JVC TM-H and DT-V thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
1040STF

Re: JVC TM-H and DT-V thread

Post by 1040STF »

Namingway_PL wrote:@1040STF Did You try to reset everything? I don't remember the exact procedure and I don't want to mess something up like with those pots as I'm writing from memory,so You better check the manual before You do that. Not sure if You will have to reset each setting one by one or is there a general reset function like the "factory reset" in Sony monitors, but there is definitely a way to do that. Just be sure to set the knobs to neutral position before You reset anything.

Worth a try.
I've started all my settings from a reset ! :-)

fernan1234 wrote:I'd suggest not messing with the SCREEN pot on the flyback, that's really only meant for factory calibration or very minor adjustments to adapt to tube aging, within a small margin.
Dully noted.
fernan1234 wrote: @1040STF Does your DT-V still have the anti-glare filter on the tube?
Yep, it does. In fact it's a new one that I chose specifically to match the original one in its density.
fernan1234 wrote: It does a fantastic job at keeping blacks black and almost eliminating all reflections in a bright room, and it's neutral density so color accuracy is preserved, but at a small tradeoff with slightly less "pop" than CRTs with absolutely no filters, like almost all BVMs and many PVMs for example. That may be the difference you're noticing, and IMO it's a very worthy tradeoff.
That's exactly what I experience and yeah I do agree, it's worth the tradeoff.
fernan1234 wrote: Slightly increasing contrast and brightness may be fine, though as you can see it's not good to take it too far. The tube is already being overdriven in a way at stock values since it has to compensate for the anti-glare filter which is 1 stop (50% brightness cut). The overall difference should be slight, if not hard to notice, unless the tube has seen a lot of work.
Well, I really have to put all the contrast settings to the max to get back a nice and most of all balanced picture. The front toggle, the main setting, the service menu common setting and the service menu setting for the resolution. That's.. a lot. I know. But I have a very good eye for that (it's part of my job) so that's very important to me to find back that balance.
fernan1234 wrote: How many hours on your unit?
I have two units. One is 155.000 hours and the other is only 12.000 hours.
But they behave almost exactly the same and need almost the same settings.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

1040STF wrote:I have two units. One is 155.000 hours and the other is only 12.000 hours.
But they behave almost exactly the same and need almost the same settings.
Wow, 155k? I thought the counter capped at 60something thousand but I guess I was wrong. It could be that the unit with the larger hour count had a tube swap done. 12k is not bad at all, especially if usage conditions were not harsh. Overdriving tubes does reduce their lifespan, but the particular Panasonic tubes used on DT-Vs do seem to be very resilient.
1040STF wrote:Yep, it does. In fact it's a new one that I chose specifically to match the original one in its density.
I'd be really interested to see how your replacement film looks like. Do you have any photos you could share? I've been looking for a film that has the same properties as the original, not only the density to preserve good blacks with accurate colors, but also the anti-reflection properties that don't affect image sharpness. So far I've only been able to find films that do the first but not the second (they tend to be reflective).
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

@1040STF also interested in that anti glare film. Please give us some details!
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Me too
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
dr_myslihiiri

Post by dr_myslihiiri »

Hello JVC aficionados!

I recently bought a JVC TM-H1950CG, and I've begun experiencing an issue with it: A black, rippling pattern appears (and then disappears) on the left-hand side of the screen in a seemingly random way (see the video linked below).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dox72g97ilei ... 4.mp4?dl=0

I'm seeing the same issue over S-Video (using a PAL C64 Reloaded MK2) and composite (PAL NES and NTSC Neo Geo AES). I don't (yet) have a RGB input card to test with, so I can't say whether RGB is affected as well. What's especially strange is that the problem goes away if underscan is turned on.

Has anyone experienced this with their monitor? Is this an indication of caps going bad or something else? And if bad caps are to blame, which board (and which caps) should I inspect? All the service manuals I've found online haven't included any schematics.

Thanks!
ViraLicious

Post by ViraLicious »

Hi all!

I'm looking for a service manual for my DT-V1710CG that lists the various components (mainly interested in capacitors) as I will do a recap on my monitor. However, I can't seem to find one anywhere. None of the manuals I've found has such a list. Can anyone here direct me to one perhaps?
Star1

Post by Star1 »

I have one for the 1700, which should be all but identical. Send me a PM with your e-mail address if you are interested.
ViraLicious

Post by ViraLicious »

Thought I’d just give a little update on my progress, as I’ve just finished recapping the sub deflection and s-correction boards on my JVC DT-V1710CG in the hope it would fix the warping/stretching on the left side of the screen. But alas, it didn’t. I am now considering to do a recap of the signal board as well. However, I am starting to doubt it will help either. I find it curious that so many seem to have this issue. I’ve tested in total 4-5 (and seen many more online) 1710’s myself (of varying hours) that all have been plagued with the same issue, and am therefore starting to suspect it’s either a design flaw or hardware calibration issue.

