AtariBox - New Game Console from Atari?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RGBSource

AtariBox - New Game Console from Atari?

Post by RGBSource »

Image Image

https://www.ataribox.com/

A new Atari console (unconfirmed) appears to be on the horizon. Only a teaser trailer at this point and more details are expected to be unveiled at E3 2017. Should be "interesting".
bobrocks95

Re: AtariBox - New Game Console from Atari?

Post by bobrocks95 »

$20 it's just another AtGames SoC clone console, this time with a slightly more premium price tag.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

It better have wood paneling.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Would be pretty cool if Atari came back into the console market. It would sell so much on brand name alone, not including marketing and what the console is capable of.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Define "come back". The company called "Atari" today has no relation to the company that put out the 2600. It's somebody else who bought the name long after Atari the company died.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Guspaz wrote:Define "come back". The company called "Atari" today has no relation to the company that put out the 2600. It's somebody else who bought the name long after Atari the company died.
As in revived. Doesn't have to be the same people. Just the same IPs and rights being practiced again.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

GeneraLight wrote:
Guspaz wrote:Define "come back". The company called "Atari" today has no relation to the company that put out the 2600. It's somebody else who bought the name long after Atari the company died.
As in revived. Doesn't have to be the same people. Just the same IPs and rights being practiced again.
Well, they could do four players, four missles, and two balls this time. :)
bobrocks95 wrote:$20 it's just another AtGames SoC clone console, this time with a slightly more premium price tag.
I would like to see a proper collection with Party Mix and Fireball. They should also round up some homebrew like Man Goes Down. Probably won't happen, though..
We apologise for the inconvenience
viletim

Post by viletim »

GeneraLight wrote:
When you're talking about creative products like video games, I'd say the people and culture of a company matters quite a lot. Unless you just want more plug and play emulator consoles (which requires zero creativity).

The Atari brand has been owned by so many different groups/companies now that it's actually required to specify which one is being referred to. The Ataribox logo has wood on it, so we know this is ball-and-paddle Atari. Otherwise one could legitimately expect this to be the console for the next Alone in the Dark game.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Not entirely true.

Bushnell is still head of board of directors. He just hasn't had a good idea since the 70's.

there could be a comeback but not likely
Copyright 1987
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Reeks of high-grade Formica and plastic palm trees.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
dreadnought

Post by dreadnought »

I can't think of any other old school brand which would be a subject to so many godawful/clueless corporate takeovers and wranglings. This poor old corpse really should be laid to rest instead of being reanimated for yet another nostalgia cash-in attempt.

Unless it`s something as awesome as ZX Spectrum Next of course - a proper hardware that doesn`t emulate anything and has a dedicated CRT output. Ok, I might be a bit biased, even after 3 decades - I was in the Sinclair camp back in the micor-wars era, but still :)
Barba

Post by Barba »

I'd be happy about a Jaguar 4K/Next, if it was SLIGHTLY easier to program than the old one :lol:

Only problem is the world does not need it.
dreadnought

Post by dreadnought »

bobrocks95 wrote:$20 it's just another AtGames SoC clone console, this time with a slightly more premium price tag.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega- ... 0-6450723/

Though I`m not sure if that's the same thing as the, ahem, Ataribox. They`re like buses, eh...
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

dreadnought wrote:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega- ... 0-6450723/

Though I`m not sure if that's the same thing as the, ahem, Ataribox. They`re like buses, eh...
Never forget
https://youtu.be/-gYLL9GlsSI
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
antron

Post by antron »

The flashback 2 was markedly better than the others. It actually allows you to solder in a cartridge port and enable switch. Most games run. It's a SoC, yes, but a fairly accurate recreation of THE system.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Amazing! Not soc!

Linux on an AMD processor!

Classic Atari games!

Maybe some newer lower-end PC-based games!

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS!

ARE YOU EXCITED?!?!?!
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

In the Genesis thread, we kind of went on a little tangent of how the Western market largely surrendered the console and arcade markets to Japan thanks a lot due to Atari. If they wouldn't invest in their games, why would we.

The Ouya is still bringing us joy this late in the game. I dunno if ATARIBOX! can match up to that.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Love me a product that has no purpose and no market. There is no stopping these failed-brands-necromancers.

