Sony trinitron service menu

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
R3trofest

Sony trinitron service menu

Post by R3trofest »

This is my first post and I'm sorry if this topic has been done before but I couldn't find anything on here.

I've recently picked up a Sony FD Trinitron KD-28 DX40U. I think it's from 2001. I've downloaded the service manual for it because it has some issue geometry and I want to adjust it. The problem is I can't get into the service menu. The manual say to press i+, 5, vol+, TV while in standby but nothing happens. Does it need to have a signal going to it or something like that? It's really starting to frustrate me as it really needs some adjustment. Can anyone help me please?
Milspex

Re: Sony trinitron service menu

Post by Milspex »

Put the tv in standby and try turning it on by holding down 2 buttons on the tv itself. Then go to settings > demonstration.

That's how mine works
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Service mode via both volume (/both program buttons) and turning on only works on older trinitrons afaik....

Likely just doing slightly wrong - entering the code fairly quickly? ... unless the instructions are mistaken/trolling you...
Do you have the original remote?

there will be a service menu ... it'll just be a case of making sure you find the right combo and have the right remote...

Most common trinitron service menu commands tend to be a variation of (looks like yours should be the first...) ... presume i+/Disp button you're using is the button under 7 according to manual? ... try subsituting for that digital display button at top of remote? :

[PWR OFF] - [DISP], [5], [VOL+], [PWR ON]

-or-
[PWR OFF] - [DISP], [5], [PWR ON]

-or-
[PWR OFF] - [DISP], [5], [VOL+], [PICTURE], [PWR ON]

Oh ... and I suspect you will also find once you get into the service menu, and have made your adjustments, you need to go back to the TT screen and press 00 to save the adjustments.

Best of luck!
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

i have the same trouble with my KV29F1U trinitron too.got the service manual so i am entering the right code..i think i'm inputting the code correctly cos i can get the tv to lock up with the standby light on and the only way to regain control is to power off.
i've tried to get this working so many times now i have given up.
a lot of people complain about this code not working so i'm wondering if it's a fault that develops that stops it working properly or something :x
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

just tried it again.locked up my tv :lol: shitty arse overrated heavy tvs anyways
wigsplitta

Post by wigsplitta »

I've was playing about with the service menu on my Sony Trinitron KV-32FX20U a couple of weeks ago.

This is the key combo that worked for me:

Put the TV in standby mode
i+
Volume +
[ ] "Blank square button"
TV should then click into life and present you with a TT disply and allow you to start tweaking.
To exit, press 00

I need to spend a bit more time, but the service menu really is a thousand times better than the standard menu :)

Before:

During:

After:
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

that worked .you are a bosss !1 x :)
wigsplitta

Post by wigsplitta »

Glad it worked for you 8)
Don't forgot to take loads of pics/notes of the original settings. I did it on another tv many years ago and it ended up looking worse. Took me bloody ages to get it looking good again :wink:
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

i'm not completely anal on geometry and it will never be perfect judging by the state of it :lol:
just wanted to get my mame horizontal setup filling the screen better...
it's better than it was but the horizontal settings are not eough to make it fill teh screen completely.still a hell of a lot better than it was ..thanks
will deffo keep me going till i can find another crt with better picture/geometry
R3trofest

Post by R3trofest »

wigsplitta wrote:I've was playing about with the service menu on my Sony Trinitron KV-32FX20U a couple of weeks ago.

i+
Volume +
TV should then click into life and present you with a TT disply and allow you to start tweaking.
To exit, press 00

I need to spend a bit more time, but the service menu really is a thousand times better than the standard menu :)

Before:

During:

After:
This worked for me so thanks very much. And to everyone who replied. Just have to work out what settings to change to get a decent image. Very happy bunny!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I have a Trinitron Wega KV-32LS60E 100hz, with the remote RM-932.

Does anyone know how to enter service mode? I've found this:

https://electronicshelponline.blogspot. ... 2ls60.html

but crucially at step three, the three leds don't lit up. :(

More importantly, does anyone know if I can force 50hz instead of 100hz through service mode (which is why I'm trying the whole thing?)
X - P - B
djdavedoc

Post by djdavedoc »

I have the same Sony Trinitron KD-28DX40U TV as the OP . My Geometry is royally screwed up! Can anyone help? Pics below.

https://ibb.co/cFbEaT
https://ibb.co/hP12Uo
https://ibb.co/jTFkh8
austin532

Post by austin532 »

wigsplitta wrote:I've was playing about with the service menu on my Sony Trinitron KV-32FX20U a couple of weeks ago.

i+
Volume +
To exit, press 00

Before:

During:

After:
I could almost live with that before image. Not that bad except for the top right corner.
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Man your before image looks about 20x better than my FV310 after several hours in the service menu... And convergence looks perfect too... If you had my TV you'd have probably tossed it out. Though you do have dynamic convergence settings for yours since it's HD.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
hidden0

Post by hidden0 »

I have sony wega Kv-XR34M81 not able to find a service menu with this combination , tv just turns on when i press 5 and goto channel 5.
Edit: was pressing the wrong display button
It worked
Steven

Post by Steven »

This is an interesting and timely thread.

I've been unable to get to the service menu on my KV-29DR1. I checked the manual and there's nothing about it in there. Here is the manual: https://www.sony.jp/ServiceArea/impdf/p ... 838221.pdf

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

This should be stickied for future new users imo.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I once went into text based service menu but couldn't know which options to modify.

which options are good for increasing sharpness and quality?