If anyone has any thoughts to share on this, I’d be happy to hear them!
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

@ViraLicious Ah! I know what You are talking about. I had many DT-V1710CG's and a lot of them struggle with this issue. But the thing is, as You suspected, this is how they came out of the factory...

The image gets stretched at the left and right edges of the screen due to the flat screen which is normal. But on many DT-V1710CG's the left side of the screen is stretching/warping more than the righ side. I've seen this a lot.

Unfortunately a recap won't help. I had a full recap done in one of my units, and it didn't affect the warping issue at all.

But that doesn't mean it's a lost cause. I would suggest that adjusting and reseating the yoke on the tube might help with this issue. But to be honest I never tried it, as I don't have much experience in doing such thing, and it was never that big of an issue on the units I owned so I didn't try it.

But if You do please share the resoults! :)
drojman

Post by drojman »

Hi folks,

Just wondering, I’ve tried searching, what is the compatibility between boards of a 1950CG and a 1700PN? I have a trashed 1950CG, including clone RGB board. I remember reading that the boards in some of the JVCS are functionally the same, wondering if anyone had any more concrete information?

Thanks
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Do you still have the bezel for 1950?
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Has anyone imported a Victor-branded DTV with the 100V label on the back to 220v lands? I asked about this a while ago to anyone with knowledge about the PSUs on these, just hoping there may now be someone around with experience on this point.

I'm having the chance to use one of said models and it would be nice to use it without a transformer and no risk to fry it.
Devo4969

Post by Devo4969 »

I just picked up a Victor branded TM-H150 with 100V on the label. I live in Canada with 120V. The guy I bought it from used it as-is in our outlets and said it was fine. I have ordered a down volt converter to be on the safe side. It’s hard to find any info on the Victor branded units. I would also like to know if anyone has any experience with them.
Buttnose

Post by Buttnose »

fernan1234 wrote:Has anyone imported a Victor-branded DTV with the 100V label on the back to 220v lands? I asked about this a while ago to anyone with knowledge about the PSUs on these, just hoping there may now be someone around with experience on this point.

I'm having the chance to use one of said models and it would be nice to use it without a transformer and no risk to fry it.
I've fried the fuse on a DT-V labelled for 120v only when trying to use it in the UK on 240v. Worked fine after replacing the fuse and using it with a transformer.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Buttnose wrote:I've fried the fuse on a DT-V labelled for 120v only when trying to use it in the UK on 240v. Worked fine after replacing the fuse and using it with a transformer.
Thanks for the input!

Was that one of those super rare DT-V2000? I remember hearing a sad story about one of those. If it's that model, it may or may not saying something about the later 1700/1710 and 1900/1910 models, as it was of pretty limited production and quite a different design overall.

The later models had a much bigger production and I still want to believe that Victor/JVC didn't bother to actually change the PSUs across different markets. IIRC, none of these had labels indicating 120V only. Western market models said both 120V~ and 230V~, while the Japan Victor ones say 100V, and some other regions (China/Australia?) say 220V only.
trev026

Post by trev026 »

I've had a jvc tm h1750cg for about a year now with . Amazing unit. Currently have the add on rgb scart clone card. For the last year this has been perfect.

With the help of this thread was was able to get near perfect geometry by adjusting the pot so thanks for that .

This week though I'm now having sync issues with all of my rgb scart consoles. None are syncing correctly. I've reflowed all the pins but still it's issue. Can't see any leaking capacitors or anything .

Anyone got a solution that might be able to help ? I've read through all the posts here, and learnt that these sync issues are no uncommon on these units?

My unit doesn't have an external sync option and svideo and composite on signal a and b are still working fine ( can't go back to non rgb though haha)

Is there a simple solution to sort the sync externally ?
dr_myslihiiri

Post by dr_myslihiiri »

Does anyone know whether the IF-C21SD1G SDI input card is compatible with the TM-H1750CG (or TM-H150CG/TM-H1950CG)?

The 15" TM-H150CG's user manual states that it's compatible with the IF-C21SDG (sans the final 1) card. From what I can gather, The D1G is meant for the DT-V series, but I was wondering whether it'd work with with the TM-H series as well?

Googling with the model numbers turns up a single classified ad which mentions the 19" model and the D1G input card, but that's pretty thin evidence to go on.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

dr_myslihiiri wrote:Does anyone know whether the IF-C21SD1G SDI input card is compatible with the TM-H1750CG (or TM-H150CG/TM-H1950CG)?

