JVC TM-H and DT-V thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ninja-xyz

Re: JVC TM-H and DT-V thread

Post by Ninja-xyz »

I would like to connect the jvc dt-v1710 to the pc, but I was able to do it only in 480p. Here's how: I have an ati video card and crt emudrivers. The vga cable arrives at the umsa scart adapter which transforms the signal from rgbhv into rgbs scart and with this arrival at the monitor which has an if comg clone card with scart socket. This way you can only see well in 480p but the image vibrates slightly. At 240p or 720p the image is distorted and wavy. Could I solve it with Extron in rgsb?

cyborc wrote:in my experience with the DT-V, even when using RGBHV, all 240p sources had this "micro jitter" problem that drove me crazy. I eventually found the solution was to use an Extron RGB 109xi and output RGsB. This completely eliminated the micro jitter and also fixed any skew problems that certain systems had.
Could this connfiguration work? Extron 109xi set to rgsb > 4 x BNC to RGBS Female SCART - connecting only the three rgb cables to the extron (like this https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/son ... verter-bnc ) > Scart with luma sync ( https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/eur ... 20shielded ) > monitor with scart socket
bzn

Post by bzn »

I own a few JVC TM-H series monitors and really enjoy their picture.

Unfortunately, most of them exhibit this highlight bleed into shadows, as shown in exaggeration on this picture (TM-H1750CG, SNES over RGBs, effect present on other signals and sources, including the onscreen menu)
Spoiler
Do you you know what the proper name for it is (I've heard color bleed, highlight bleed, edge sharpness, bloom, glow even anti-burn-in)

I've seen relatively fresh JVC monitors with 15k hours and perfect geometry where this effect is very strong and units with maxed out hour meters (65k+) where it's hardly an issue. The fact that different units of the same model exhibit this do a different degree makes me think it's a wear or a settings issue.

Is this a tired tube? Or can be fixed in a major way with a recap?
badsector

Post by badsector »

Just some possible solutions to the problems some people had:
I think somebody already mentioned the GBS Control in passthrough as fix for sync problems on DT-V monitors. Same with the OSSC in passthrough, eliminated all the skewing problems.
It might be a hassle to convert HDMI back to component but there are relatively cheap converters made by Portta that do the trick. The Portta converters can also be used to connect 480p and 720p sources (PC, PS3, 360, Switch, PS4) to the DT-V monitors and don't seem to introduce any lag. The power connector just has to be unplugged and replugged again from time to time when they introduce flicker or wrong colors.
Another possibility to convert HDMI to a signal the DT-V monitors can use is one of those HDMI to VGA + audio jack adapters. From there you can go with a VGA to 5BNC cable and an audio cable.
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

I recently got two JVC TM-H1700G monitors, and both of them seem to have the exact same issue.

When I try to set the horizontal size to fill the screen, 1cm to the edge the middle of the image stops expanding, only the top and bottom, and the image is distorted.

I don't know what's going on because both monitors behave exactly the same way, and aside from that everything works perfectly fine and both monitors are in really good condition. Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/SXzrau3Il3w

[update]

So I managed to fix the issue. I found a pot on the main board labeled "B1 ADJ" and after tuning it, the image expanded and filled the whole screen without distortion, so now everything is as it should.

Out of curiousity, I hooked up my TM-H1950CG today, and discovered that it does exactly the same thing, so I'm guessing that this is quite normal with those monitors, and this is not an issue.
frommel

Post by frommel »

I am a very happy owner of a JVC DT-V1710CG.

The where various settings that where really bad adjusted when I got the unit from a tv studio. Luckily due the service manual I adjusted most of them back to factory settings.
But I was wondering, what does C[C41] AKB Setting (auto kine bias?) setting do in the CPU block service settings do? Mine is at 002 while the initial setting is 000.

Does anybody have more info on this? The service guide is quite limited in information regarding the AKB setting.
captaineos

Post by captaineos »

Hi
I need advice on what to do about my TM 15" please. Monitor is ultra low hours and as new condition. Problem is it's only sharp in the center / can only be sharp in a very narrow plane. If I adjust focus for the centre, then the edges are distractingly soft. Noticable on flash cart menus for example. I have no idea why this would be.

