JVC TM-H and DT-V thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Namingway_PL

Re: JVC TM-H and DT-V thread

Post by Namingway_PL »

I tried connecting a PS1 and another PS2, and it was the same. The whole image is wavy on RGB, And the on screen menu is perfectly still. If the monitor would be damaged, shouldn't the whole screen be affected?

There is one more thing that I noticed today. When there is no signal on the RGB line, the monitor does a clicking sound every two seconds. It's the same click, like when the monitor is degaussing.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Namingway_PL wrote:I tried connecting a PS1 and another PS2, and it was the same. The whole image is wavy on RGB, And the on screen menu is perfectly still. If the monitor would be damaged, shouldn't the whole screen be affected?
It depends on where the fault lies - in your case there seems to be something wrong with the RGB channel only. If the OSD was also affected then the issue would have to be deeper than that.

That said, I'm afraid I'm not able to help you with this. The clicking sound is also not normal but I don't know if it's related to the main problem at hand. It's certainly not the degaussing circuit though, since that would impact all the channels and the OSD as well.
Tapeworm

Post by Tapeworm »

How does hour usage tracking work on the DT-V units? Mine reads 130 (so 13,000 hours since the metric is 100x). To me, that seems like a fairly "low" count considering most BVMs I've seen have 50,000+ hours. But my question is, does the hour tracking start counting even in stand-by: power flipped on in back, but yellow light up front?
werk91

Post by werk91 »

My DT-V has the same slight wobble on PS2 240p titles. Its not the monitor's fault though, Sega Genesis and SNES for example are rock solid. I don't notice it anymore though, just sit back and enjoy the game :P

I remember reading in the manual that it only increments the counter when its operational so green light.
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

I conected the PS2 to a extron 160xi with the DDSP on, and I did manage to get a stable image on the DT-V, but there is a slight upper skew. I didn't test any other consoles yet, but I'm pretty sure that it must be something wrong with the sync signal on the RGB line.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

The upper skew when using Extron RGB interface is something I've noticed too. I believe it stems from a very complicated issue that is a whole other can of worms, PC Engine and Neo Geo AES consoles have that same upper skew even when connected directly.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Just bought an input card from ebay for $70 shipped. I'll finally get to play on the jvc monitor I had sitting for almost 3 years now!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173022126943
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

The DT-V is the pickiest monitor I've ever used. Neo MVS - skew at top. PCE - Skewed. NES - Jitter at top of screen (more of an issue with the NES PPU that doesn't usually manifest on other crts) I fixed the PCE skew by using an extron rgb. Haven't figured out how to fix the MVS skew yet.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Dunno about the MVS, but the PCE has a wonky sync signal too. The DT-V series was introduced in a post-VHS era when LCDs were starting to gain traction, so it could be argued that being revealing of signal irregularities is a feature not a flaw. Granted, this won't be making the issue any less annoying :)

And congrats tacoguy - you're in for a treat :wink:
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

I did menage to fix the problem with the playstation 1 RGB signal that I've had in my DT-V1710CG. I've connected the ps1 to a extron crosspoint through RGBHV and then to the monitor.

When everything is connected through RGBHV, 240p looks great, but the interlaced signal looks like the fake 240p with a lot of flickr at still images like the game mode select screen in tekken 3 or Gran Turismo. When there is motion, the image looks very much like 240p (tekken 3 intro or gameplay). When I disconnect the V plug from the monitor, everything comes back to normal, but then 240p is wonky again...

I tried the same setup, but with the PS2. Interlaced signal looks normal through RGBHV. I realy don't know what's going on.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

cyborc wrote:The DT-V is the pickiest monitor I've ever used. Neo MVS - skew at top. PCE - Skewed. NES - Jitter at top of screen (more of an issue with the NES PPU that doesn't usually manifest on other crts) I fixed the PCE skew by using an extron rgb. Haven't figured out how to fix the MVS skew yet.
Isn't that the same issue also with the Sony BVM-D/A and Ikegami HTM?
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

It does sound like it's the same thing. I know cuz I had the same thing happen with my neo geo aes on my BVM-D series monitor. Though I haven't tried playing MVS games on it.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Namingway_PL wrote:I did menage to fix the problem with the playstation 1 RGB signal that I've had in my DT-V1710CG. I've connected the ps1 to a extron crosspoint through RGBHV and then to the monitor.

When everything is connected through RGBHV, 240p looks great, but the interlaced signal looks like the fake 240p with a lot of flickr at still images like the game mode select screen in tekken 3 or Gran Turismo. When there is motion, the image looks very much like 240p (tekken 3 intro or gameplay). When I disconnect the V plug from the monitor, everything comes back to normal, but then 240p is wonky again...

I tried the same setup, but with the PS2. Interlaced signal looks normal through RGBHV. I realy don't know what's going on.
I don't understand whether you actually got that fixed or not. To tell the truth, I'm not sure I really understand the issue you're facing. 480i on the DT-V17 is flickery by default, pro-monitors have a small beam size/thin scanlines making interlace quite apparent. Anyway, the PS1/PS2 do not output RGBHV natively - if you got a cable with a built-in sync stripper, it's probably outputting c-sync, which does not make use of the V.sync wire. Plugging it or not shouldn't make a difference.
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

I have a custom made SCART->VGA cable with a sync separator, connected to a VGA->5x BNC cable, and to the extron crosspoint with all five BNC's.

V sync pluged to the monitor - 240p looks good, but interlaced signals look like "fake 240p"

V sync unpluged - 240p is wonky, but interlaced signals look good.

