Raiden 2 New Version - Low Sound Quality

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
hd
Banned User

Raiden 2 New Version - Low Sound Quality

Post by hd »

Hi!

i recently picked up a Raiden 2 New Version (c) 1996 Seibu pcb. It has a very low sound quality. Is this normal ? Does anybody have a pcb with good quality ??? the audio sounds low pass filtered...! i am not very happy with this... maybe the audio amp is not working correctly anymore...
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I have one of these boards too, and what you hear is what you get. The "New" version was basically an el cheapo rerelease with inferior sound, missing title screen and mixed up level order. Fortunately I only paid $35 for mine so it's not too big a deal.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Moved to Hardware.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
dpful

Post by dpful »

My version of Raiden DX was the same. The sound was REALLY bad.
I also thought the video was a little poor, too. Very high contrast when the explosions would go off.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I have a regular Raiden DX board, and I could probably compare the two. I've only even had the "new" board in my cab for a few minutes anyway. The main reason I bought this one in the first place was because it came with a marquee.
SAM

Post by SAM »

What so you means for "low sound quality"? :? (SAM is puzzled)

Do you means the sound from this version of the PCB is of a lower quality then the previous release? Or it is worse then the console version?

I have been always thinking that the PS1 version (Raiden Project) actually using CD audio for BGM. And the BGM is regenerated instead of recording the output from a PCB.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Not only is the sound on this PCB of lower quality, but not all of the sound is even there. Similar to the Raiden Fighters 2 and Jet 2000 releases, the music has been reduced to a five second loop, and all the stages use the same BGM.
dpful

Post by dpful »

Yeah, it's shit.
I can see how it could be fine for the arcade, but certainly not for playing at home.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Vexorg wrote:Not only is the sound on this PCB of lower quality, but not all of the sound is even there. Similar to the Raiden Fighters 2 and Jet 2000 releases, the music has been reduced to a five second loop, and all the stages use the same BGM.
Wow :shock: :? :( :cry: :x :evil: That's horrible!!! :evil: :evil:

Why does the "New Version" got poorier quality? :? Is that really not a bootleg? :o

I really don't see not burning all the sound files on the ROMs could save much $$$. :?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
nZero

Post by nZero »

SAM wrote:I really don't see not burning all the sound files on the ROMs could save much $$$. :?
Because they can use a small cheap ADPCM sample player chip instead of dedicated sound generation hardware to save on PCB space and cost.