I have a second JVC TM 15" that is cometically beat up and used in a colour grading business. With all it's probable use, this one is sharp edge to edge and looks awesome.

Is it possible the under-use of my first TM 15" has caused something to go out of spec leading to narrow plane of acheivable focus?

I need to sell one but would prefer to keep the cosmetically perfect one if I can get the picture sorted. I have enough experience to 'get in there' but wanted help narrowing down where to look. Caps??!!
Downcry

Post by Downcry »

Anyone know what any of the DT-V1900CG “SELF-CHECK INDICATIONS” mean?
They are error codes these units will display if there is a problem.

The code I’m getting is a blinking Input D.
okgrak

Post by okgrak »

For those interested, or stumble upon this at some point trying to restore one of these sets, I've created a full cap kit for the Main PWB, Neck Board, and Deflection board for the TM-H1950CG and TM-H1750CG (and I also believe the TM-H1700 and TM-1900 series). I verified all caps both physically on the board and through the service manual. All caps are 105c Nichicon (1 type is Panasonic) and sized to match.

It is saved on Mouser here:

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/P ... 9822372cd8

Update:
I've removed capacitor C453 from this list.

This is the bi-polar ultra high ripple current capacitor used for the horizontal deflection circuit. These are been out of production for a long time and are extremely hard to find.

If you need to replace this cap, you'll want to get a 4.7uf 50V cap that can at handle 4.5+A of ripple current. The modern equivalents max out at 200ma and were not designed for this application.
Here is the original cap used on the board:
https://www.samyoung.co.kr/download/miniature/KSA.pdf

I'm guessing very soon these will become unobtanium, with the only solution to build an equivalent circuit with multiple polarized ( Low ESR and high ripple current ) caps in series.
Last edited by okgrak on Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbard

Post by hbard »

Downcry wrote:Anyone know what any of the DT-V1900CG “SELF-CHECK INDICATIONS” mean?
They are error codes these units will display if there is a problem.

The code I’m getting is a blinking Input D.
I tried to find a DT-V1900CG service manual. This is from a 1710CG service manual. If they share the same codes, its flagging "X-rays detected"
https://i.imgur.com/5Soka2F.png
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

okgrak wrote:For those interested. I've created a full cap kit for the Main PWB, Neck Board, and Deflection board for the PM-H1950CG and PM-H1750CG. I verified all caps both physically on the board and through the service manual. All caps are 105c Nichicon (1 type is Panasonic) and sized to match.

This is excellent! Thank you!
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

Hello!

I need some help with one of my JVC DT-V1710CG's.

The monitor works great and all, but it has a slight geometry issue at the top of the screen:

It's probably caps, but can anyone point out which particular caps are responsible for geometry? Or at least give any leads on where to look for them? I really don't want to make a full recap because it is the only issue that the monitor has.

Thanks in advance!
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

This is not caps or failure.
The monitor is super sensitive to sync signals, and malformed sync signals are common in video games. The result is your pic, often called upperskew or flagging. Yours is very minor, but it can get far worse.

The solution is running the signal though a device that restores H + V sync and use it on your input card (so if you use an recent clone card make sure it has H + V inputs), like an Extron box or a GBS-Control.
mrpvmsouthafrica

Post by mrpvmsouthafrica »

okgrak wrote:For those interested, or stumble upon this at some point trying to restore one of these sets, I've created a full cap kit for the Main PWB, Neck Board, and Deflection board for the TM-H1950CG and TM-H1750CG (and I also believe the TM-H1700 and TM-1900 series). I verified all caps both physically on the board and through the service manual. All caps are 105c Nichicon (1 type is Panasonic) and sized to match.

Update:
I've removed capacitor C453 from this list.

This is the bi-polar ultra high ripple current capacitor used for the horizontal deflection circuit. These are been out of production for a long time and are extremely hard to find.

If you need to replace this cap, you'll want to get a 4.7uf 50V cap that can at handle 4.5+A of ripple current. The modern equivalents max out at 200ma and were not designed for this application.
Here is the original cap used on the board:
https://www.samyoung.co.kr/download/miniature/KSA.pdf

I'm guessing very soon these will become unobtanium, with the only solution to build an equivalent circuit with multiple polarized ( Low ESR and high ripple current ) caps in series.
Hi there,

Thanks for your work on creating cap list.