This Register article is gold :
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/2 ... empty_box/

Seriously, the hotel room setup and the executive not knowing shit about his system(which didn't work btw), was comic genius that the best of comedy screen writers can only dream of coming up with. A surrealist masterpiece for the ages

"Launch date? Can't say. Interface? Can't tell you. Hardware manufacturer? Can't tell you. Games developer partners? We're talking to people. Target market? We can't say." jesus fucking christ...

Suite 7088. some strange and ridiculous stuff happens in there...
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Guys, I am beginning to suspect this might be one of those kickblaster scams.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Stuff it in a woodgrain coffin already.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Better yet, stuff the whole executive team of this "Atari" in a coffin. Dead, alive, don't care. Above this whole Box fiasco, what they've done with Tempest 4000 (TxK) is so damn reprehensible.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Don't know if it deserves it's own thread, but they've announced a new console called the Atari 2600+. It's using a Rockchip 3128 SOC microprocessor, and it plays Atari 2600 and 7800 titles. They are also making new 2600 joysticks and circle paddles, and re-releasing some old games. Atari might be a zombie company these days, but the 2600 was my first console, and this is hitting my nostalgia vibes hard.

https://atari.com/products/atari-2600-plus
orange808

Post by orange808 »

If you only want to play old games and you have low expectations, it might be okay. Let's wait and see.

Here's the problem. The VCS (2600) has no frame buffer at all and no stable defined video output signal. How will Atari handle the ADC process? The video signal is unpredictable. It's possible to make something good, but will they do it? I doubt it.

Will they do something lazy? Probably. Will there be lag or frame rate conversion? Probably. I'm expecting tearing and frame rate conversion.

There's also the issue of new software. New software development actually requires code to support multiple versions of TIA, because new kernels push the timings to the edge--beyond minor differences between TIA chips. Devs make new kernels with code to detect your TIA and adjust to get the timings just right. Will the new machine support new kernels? Probably not. You will also want support for illegal opcodes. Bus stuffing is also on the immediate horizon.

Will it even support cycle 73/74 HMOVE? That's not a new development or exclusive to new software. The 2600 Jr has an odd TIA that doesn't handle those calls and it breaks compatibility with some original software. Will this have a good TIA that can run all the original software? Getting your TIA implementation to run Combat and calling it day isn't good enough.

Given that Atari was selling a pump and dump crypto, I don't have much faith.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

orange808 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:57 pmTons of good information and things I need to investigate
They've released a (still WIP) compatability list. They've thrown a ton of first and third party games at it, and I only see 3 carts that it won't play- Realsports Boxing, Super Cobra, and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. But like you said, how well do the working games play? I went ahead and pre-ordered one, so I guess I'll find out first hand how well all this works. Haven't touched a real Atari 2600 in 30 years or so, so I'm probably the target market :lol:
Atariboy

Post by Atariboy »

orange808 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:57 pm If you only want to play old games and you have low expectations, it might be okay. Let's wait and see.

Here's the problem. The VCS (2600) has no frame buffer at all and no stable defined video output signal. How will Atari handle the ADC process? The video signal is unpredictable. It's possible to make something good, but will they do it? I doubt it.

Will they do something lazy? Probably. Will there be lag or frame rate conversion? Probably. I'm expecting tearing and frame rate conversion.

There's also the issue of new software. New software development actually requires code to support multiple versions of TIA, because new kernels push the timings to the edge--beyond minor differences between TIA chips. Devs make new kernels with code to detect your TIA and adjust to get the timings just right. Will the new machine support new kernels? Probably not. You will also want support for illegal opcodes. Bus stuffing is also on the immediate horizon.

Will it even support cycle 73/74 HMOVE? That's not a new development or exclusive to new software. The 2600 Jr has an odd TIA that doesn't handle those calls and it breaks compatibility with some original software. Will this have a good TIA that can run all the original software? Getting your TIA implementation to run Combat and calling it day isn't good enough.

It's the latest build of Stella that they're using, so none of this applies in this case.

What does is the quality of the cart dumper. Hopefully it's much better than what the Retron 77 used.
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

Looking forward to it! I've long given up on an HDMI mod for the original 2600 consoles, and I didn't want to component mod my originals. The smaller footprint might mean it'll now fit in a Kallax. I really just needed Breakout, Super Breakout, and Kaboom to be working, and they do according to the list. It doesn't have the bells and whistles the NES Classic Edition did, but I'm hoping that translates to minimal lag. Only downside is it doesn't seem to include a pause feature.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Atariboy wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:56 am
orange808 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:57 pm If you only want to play old games and you have low expectations, it might be okay. Let's wait and see.

