JVC TM-H and DT-V thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
lewolfeur

Re: JVC TM-H and DT-V thread

Post by lewolfeur »

the dtv tube is from mitsubishi (there the logo melco is a sub company of mitsubishi) maybe something different added when they build it.
Last edited by lewolfeur on Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

lewolfeur wrote:the dtv tube is from mitsubishi maybe something different added when they build it.
I see, thanks.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Namingway_PL wrote:
werk91 wrote:
tacoguy64 wrote:Hitting a bit of a snag with my JVC DTV. I think I'm having sync issues. Both my N64 and SNES load up with a black screen and randomly flashes an image of game after a few seconds. From the sounds of it I might need a different SCART to BNC cable than the one I was using with my BVM. I'm is the cable I got from wookieewin from ebay. Though I'm also having trouble trying to access the menu. So far I can only read where my card is plugged into.
If you press Menu followed by Down key, you will access the full menu (if doesn't work try Down followed by Menu (i'm away from my monitor to confirm)) :)
To access the menu You have press down + left.

To access the service menu You have to press Menu + down then a "!" will appear. Now You have press down + left and "please don't touch" will appear then, press right, or any other button.

That worked. I was able to access the menu and set the sync setting to ext. and now my systems are working. First impressions are very good. I don't remember if the monitor was new or refurbished but this thing has 000 hours I think. It was made in 2007 so that has to be like one of the last years for these monitors. The picture is looking really good. I can't put it side by side with my BVM but I think it gives it a good run for its money. Will post pics later.

After almost 3 years I can finally play on this monitor.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Pretty sure 2007 was indeed the last year these were made. Great you can finally enjoy the monitor!

In an unrelated note I did a lame thing yesterday, fuelled by eBay giving me 20% off everything voucher. I've been watching a Turbo Duo-R that's RGB modded and also saw a TurboED cart... With the voucher I was making about £70 in savings so I just went for it, treat myself for the new year I thought. Some hours later I remembered about the image skew PCE has on JVC monitors, and then also saw about the Super SD System 3 attachment that's being made. FML :lol:

EDIT: If Super SD System 3 will actually fix the irregular RGB output we don't fully know yet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Ssds3 grabs sync from h and v and rebuilds csync to avoid the jitter normal csync has.
lewolfeur

Post by lewolfeur »

werk91 wrote:Pretty sure 2007 was indeed the last year these were made. Great you can finally enjoy the monitor!
I have one from september 2008. dt-v1710cgEF
werk91

Post by werk91 »

lewolfeur wrote:
werk91 wrote:Pretty sure 2007 was indeed the last year these were made. Great you can finally enjoy the monitor!
I have one from september 2008. dt-v1710cgEF
Have you ever connected Neo Geo AES or PCE consoles via RGB to it? In case the newer revision does anything different sync-wise :P
lewolfeur

Post by lewolfeur »

Its only revision of pcb board no really change in software version, with a aes there is no change still same problem like my 1900.
munchiaz

Post by munchiaz »

So i've had a DT-V19 for a few years now, and its served me well. I'm moving soon and space is an issue, and i already have a sony pvm 20m2mdu. What do you guys think is a fair price to sell the monitor for. I got it from a friend a few years ago for $200.
creib

Post by creib »

munchiaz wrote:So i've had a DT-V19 for a few years now, and its served me well. I'm moving soon and space is an issue, and i already have a sony pvm 20m2mdu. What do you guys think is a fair price to sell the monitor for. I got it from a friend a few years ago for $200.
do you prefer the 20m2mdu over the DT-V19?
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

If you have a local friend who would enjoy it, I'd pass it along for roughly what you paid. IMO shipping one is more hassle than moving with it and finding a place to put it (like on top of the 20M2 :)).
mrmop520

Post by mrmop520 »

munchiaz wrote:So i've had a DT-V19 for a few years now, and its served me well. I'm moving soon and space is an issue, and i already have a sony pvm 20m2mdu. What do you guys think is a fair price to sell the monitor for. I got it from a friend a few years ago for $200.
I'd be interested if you're somewhat close to VA on the off chance ;)
haightc

Post by haightc »

Where are you located, location can play a big impact of what the going rate is. I would buy the DTV off you, I prefer these JVC monitors or all my Sony PVMs. I you are some place where PVMs are prevalent, like LA, then $100-$200. Elsewhere you might be about to sell it for $400, but I for me personally it might be a bit of a stretch.
munchiaz