I recently picked up two TM-H1750cg that were destined for the dumps. They both work but do need caps replaced as well as some metal resistors which look to be slightly rusting / breaking.

My question is, where did you find the parts manual for the 1750CG, I've looked and can only find user manuals etc.

I have quite a decent local electronics store, so I'd like to compile my own list to pick up from.
Birth > Life > Worldwide COVID Lockdown > Unexplainable love for PVMs & Retro Consoles
mrpvmsouthafrica

Namingway_PL wrote:I recently got two JVC TM-H1700G monitors, and both of them seem to have the exact same issue.

When I try to set the horizontal size to fill the screen, 1cm to the edge the middle of the image stops expanding, only the top and bottom, and the image is distorted.

I don't know what's going on because both monitors behave exactly the same way, and aside from that everything works perfectly fine and both monitors are in really good condition. Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/SXzrau3Il3w

[update]

So I managed to fix the issue. I found a pot on the main board labeled "B1 ADJ" and after tuning it, the image expanded and filled the whole screen without distortion, so now everything is as it should.

Out of curiousity, I hooked up my TM-H1950CG today, and discovered that it does exactly the same thing, so I'm guessing that this is quite normal with those monitors, and this is not an issue.
Hi there,

Im having the same issue on my TM-H1750CG monitors, where the (i think) DA2 setting is almost maxing out , max being 063 and mine sitting on 055, anything above 055 and I also get the stretching horizontally at corners, but the center remains still. I can't horizontally stretch the image to fill screen at 055, there is about a half cm to each side before it touch crt edge.

What I'm genuinely confused about is how you've "fixed" this? You've essentially adjusted a trim pot on the main board which has to do with Voltage adjustment, specifically B1 Voltage. If I'm not mistaken thats about Low Light voltage to tube, so what has that got to do with Horizontal stretching of image? I'm a bit weary to tamper with B1 as it doesn't seem to be deflection related, or maybe I'm mistaken. Can anyone else chime in please?
Last edited by mrpvmsouthafrica on Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birth > Life > Worldwide COVID Lockdown > Unexplainable love for PVMs & Retro Consoles
mrpvmsouthafrica

Hey guys,

I'm about to embark on recapping one of my 1750CGs and I made this "map".

Thought it might be useful to someone. I did double check, but please still do your bit as I won't accept responsibility if anything goes wrong. Use at your own risk. That being said, it should be 100% correct :lol:

Image[/URL]
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

Ryoandr wrote:This is not caps or failure.
The monitor is super sensitive to sync signals, and malformed sync signals are common in video games. The result is your pic, often called upperskew or flagging. Yours is very minor, but it can get far worse.

The solution is running the signal though a device that restores H + V sync and use it on your input card (so if you use an recent clone card make sure it has H + V inputs), like an Extron box or a GBS-Control.
Hi! Sorry for a very late response!

Yes this was a sync issue, and the monitor is fine :) In my setup I use a sync strike for this, and I'm aware of the sync issues with the DT-V, but the monitor was at my friends place, and I totaly forgot about this :p

So thanks for the reminder! ;)

@mrpvmsouthafrica :

I've tried this on all of tm-h models and it is totaly safe to do, and always works the same. That is turning the pot makes the image to expand horizontally, and squishes it vertically. Just try it, it wont damge anything if You do.

Also there is a setting on signal block that can help You to expand the image a bit, but I don't remember which one at the moment.

Wysłane z mojego H3113 przy użyciu Tapatalka
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Hey guys, joining the JVC gang soon. Does anyone have a spare IF-C01PNG input card for composite and s-video? Guessing many people that have them rarely if ever use them with the availability of RGB, but it'd be pretty useful to me.
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

fernan1234 wrote:Hey guys, joining the JVC gang soon. Does anyone have a spare IF-C01PNG input card for composite and s-video? Guessing many people that have them rarely if ever use them with the availability of RGB, but it'd be pretty useful to me.
I sold one just recently. I think this is the rarest one of the JVC cards. I've never seen I single one for sale except for the one that I sold, but good luck on finding one!

