Everdrives could cause damages...?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xyga

Re: Everdrives could cause damages...?

Post by Xyga »

Maybe I've missed it but what about the X3 ?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Article doesn't mention it so someone will have to measure and confirm. Its not a pleasant bit of news and it has made me wonder whether to replace my flash carts with the more expensive and confirmed to be safe models but that will be very high expenses over long period :(
Larrs888

Post by Larrs888 »

Any idea if the Unholy Night SFC/SNES independent release uses properly level translators?
Last edited by Larrs888 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

no. it has not.
donluca

Post by donluca »

blizzz wrote:I don't feel sorry for krikzz, but it's come to a point where the Everdrive brand took quite some damage.
I think those who know what krikzz has been doing for years by now and, even more, those who own his products, will pay no heed.

The problem are those who've been living under a rock and didn't know that stuff like flashcarts existed and now are thinking they are just rubbish which will slowly wear down your console until it's completely dead.

Also, that article is pretty terrible and it looks like it still misses the point that an out-of-print game doesn't make any more money to the original author and distributor, it just makes second hand seller and speculators' pocket deeper.

I absolutely see the damage in downloading the ROM of a game which is still being sold either through Virtual Console and similar systems, but what's the harm in getting a game otherwise unobtainable?

Bah.
fafangus

Post by fafangus »

Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

So let me get this clear:

1. Have newer Everdrives sold in November 2017 have had these issues fixed or not?

2. Could these issues not only damage your consoles and carts but also your TV/Monitor?
FBX

Post by FBX »

Lawfer wrote: 2. Could these issues not only damage your consoles and carts but also your TV/Monitor?
No, it won't affect the TV/monitor.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

FBX wrote:
Lawfer wrote: 2. Could these issues not only damage your consoles and carts but also your TV/Monitor?
No, it won't affect the TV/monitor.
Thanks.
copy

Post by copy »

Lawfer wrote:1. Have newer Everdrives sold in November 2017 have had these issues fixed or not?
I'd also like to know that. Can anyone confirm any that have been fixed? The imminent Black Friday sale would be a good time to replace the bad ones I own.
jwo825

Post by jwo825 »

I believe the final consensus was the most current Everdrives could be improved, but wouldn’t pose any significant risk to your systems. Some of the Chinese 60-in-ones and such are more alarming.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

jwo825 wrote:I believe the final consensus was the most current Everdrives could be improved, but wouldn’t pose any significant risk to your systems.
From what I understand based on the interview RetroRGB video did with the author of the article, is that most flash carts would deplete your console lifespan, say a Megadrive should have a lifespan of 50 years if you only use it with official cartridges, but instead if you only use an EverDrive with it would diminish it to <50 years (the number is unknown, it could 49 years, or 25 years).

The SD2SNES is the only flash cart that is completely safe as much as an official cartridge is (it's not an EverDrive, though), other than that the Mega EverDrive X5, Turbo Everdrive v2 and Everdrive N8 are alright. However note that not all EverDrives were tested, for example no EverDrives for the Nintendo 64 were tested and the Mega EverDrive X3 wasn't either.
Last edited by Lawfer on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
copy

Post by copy »

Yes, and Krikzz was said to be updating his other designs, so it would be great to know which (if any) fixed versions are being sold yet.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

copy wrote:Yes, and Krikzz was said to be updating his other designs, so it would be great to know which (if any) fixed versions are being sold yet.
Unless there were some stealth revisions, the latest releases are still the same, see for example the Megadrive EverDrives:

Latest releases were X5 and X3 from September 2016.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Anyone know if the N8 Pro or the Mega EverDrive Pro have these issues?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

IIRC the N8 has been proven to not have issues. I'm not so sure about the MegaDrive one.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

N8 = Good
Mega Everdrive x5 = Good
Other Mega Everdrives = Bad

Source: http://web.archive.org/web/201911251700 ... -consoles/
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

OK, that sounds OK. I have an X7. I was wanting to get the Pro, though, due to the Mega CD support.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Ah damn I had assumed all of Krikkz flashcarts got a design update, and was about to order the X3 :(

It's not listed on René's page tho? unless it falls under vanilla Everdrive?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

Why are you using an article that was deleted, and that has some questionable points, like the 5.2mA number.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Ryoandr wrote:Why are you using an article that was deleted, and that has some questionable points, like the 5.2mA number.
Because this is a three year old thread. The post linking the article is from 2017.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Interestingly, none of the TerraOnion stuff was around when the article was written apparently? NeoSD, MegaSD, SSD3. Im assuming they are safe though, due to being the newest and seemingly better engineered than a lot of the earlier stuff.
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

DejahThoris wrote: Because this is a three year old thread. The post linking the article is from 2017.
an article that was contested by krikzz with questions never answered (the mA rating, use of altera chips in 3.3v-5v communication for decades...)
Which might be the reason article was deleted....
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

It's pretty well known that several everdrives that existed when this issue started getting a focus had a notable issue.
I'd expect all the ones manufactured subsequently have been properly handled because Krikzz didn't want any problems. That said, he's been consistently denying that it's an issue at all so I wouldn't straight up assume it.

I'm not knowledgeable in this field at all, but I've talked to tons of people who are, and I've never met anyone ready to even give Krikzz the benefit of the doubt on this.

The article wasn't "deleted". It's a blog post on a site that isn't online anymore. The domain just redirects to René's twitter now, so if you want to know if he's retracted his statements maybe just ask him directly instead of making up absurd theories.
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

Sumez wrote:It's pretty well known that several everdrives that existed when this issue started getting a focus had a notable issue.
I'd expect all the ones manufactured subsequently have been properly handled because Krikzz didn't want any problems. That said, he's been consistently denying that it's an issue at all so I wouldn't straight up assume it.

I'm not knowledgeable in this field at all, but I've talked to tons of people who are, and I've never met anyone ready to even give Krikzz the benefit of the doubt on this.

The article wasn't "deleted". It's a blog post on a site that isn't online anymore. The domain just redirects to René's twitter now, so if you want to know if he's retracted his statements maybe just ask him directly instead of making up absurd theories.
He doesn't have to respond to me.
If he ever did, it would be to krikzz questions which were never addressed.
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8075.0

Citing only one side is quite unfair.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

True enough. Like I said, I don't know enough about the subject to vouch for either side.

I guess the true answer to the question then is "do you trust Krikzz". Either way, it would probably be safest to go with the products that have been approved by both sides, right?
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

The guy from dbelectronics had written a great article linked above via webarchive, what ever happened to his site? Seems to be down now.