Post by munchiaz »

I do prefer my sony PVM to the JVC. I like the curved screen, and it seems to work better with my consoles. I'm selling locally to a friend who will be giving me a OSSC. So i'll have best of both worlds
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

munchiaz wrote:I like the curved screen
Oh really? Me I am the other way, I prefer flat screens, so the JVC DT-V17/19 are right up my alley. If you are into curved screens, you should check the Ikegamis, they have some of the curviest screens around.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Anyone used a Dreamcast in 480p through Toro VGA box on the DTV before? Noticed last night it has a very slight upper skew on mine (no way near as noticeable as on PCE). Don't think I'll bother too much as when I'm playing a game I forget about it straight away.

I have another Neo Geo related question. I know the Ne Geo AES has the aforementioned upper skew but what about a consolized MVS motherboard? Do they have different quality RGB output from each other or its the same sync circuit?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

I'm not really into the Neo Geo, but I've read that the AES and MVS are exactly the same system just using different formats, so using one or the other wouldn't change anything.

Have you tried to add an Extron RGB interface before the DT-V and see if things improve? Especially talking about the PCE. They (well, at least a few models) are known to output a stable signal if you feed them the PCE separate sync, so there's that at least. I still have to buy one or two of these boxes.

Regarding the sync issue, Marqs is currently working on an ad-hoc solution for the NES and SNES which hopefully will be integrated in a future revision of NESRGB and SNES RGB bypass boards, so those will be covered hopefully. It would be nice to have an external solution to be used with different systems (kind of an Extron interface that is actually reliable), apparently there was at least one project that went in that direction, so probably it's doable? Mike Chi from RetroTink also added a sync regeneration feature on his Raspberry Pi DAC that addresses the issue, but that won't be of use for actual consoles.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

I've read that the MVS motherboard is 60hz with set h and v refresh rates so not even PAL or NTSC like the AES home version is. As for an Extron I even have one sitting in a box but I can't utilise it because I don't have my SyncStrike with me :? Maybe I'll think of getting another one, don't really know any other ways of connecting consoles to an Extron. It's not just the physical connection as those RGB interfaces expect clean sync afaik.

EDIT: If we all agree that the Ikegami's issue in the other thread stems from the same reason then this made me think that Neo Geo CMVS should be okay:
Keep in mind that most consoles work just fine with unmodified composite video being fed into the Ikegami's ext. sync input. My Mega Drive, Saturn, Neo Geo CMVS, PS1 and 2, and MSX all display without any flaws.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

werk91 wrote:Anyone used a Dreamcast in 480p through Toro VGA box on the DTV before? Noticed last night it has a very slight upper skew on mine (no way near as noticeable as on PCE). Don't think I'll bother too much as when I'm playing a game I forget about it straight away.

I have another Neo Geo related question. I know the Ne Geo AES has the aforementioned upper skew but what about a consolized MVS motherboard? Do they have different quality RGB output from each other or its the same sync circuit?
Unfortunately my 2 slot CMVS also has the upper skew problem on this monitor.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

I gave up and ordered another SyncStrike in the end. If the Extron is so crucial for a few systems then not much point in fighting it. Time to add more cabling to the rats nest... :lol:
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

@werk91 - Cool, please let us know if the Extron box solves or at least alleviates the skew issue! Also its model, since apparently they differ in their sync regen feature too..

Btw, I casually bumped into this listing here for a DT-V17 - don't know if it's still for sale, probably not considering that it's a fully equipped specimen at £50, oh man :|
werk91

Post by werk91 »

SyncStrike was dispatched yesterday so update coming very soon =] Would be good to put that all to rest so I can actually play the Turbo Duo I got months ago lol.

Damn! That's a fantastic offer. :o
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

Xer Xian wrote:Btw, I casually bumped into this listing here for a DT-V17 - don't know if it's still for sale, probably not considering that it's a fully equipped specimen at £50, oh man :|
Unfortunately that's just the hire price. I think he has some for sale at £350 each though.
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

Stupid question time: Will DT-V monitors display a 24khz signal?
werk91

Post by werk91 »

I'd imagine it'll work, generally they're considered multiscan monitors so should sync to it okay.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Well the declared accepted horizontal scanning frequency is 15kHz/27kHz - 45kHz (whatever that means), but I'm not sure they will sync to everything in that range. I could create a custom 24kHz resolution with a scaler and see if my DT-V17 likes it, but 1) it would be a bit of a pain since I currently have it stored away in its box and especially 2) that won't actually guarantee that it'll work fine with old Japanese PCs (of which I don't have any) since they apparently have a problematic sync signal like so many other hardware of that time period :( Forum member Kamiboy did a write-up here (pertains to Sony monitors, but may very well apply to JVC's too).
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