I suppose that You are planning to use it with the DT-V right? To be honest, composite and s-video are better on the TM-H monitors. They have composite and s-video inputs by default and it would be much easier to find one than the IF-C01PNG.

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Namingway_PL wrote:I sold one just recently. I think this is the rarest one of the JVC cards. I've never seen I single one for sale except for the one that I sold, but good luck on finding one!

I suppose that You are planning to use it with the DT-V right? To be honest, composite and s-video are better on the TM-H monitors. They have composite and s-video inputs by default and it would be much easier to find one than the IF-C01PNG.
Ah, too bad I missed the chance! Yes, they do seem to be harder to find loose than the original RGB cards, you only really see them on monitors that already have them installed. And I do want it for a DT-V monitor. The TM-H monitors are a better option, but I'd prefer to have a one-monitor solution if possible. Anyway, thanks! I'll keep hoping to encounter one eventually.

Here's another question, maybe someone who has opened up one of these monitor or taken picture of the inside could help me. The monitor I got is a Victor-branded one for the Japanese market, and its officially rated for 100V AC 60Hz power. However, I spoke with someone who's been using one with US 120AC mains power without issues or need for a stepdown transformer. The JVC-branded units for other markets must have voltage regulators since they're rated for universal 110-240V power. Now I'm doubting Victor would go through the trouble of using a different power board, but I'd like to play it safe and open up the monitor to confirm, I just have little idea what to look for lacking electrical engineering knowledge. Anyone know what I should look for, or have a picture of a JVC unit's power board to compare?
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

The DT-V doesn't have a seperate PSU, all components are on the main board. I'm not a technician either, so I would just use a power converter.
KingCock

Post by KingCock »

Hi!
Like many of you i got a Dt v-1710cg and experience the warping in the upper part of the screen, i am however using crt_emudriver and was wondering if i could change some settings instead of getting a extron? or would it solve it if i got a D-sub to 5x BNC instead of a 4x?
Also unrelated to this my retroarch wont change resolution to anything other than 480p when i load a game, but that's neither here or there
ghairat

Post by ghairat »

Hi,
I have an issue with my JVC TM-H1950cg which I still haven't solved.

See the following video to see the problem: https://www.dropbox.com/s/chfsg8hbp0l30 ... 0.mov?dl=0

You see, there are some "flicker" actions going on, and sorry for using the worst background example, but the "flickers" are still noticeable if you pay attention. Just to make sure so that the issue is not the RGB card, I tested composite but the same issue arises. Even when not powering on a console, and when I bring up the menu on the monitor, the flickering is still happening. Anyone else that has stumbled upon this issue?
treminaor

Post by treminaor »

mrpvmsouthafrica wrote:Hey guys,

I'm about to embark on recapping one of my 1750CGs and I made this "map".

Thought it might be useful to someone. I did double check, but please still do your bit as I won't accept responsibility if anything goes wrong. Use at your own risk. That being said, it should be 100% correct :lol:
What did you use to write on your picture? Looks like handwriting, and looks like you were writing directly on the pic using something like an iPad with a pen? If so that definitely sounds like something I could find very useful.
bzn wrote: I've seen relatively fresh JVC monitors with 15k hours and perfect geometry where this effect is very strong and units with maxed out hour meters (65k+) where it's hardly an issue. The fact that different units of the same model exhibit this do a different degree makes me think it's a wear or a settings issue.
Yes you are correct, this is a configuration problem with the CRT. The light bleeding is caused by the beam being too strong which makes it larger than the mask holes... causing light to bleed to adjacent mask holes. Yours is probably one of the worst I've ever seen.

It can be mitigated but you may need to open up the case of the TV so you can access the potentiometers on the neckboard for the CRT. Does the bleeding get better when you turn down contrast significantly?