I know that pluging or unpluging the V sync should not change anything, but somehow it does. I think that the extron is couseing this wierd behavior. So it works with games that have a fixed resolution, but games with a mixed resolution are pretty much unplayable. I need to find a better solution.
creib

Post by creib »

scored a DT-V19 with analog card. very happy with it so far

anyone have a spare input blank cover theyd want to sell? the cardbord one is creative but not ideal :mrgreen:
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Congrats on the find creib, very low hour count too! The group of JVC monitor users is ever growing :D
tacoguy64 wrote:Just bought an input card from ebay for $70 shipped. I'll finally get to play on the jvc monitor I had sitting for almost 3 years now!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173022126943
This is very interesting actually, from the photo on the listing its clear that this isn't the original card made by JVC. If its a fan made one then how does it work? The person that sold you it should make / acquire more and fill up ebay with them + international shipping too! Gotta fight back at all the IF-C01COMG scalpers!!! :twisted:
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Just wondering are these screens completely flat or are they a little curved on the sides?

Also these are shadow masks, right?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

No, they are AG (the TM-H are shadow masks). And yes, these are perfectly flat on both axes - in fact, I think they are the only 4:3 pro monitors to be truly flat (along with the rebadged Panasonics and Ikegamis of course). The coating on the DT-V's is also rather dark vs. the dull grey of PVM/BVM's, which makes for deeper blacks on normal viewing conditions.

@werk91: I'd say it was made by following Ryoandr's guide? It looks really good, the seller must have the PCB printed by OSHPark or a similar service. Judging by how quickly he sold out, he likely has another batch on the way :)
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

Lawfer wrote:Just wondering are these screens completely flat or are they a little curved on the sides?

Also these are shadow masks, right?
They are completely flat with a aperture grill screen, but not a Trinitron :)

Finaly I've solved My issue with RGB on the DT-V1710CG. I've bought a good RGB C-sync cable, and everything looks good. But I've noticed that the monitor have to warm up a bit. When I turn it on there is still a little bit of movement, but afer about a half an hour, the image is perfect :)
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Xer Xian wrote:No, they are AG (the TM-H are shadow masks). And yes, these are perfectly flat on both axes - in fact, I think they are the only 4:3 pro monitors to be truly flat (along with the rebadged Panasonics and Ikegamis of course).
The Ikegamis are Shadow Masks though, no? Is AG better than Shadow Masks?

Namingway_PL wrote:They are completely flat with a aperture grill screen, but not a Trinitron :)
Huh?
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Hitting a bit of a snag with my JVC DTV. I think I'm having sync issues. Both my N64 and SNES load up with a black screen and randomly flashes an image of game after a few seconds. From the sounds of it I might need a different SCART to BNC cable than the one I was using with my BVM. I'm is the cable I got from wookieewin from ebay. Though I'm also having trouble trying to access the menu. So far I can only read where my card is plugged into.
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

Lawfer wrote:
Xer Xian wrote:No, they are AG (the TM-H are shadow masks). And yes, these are perfectly flat on both axes - in fact, I think they are the only 4:3 pro monitors to be truly flat (along with the rebadged Panasonics and Ikegamis of course).

Namingway_PL wrote:They are completely flat with a aperture grill screen, but not a Trinitron :)
Huh?
Sony had a patent for the Aperture Grill technology, so it's not very common to find a aperture grill display that's not a Sony Trinitron.

Both Panasonic and Ikegami have a line of monitors that are identical to the JVC DT-V series but they are rebranded.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Namingway_PL wrote:
Lawfer wrote:

Huh?
Sony had a patent for the Aperture Grill technology, so it's not very common to find a aperture grill display that's not a Sony Trinitron.

Both Panasonic and Ikegami have a line of monitors that are identical to the JVC DT-V series but they are rebranded.
Oh interesting, but I noticed the screen was very dark unlike Sony's own monitors, how come?
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

I'm not realy sure, but those JVC monitors have very high contrast, superior to sony monitors. They are perfect for horror games :)
werk91

Post by werk91 »

tacoguy64 wrote:Hitting a bit of a snag with my JVC DTV. I think I'm having sync issues. Both my N64 and SNES load up with a black screen and randomly flashes an image of game after a few seconds. From the sounds of it I might need a different SCART to BNC cable than the one I was using with my BVM. I'm is the cable I got from wookieewin from ebay. Though I'm also having trouble trying to access the menu. So far I can only read where my card is plugged into.
If you press Menu followed by Down key, you will access the full menu (if doesn't work try Down followed by Menu (i'm away from my monitor to confirm)) :)
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

werk91 wrote:
tacoguy64 wrote:Hitting a bit of a snag with my JVC DTV. I think I'm having sync issues. Both my N64 and SNES load up with a black screen and randomly flashes an image of game after a few seconds. From the sounds of it I might need a different SCART to BNC cable than the one I was using with my BVM. I'm is the cable I got from wookieewin from ebay. Though I'm also having trouble trying to access the menu. So far I can only read where my card is plugged into.
If you press Menu followed by Down key, you will access the full menu (if doesn't work try Down followed by Menu (i'm away from my monitor to confirm)) :)
To access the menu You have press down + left.

To access the service menu You have to press Menu + down then a "!" will appear. Now You have to press down + left and "please don't touch" will appear then, press right, or any other button.
Last edited by Namingway_PL on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lewolfeur

Post by lewolfeur »

Lawfer wrote:
Oh interesting, but I noticed the screen was very dark unlike Sony's own monitors, how come?
See the difference of the anti-glare coating : https://imgur.com/a/wUxcY
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

lewolfeur wrote:
Lawfer wrote:
See the difference of the anti-glare coating : https://imgur.com/a/wUxcY
So which has the anti-glare coating? The BVM or the DT-V?
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

Both. But even without the coating, JVC monitors have a much darker screen.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Namingway_PL wrote:Both. But even without the coating, JVC monitors have a much darker screen.
Any reasons for that?