It's the latest build of Stella that they're using, so none of this applies in this case.

What does is the quality of the cart dumper. Hopefully it's much better than what the Retron 77 used.
Stella has lag.

262 scan line VCS kernels don't refresh at 60Hz. I can physically write you one if you need an example.

All readers seeking accurate information should ignore your comment. This isn't AtariAge, by the way. Nobody is going to defend you while you spread misinformation. This is a hardware forum.

Over at AtariAge, just getting something on screen is supposedly a good solution. "I didn't notice any lag" is a scientific statement there. That kind of stuff won't fly here. "I didn't notice any tearing" or "it's not a big deal" are regular AtariAge comments. Here, that shit matters. Hardware misinformation runs absolutely unchecked over there.

So, it's some kind of ARM emu that dumps carts? We'll see what we get when it forces everything to 60Hz. Over at AtariAge, that's no big deal. Here, a trade off between games running at the wrong speed or tearing is considered substandard.

And, it definitely "applies". And, there's no little emperor moderator coming to stop me from saying so. :-)

No telling how much more latency the controllers will add, either. Are they native USB or is there a convoluted hardware solution to read native nine pin controllers and feed the machine inputs on the USB bus? Pardon me for doubting Atari will pay attention to details and get it right.
Atariboy

Post by Atariboy »

You're absolutely clueless.

Of course Stella has lag. It's an emulator. But it's kept to a minimum. The only noticeable lag happening is up above where you're clearly lacking.

I never said that 2600 games always had a perfect 60Hz refresh rate, an identical line count, etc. But anyone with a clue that has used Stella knows that it's perfectly adequate at handling all the oddball situations that it will encounter such as with Battlezone, Tapper, etc.

Furthermore, if you weren't so absolutely clueless and actually visited AtariAge, you'd see that this is getting raked over the coals right now, including by the Stella team. But instead of invalid criticisms over non-issues like you're doing, the criticism appearing over there actually is about valid issues.

All readers seeking accurate information should ignore your utterly useless post, done in your typical style. And for those that don't visit AtariAge that read your nonsense, I assure them that this tool that got himself banned over there really had to work hard to accomplish that goal. The leash is a long one over there and only the truly deserving see the banhammer like this clearly disturbed individual managed to do.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I'm not worried about it. I voiced my concerns outside that orbit for a reason. Low expectations are the norm over there. I have higher expectations for a replacement console. Once again, you're on the hardware forum here and this isn't AtariAge.

And, no thanks. I prefer to speak freely. I'm good where I am.

If Analogue had forced their replacement consoles to exclusive flat 60Hz refresh, nobody here would shrug at it. That would be a problem. Sorry about the culture shock.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

On a related 2600 hardware note, are there any 2600 game compatibility issues with the Sears Video Arcade II console (aka the Atari 2800 sold in Japan back in 1983-1984)? And does the Atari Uno flash cart work with it as well?

At the the World of Atari '98 Expo held in Las Vegas back in August of 1998, there was a super mint condition Atari 2800 console + super mint factory box on display inside the retro video game museum room -- it wasn't listed for sale, of course. There were plans to have a WoA '99 event but it was canceled and reorganized as the first Classic Gaming Expo '99 instead.

It's well known that Sears Roebuck Co. wanted to sell an exclusive 2600 variant console that Atari wasn't sure if the general public was going to buy had they released it for sale themselves (with the appearance of an Atari 7800 ProSystem outer console shell for a very different overall look) in time for the 1983 Christmas shopping season (as listed in their 1983 Sears Christmas Toy Catalog). I recall seeing a demo kiosk of a Sears Video Arcade II console with a pair of slick hybrid joystick/paddle controllers to try out at the local mall back in 1984. Impressive engineering & ingenious mechanism to get the 2-in-1 joystick/paddle hybrid controllers working when they were new back in the day (considering that Atari handled the manufacturing & distribution of the Sears Video Arcade II console + hybrid controllers themselves with Sears selling them in their "brick 'n' mortar" store locations & through mail order also).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~