As a general rule, to reduce the beam size for a CRT you should try to minimize brightness using whatever front panel control the CRT has, raise the screen voltage via the flyback adjustment until just before you see a grey background with retrace lines (lower it back until the background is black again), and then tweak the contrast until you get a good peak white level. Use both the RGB Color Bars and Plunge tests from 240p test suite to evaluate your work while tweaking settings.
HoldyourfireImahuman

Post by HoldyourfireImahuman »

Hello all!

https://imgur.com/a/ONNpnNn

My dtv-17 has a white bleed/glow at the top of the screen. I was wondering if it's perhaps v blanking that needs adjusting but can't seem to find it in the service menu. Any ideas?
Thanks!
HoldyourfireImahuman

As a general rule, to reduce the beam size for a CRT you should try to minimize brightness using whatever front panel control the CRT has, raise the screen voltage via the flyback adjustment until just before you see a grey background with retrace lines (lower it back until the background is black again), and then tweak the contrast until you get a good peak white level. Use both the RGB Color Bars and Plunge tests from 240p test suite to evaluate your work while tweaking settings.
[/quote]

I have a simliar light bleed issue on my dt-v17, would you be able to illustrate which pot I need to adjust on the flyback? Thanks.
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

HoldyourfireImahuman wrote:Hello all!

My dtv-17 has a white bleed/glow at the top of the screen. I was wondering if it's perhaps v blanking that needs adjusting but can't seem to find it in the service menu. Any ideas?
Thanks!
If it comes to this light bleed, You will have to live with it.

I don't think that there is a way to fix this. I've mentioned it a, few years ago in this thread, but never recived any answers. Now I think it's more of an unwanted feature of the DT-V than an issue.

I owned several DT-V1710CG units in great condition ranging from 1k to 3k hours of use and all of them had this light bleed. My DT-V1910CG also has it and it's the same on my friends monitor too. There is no setting that will fix this. Even a full recap won't change a thing.

Try running the monitor in 480p or 720p, You will notice that the light bleed will change when You switch to a diffrent resolution.

On my DT-V1910CG it's only noticable when displaying a NTSC 60Hz 240p image. But I don't see it on PAL games, or when playing games in 480p oraz higher.
HoldyourfireImahuman

Namingway_PL wrote:
HoldyourfireImahuman wrote:Hello all!

Thanks!
If it comes to this light bleed, You will have to live with it.

I don't think that there is a way to fix this. I've mentioned it a, few years ago in this thread, but never recived any answers. Now I think it's more of an unwanted feature of the DT-V than an issue.

I owned several DT-V1710CG units in great condition ranging from 1k to 3k hours of use and all of them had this light bleed. My DT-V1910CG also has it and it's the same on my friends monitor too. There is no setting that will fix this. Even a full recap won't change a thing.

Try running the monitor in 480p or 720p, You will notice that the light bleed will change when You switch to a diffrent resolution.

On my DT-V1910CG it's only noticable when displaying a NTSC 60Hz 240p image. But I don't see it on PAL games, or when playing games in 480p oraz higher.
Are you referring to a spot of light at the top of the screen where the image meets the bezel? Or a general light bleed when there's white against black...Thanks for your reply!
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

The spot light at the top, that You've mentioned and showed on the photo. Every DT-V that I've seen had it.

HoldyourfireImahuman

Namingway_PL wrote:The spot light at the top, that You've mentioned and showed on the photo. Every DT-V that I've seen had it.

Interesting, I had never noticed it until recently so feel like it sort of appeared. Oh well, it's not really noticeable in game anyway I guess. Thanks!
bzn

Post by bzn »

treminaor wrote:Yours is probably one of the worst I've ever seen.
This is an exaggerated picture, its not nearly as bad in person, especially in actual games, but the halo is nevertheless very visible around white text and such.
treminaor wrote:raise the screen voltage via the flyback adjustment until just before you see a grey background with retrace lines (lower it back until the background is black again), and then tweak the contrast until you get a good peak white level. Use both the RGB Color Bars and Plunge tests from 240p test suite to evaluate your work while tweaking settings.
These sets actually have a service mode that draws a horizontal line to help tune G1 (SCREEN VR), which I have done according to the manual.
I have set B1 voltage to 53V as recommended and subjectively both settings yield the best picture when set as recommended.
treminaor wrote:Does the bleeding get better when you turn down contrast significantly?
Lowering the contrast does not really help the halo.
Effect does change depending on viewing angle (photo taken from center axis) which leads experienced people to believe that its just internal reflections off the glass. However, other users of multiple TM-Hs also report that effect varies between units. Could be due to wear or just psychological though.