The 15" TM-H150CG's user manual states that it's compatible with the IF-C21SDG (sans the final 1) card. From what I can gather, The D1G is meant for the DT-V series, but I was wondering whether it'd work with with the TM-H series as well?

Googling with the model numbers turns up a single classified ad which mentions the 19" model and the D1G input card, but that's pretty thin evidence to go on.

Those SDI cards can be found for relatively cheap since almost no one needs them now, so might as well give it a try. Most likely it will work. Most of the time those minor additions to model numbers mean nothing in practice.
serbusfish

Post by serbusfish »

I just picked up a DT-V1710CG. So far i've tested my SNES, Mega Drive, and Xbox on it and all are working great. However I have a Raspberry Pi with an RGB-Pi SCART cable and I can't get it to work. The screen stays black and those three coloured lines that appear near the top flicker while the monitor clicks like it's trying to sync. The Pi is outputting generic 15khz 240p and works flawlessly on my TM-H150CG. Is this a known incompatibility with this monitor?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

serbusfish wrote:I just picked up a DT-V1710CG. So far i've tested my SNES, Mega Drive, and Xbox on it and all are working great. However I have a Raspberry Pi with an RGB-Pi SCART cable and I can't get it to work. The screen stays black and those three coloured lines that appear near the top flicker while the monitor clicks like it's trying to sync. The Pi is outputting generic 15khz 240p and works flawlessly on my TM-H150CG. Is this a known incompatibility with this monitor?
What kind of input card and cable do you have on the monitor end? Something funny about these monitors is that certain kinds of c sync require you to physically unplug anything connected to the V sync input on the card if you're using the RGBHV BNC type, for example. The original RGB/component cards have auto detection for c-sync and hv-sync. Not sure how the clone cards with different connector types like SCART and D-Sub may handle this.
serbusfish

Post by serbusfish »

fernan1234 wrote:
serbusfish wrote:I just picked up a DT-V1710CG. So far i've tested my SNES, Mega Drive, and Xbox on it and all are working great. However I have a Raspberry Pi with an RGB-Pi SCART cable and I can't get it to work. The screen stays black and those three coloured lines that appear near the top flicker while the monitor clicks like it's trying to sync. The Pi is outputting generic 15khz 240p and works flawlessly on my TM-H150CG. Is this a known incompatibility with this monitor?
What kind of input card and cable do you have on the monitor end? Something funny about these monitors is that certain kinds of c sync require you to physically unplug anything connected to the V sync input on the card if you're using the RGBHV BNC type, for example. The original RGB/component cards have auto detection for c-sync and hv-sync. Not sure how the clone cards with different connector types like SCART and D-Sub may handle this.
It's an aftermarket component input board and i'm using a passthrough SCART to BNC cable. I have another SCART to BNC cable with sync stripper and with this cable I get a picture but it jumps around.

I have another question about these monitors. How far should the red/green/blue line be above the image? Mine is off screen when a signal is being fed but on a totally black screen I can see a slight hazing effect at the top of the screen which I guess is being caused by these lines which you can see here:

dr_myslihiiri

Post by dr_myslihiiri »

dr_myslihiiri wrote:Does anyone know whether the IF-C21SD1G SDI input card is compatible with the TM-H1750CG (or TM-H150CG/TM-H1950CG)?

Well, I took a punt on a cheap IF-C21SD1G card, and I can report that it works fine with the TM-H1750CG.

The card doesn't support other resolutions than 480i/576i, but that's not a problem in my use case. The audio input also worked after I toggled a DIP switch on the card. I don't have the equipment to test whether embedded SDI audio also works, but I assume that it does.
atohmdiy

Post by atohmdiy »

I will get a TM-H1900G soon and will rgb mod it. I will re-use the back bnc, and by studying the schematic i think there is a simple way to make a cleaner mod.
At first i was thinking of the possibility to use the RGB input card you can buy on the net, to do this all the buffer part need to be populate again but i think there should be some difference in the microcontroller between the 1900g and 1950cg that will prevent it, surely related to switching as it surely won't be able to toggle the rgb card. And even so it will be a lot more expensive and random, so the simple RGB mod is just better.

Thing is, all the buffer pad are unpopulated, so it's much easier to use these pad with smd parts without the need to use an ugly breadboard will big through holes resistors and caps.
For this C531-2-3 need to be remove and for exemple for red channel use C613 pad to solder the 0.1uf cap, R628 for 51ohm and R632 for 24 ohm, and wire somewhere in the Q610 space, there seems to be holes in the board there so the wire could be put on the other side of the pcb for much shorter length.
In the BNC part, i want to just cut the signal pin, keep the ground, and wire the signal to the rgb.
With this the only wire in the backside of the pcb will be blanking.