Xer Xian wrote:Well the declared accepted horizontal scanning frequency is 15kHz/27kHz - 45kHz (whatever that means), but I'm not sure they will sync to everything in that range. I could create a custom 24kHz resolution with a scaler and see if my DT-V17 likes it, but 1) it would be a bit of a pain since I currently have it stored away in its box and especially 2) that won't actually guarantee that it'll work fine with old Japanese PCs (of which I don't have any) since they apparently have a problematic sync signal like so many other hardware of that time period :( Forum member Kamiboy did a write-up here (pertains to Sony monitors, but may very well apply to JVC's too).
Yeah, I had seen the cryptic spec-sheet frequency range before. I hadn't heard that Japanese PCs might have flaws in their sync signals, though. With the PC-98, it sounds like he wasn't getting vertical sync at all - probably he was either feeding his BVM a signal in a format it couldn't begin to parse, or the vertical refresh of the PC-98 might actually be slightly out of range.

I don't even know exactly what I would use a 24khz monitor for. It's more a case of wondering whether I should keep my DT-V or get rid of it to lower the number of CRTs I own and placate my wife. 24khz capability would be a big point in the DT-V's favor, as none of my other monitors support it.

Thanks for the link! :D
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Xer Xian wrote:@werk91 - Cool, please let us know if the Extron box solves or at least alleviates the skew issue! Also its model, since apparently they differ in their sync regen feature too...
While the Extron helps it is far from ideal. Normally the skew goes to the right, turning SERR on the unit will switch it to the left, in result some of the bottom of the skew is eliminated. The main advantage is the stabilisation of the shaking at the top of the image. The Extron definitely introduces wavy interference to other inputs in my switcher so connecting it directly to the monitor would be the way to go, still not sure what will happen with consoles that don't have the skew going through it ( I certainly can't leave just the PCE going through it, or I'll have no inputs for the other three consoles in the switcher ).
Tried playing a bit of Lords of Thunder and I can definitely enjoy the game without being bothered about the top of the image. Xer Xian, what do you mean by connecting the separate sync of the PCE to the Extron exactly? If me using the SyncStrike isn't doing that then I'll need some sort of custom cable I imagine.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

SamIAm wrote:I don't even know exactly what I would use a 24khz monitor for. It's more a case of wondering whether I should keep my DT-V or get rid of it to lower the number of CRTs I own and placate my wife. 24khz capability would be a big point in the DT-V's favor, as none of my other monitors support it.
Well I dug out my DT-V for testing this among other downscaling-related matters. I used the 24kHz timings listed in the UVC thread (with a couple of assumptions - dunno know how correct - due to the various sync elements being lumped together on the specific scaler I used) and got something :)

Image Image (disregard the 640x480@72Hz label - it's just the original resolution's label overwritten with the custom 24kHz timings)

But as you can see the image is squished and cut on the right-hand side. I don't know if it's a compatibility issue or just due to wrong settings - sorry I didn't investigate further.

Also I don't know what to say in regard to the hard choice of getting rid of a lovely CRT.. maybe keep it and toss the wife away? :lol:
werk91 wrote:While the Extron helps it is far from ideal.
Thanks for reporting back. Disappointing to hear that the Extron helped only partially :( but I was kinda expecting that honestly.
Regarding the PCEngine's separate sync - I'm not sure using it vs. combined H+V sync is of any importance. That is just what the random japanese guy tapped from the internals of his PCE Duo to run through additional circuitry and get a stable image on a DT-V, but again it's unclear whether or not it makes an actual difference over RGBs.

I still plan to get an Extron box for my final setup - specifically the 3-inputs one so that it can serve as a switcher AND convert everything to sync on green to spare me the trouble of changing the sync type every time I use Component (not nice having to access the sorta-hidden Set-up Menu every time you need to change the INT/EXT sync setting).
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

Holy cow! Thank you for checking that! :D

I'll mark the DT-V as a tentative "yes" for 24khz compatibility. I think that by tweaking the settings, you could get that picture straightened out, or close enough to it.

I think it's time I looked into picking up a junk X68000 to fix up.

Thanks again!