve been looking at that I think could be of interest - I haven’t been able to identify it, but I think it might be a thermistor. I can provide pictures of that if someone asks.
Hursit

Post by Hursit »

Hello people
i have NEC Multisync PG-2940g

I tried to connect Dreamcast and Mister but there is a sync problem.
Please check the pictures and the video to see details.
I hope someone can help me about it

Video
https://imgur.com/cPT8aSE
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Hursit wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:30 am Hello people
i have NEC Multisync PG-2940g

I tried to connect Dreamcast and Mister but there is a sync problem.
Please check the pictures and the video to see details.
I hope someone can help me about it

Video
https://imgur.com/cPT8aSE
Dumb question but do you have a sync cleaner like a sync strike or anything? I needed one of those when i had an NEC. I don't remember if that applies for 480p resolutions tho which the mister should be able to display.