I have some questions :
Is someone has the service manual ?
Also what is the footprint of the C613 and F628/632 ? I need to order the resistor, and i need to know the smd size to order the right ones.
I don't have the monitor yet that's why i am asking. Would be nice if i get everything when the monitor arrive to mod it quickly, especially as i haven't anything to test it in either composite or svideo.
Also i saw there is three cap next the rgb ic (C510-11-12). I assume they are not populated ?
dr_myslihiiri

Post by dr_myslihiiri »

dr_myslihiiri wrote:

Well, I took a punt on a cheap IF-C21SD1G card, and I can report that it works fine with the TM-H1750CG.
In hindsight, I should’ve checked what the always excellent CRT Database had to say. It explicitly mentions the IF-C21SD1G being compatible.
For the JVC CGU series, RGB, Component, and SDI input is achieved via an option card installed into the expansion slot located at the rear of the monitor.

RGB/Component Input Card Part #: IF-C01COMG
SDI Card Part #: IF-C21SD1G (supports audio) or IF-C01SDG (no audio)
serbusfish

Post by serbusfish »

Does anyone know if the red/green/blue lines on the DT-V1710CG can be disabled? I'm finding when they're off screen when the image is black they create a noticable blooming effect so it's basically not possible to get a completely black screen. No other CRT or PVM I own has had this problem. I have a BM-H1400PNKA and a TM-H150CG and even though these monitors have these lines they do not cause any issues when off screen.

In the service manual there is a section for 'Status Display' and it mentions 'Bar Type', does this have anything to do with it? For some reason my monitor is lacking all the options under Status Display:

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

serbusfish wrote:In the service manual there is a section for 'Status Display' and it mentions 'Bar Type', does this have anything to do with it? For some reason my monitor is lacking all the options under Status Display:
Wow, that's interesting! I never picked up on this when reviewing the service manual.

You probably need to have an active signal for the option to appear in the status display menu. I've seen 3 colors as well as a white bar (though I always thought it was gray, or that it was the 3 colors but more tightly together), and I'm guessing that one creates more of the halo/bloom at the top than the others. It may also be a property of the anti-glare film and how it diffuses light, unless it's also noticeable on tubes that have had the film removed.

I'll try to see if I can access it in the menu and see if I can change that bar setting.
serbusfish

Post by serbusfish »

fernan1234 wrote:
serbusfish wrote:In the service manual there is a section for 'Status Display' and it mentions 'Bar Type', does this have anything to do with it? For some reason my monitor is lacking all the options under Status Display:
Wow, that's interesting! I never picked up on this when reviewing the service manual.

You probably need to have an active signal for the option to appear in the status display menu. I've seen 3 colors as well as a white bar (though I always thought it was gray, or that it was the 3 colors but more tightly together), and I'm guessing that one creates more of the halo/bloom at the top than the others. It may also be a property of the anti-glare film and how it diffuses light, unless it's also noticeable on tubes that have had the film removed.

I'll try to see if I can access it in the menu and see if I can change that bar setting.
I just tested and the situation is the same even if a signal is connected (I tested a 480p source).

To me it does seem like it's simply a glow being caused as the lines are only just off screen. I can get a similar glow to happen if I move parts of the picture off screen with the H or V movement controls.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I'm thinking now that the bar type setting only shows up when there's an SDI input active. I've put away my SDI card as I never have a use for it, but it's probably for something SDI-specific, but if it does refer to that bar at the top it may affect all picture modes after you change it.

On my two monitors with RGB lines I don't really see the glow, but they could be higher in the vertical overscan area than yours. I'd try increasing the vertical size to see if that makes a difference.
GuardinojoeATL

Post by GuardinojoeATL »

Hi all,

I have a JVC DT-V1700CG, and I cannot get my RGB consoles to display. Unlike the 1710CG, the 1700 only has automatic sync detection, and there is no option to switch to internal sync in any of the 3 service menus.

Other than using an Extron device to change the signal to RGsB, has anyone found a solution for this? I am using one of the close cards, but my understanding is that clone vs. OEM RGB makes no difference in this scenario.

If anyone is interested in the DT-V1700CG I would potentially sell it as well. 10k hours and great geometry (I have the S-video input card which works flawlessly). I'm in Georgia, USA.

Thanks for any help -
Joe
serbusfish

Post by serbusfish »

fernan1234 wrote:I'm thinking now that the bar type setting only shows up when there's an SDI input active. I've put away my SDI card as I never have a use for it, but it's probably for something SDI-specific, but if it does refer to that bar at the top it may affect all picture modes after you change it.

On my two monitors with RGB lines I don't really see the glow, but they could be higher in the vertical overscan area than yours. I'd try increasing the vertical size to see if that makes a difference.
If I could obtain an SDI input card how would I go about getting a signal into it? I have no experience with SDI at all.