A review of the Sony BVM-D32E1WE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SNK-NEO-GEO

Re: A review of the Sony BVM-D32E1WE

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

I just measured it, I seat 3.5 feet away from the BVM32 which is the right viewing angle for my eyes,, the actual size of the screen is a bit less than 30 inches. When I had that TV, I would say that I would seat about 4.5 feet which the actual screen was about 32 inches.
The Future Is Now
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Sounds about right to me.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:KV-34XBR910 is better than the BVM32 because you can find it for free on Craigslist and if you are seating seven feet away from the TV, the picture is comparable to the BVM. If your face is right in front of the TV, that is a different story.
The XBR can't use light guns, doesn't give you native scanlines on 240p content, and has lag (which I personally don't mind but it bugs many people). The free is a nice thing however (but people still get BVM-D32's, and other BVM's and PVM's for cheap too).
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

Awesome review, I love the fact it's full of little troubleshooting tips.
Roboplodicus

Post by Roboplodicus »

Dochartaigh wrote:
SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:KV-34XBR910 is better than the BVM32 because you can find it for free on Craigslist and if you are seating seven feet away from the TV, the picture is comparable to the BVM. If your face is right in front of the TV, that is a different story.
The XBR can't use light guns, doesn't give you native scanlines on 240p content, and has lag (which I personally don't mind but it bugs many people). The free is a nice thing however (but people still get BVM-D32's, and other BVM's and PVM's for cheap too).
You kind of have to hit the lottery to get a really high end BVM for free now a days, though it is still possible, Also atleast for 1080i content all you need to do is make a couple service menu tweaks and its gets rid of 98% of the lag, I actually did lag testing and got the DVI-D port lag down to 1 MS and totally bypassed all processing for 1080i component signals for lag equal to my pvm that I tested., I haven't tested it with a light gun though, but ya that's a cool feature of a screen like a d32. And ya if you are sitting far away its common sense that the two screens will perform about the same. Also the XBR still looks good in a bright room, if you have a room you can make dark whenver you want but I have mine in the garage and during the day my dad is always going in and out of the garage so it wins out for practicality for me but I'm definitely not saying I wouldn't jump on a well priced large BVM if one serendipitously appeared before me. And ya without some kind of a scaler 240p content will look reaaaaaal bad I use a standard def tv for my standard def consoles.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

The Sony KD-34XBR960 is unmatched when it comes to watching HD TV Channels. HD TV Channels broadcast in either 720p or 1080i, and the latter works perfectly on the 960 since it outputs native 1080i. You can disable all digital processing through 1080i in the service menu too. No digital processing, upscaling or de-interlacing. Just the signal being displayed natively on a high-end CRT. You can use YPbPr Component or digital HDMI for the HD Cable Box too.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

The XBR960 might be okay for hi-res content but for 240p it is nowhere near on the same stage as a d-series bvm.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

What about 480p? I'm guessing the D32 would be a lot better?
Last edited by andykara2003 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

andykara2003 wrote:What about 480p?
480p is stretched to 540p on HD CRTs. A BVM is leagues better, along with PC CRTs.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Nice one.
Roboplodicus

Post by Roboplodicus »

GeneraLight wrote:The Sony KD-34XBR960 is unmatched when it comes to watching HD TV Channels. HD TV Channels broadcast in either 720p or 1080i, and the latter works perfectly on the 960 since it outputs native 1080i. You can disable all digital processing through 1080i in the service menu too. No digital processing, upscaling or de-interlacing. Just the signal being displayed natively on a high-end CRT. You can use YPbPr Component or digital HDMI for the HD Cable Box too.
I actually did a lag test on my XBR910 which has the same tube as the 960 after I turned off the post processing and it eliminated lag through Coponent and reduced to 1ms through the DVI-D port, I was pretty hyped because I tested about 2 frames the input delay on each of those before that. And yeah for 720p and 1080i content the screen is fantastic and IMO its actually not bad for 480p content either even though it does scale it up to 540p, I actually use it for 480p content over the 14" multiformat BVM. Maybe If I had a larger multi-format BVM I'd use it for 480p but at 14" Id rather just take the extra screen space on the 910.

And ya given the XBR 910 and 960 interpret 240p content as 480i one definitely wouldn't want to be using one of them for 240p content. That's kind of common sense.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Wowww..You are comparing a free item/TV with something that cost thousands of dollars. The free is not just "nice" it is the best deal on the planet, doesn't cost a penny:) I give you the light gun part but nothing else. You can use a digital lightgun...The BVM32 suck for 240p content....720p is where the BVM excel. Who is getting BVM32 for cheap and where? I know a few people looking that I can send your way:)
The Future Is Now
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:
Wowww..You are comparing a free item/TV with something that cost thousands of dollars. The free is not just "nice" it is the best deal on the planet, doesn't cost a penny:) I give you the light gun part but nothing else. You can use a digital lightgun...The BVM32 suck for 240p content....720p is where the BVM excel. Who is getting BVM32 for cheap and where? I know a few people looking that I can send your way:)
"The BVM suck for 240p content" :D
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:The BVM32 suck for 240p content
This couldn't be any further from the truth.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote: Wowww..You are comparing a free item/TV with something that cost thousands of dollars. The free is not just "nice" it is the best deal on the planet, doesn't cost a penny:) I give you the light gun part but nothing else. You can use a digital lightgun...The BVM32 suck for 240p content....720p is where the BVM excel. Who is getting BVM32 for cheap and where? I know a few people looking that I can send your way:)
I never said "free" (although people do find BVM's for free), I said people still find these for "cheap". My buddy picked up a D32 for $500 last year for example - for the craziness that the smaller D24's go for regularly, I would consider that cheap as hell.

For myself personally, especially in the mid-atlantic area (where both you and I live), I've had zero problem finding over a hundred PVM/BVM type monitors in the last 15 months since I've been into these. Everything from PVM-1340's, to L5's and MultiFormat BVM's (even a monster PVM-3230). Half were free, or if I averaged everything out they were $49/each (not counting toll and gas money - longest drive was ~1.5 hours each way). I think $49 would fall into anybodies definition of "cheap"...

Anyway, there's no commercially currently-available 'digital lightgun' to run on native consoles like NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, Saturn, etc, so they work on your LCD/LED/Plasma/OLED flatscreen FYI.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Dochartaigh wrote:For myself personally, especially in the mid-atlantic area (where both you and I live), I've had zero problem finding over a hundred PVM/BVM type monitors in the last 15 months since I've been into these. Everything from PVM-1340's, to L5's and MultiFormat BVM's (even a monster PVM-3230). Half were free, or if I averaged everything out they were $49/each (not counting toll and gas money - longest drive was ~1.5 hours each way). I think $49 would fall into anybodies definition of "cheap"...
Wow... wish it were like that here. I'm pretty jealous
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Dochartaigh wrote:
SNK-NEO-GEO wrote: Wowww..You are comparing a free item/TV with something that cost thousands of dollars. The free is not just "nice" it is the best deal on the planet, doesn't cost a penny:) I give you the light gun part but nothing else. You can use a digital lightgun...The BVM32 suck for 240p content....720p is where the BVM excel. Who is getting BVM32 for cheap and where? I know a few people looking that I can send your way:)
I never said "free" (although people do find BVM's for free), I said people still find these for "cheap". My buddy picked up a D32 for $500 last year for example - for the craziness that the smaller D24's go for regularly, I would consider that cheap as hell.

For myself personally, especially in the mid-atlantic area (where both you and I live), I've had zero problem finding over a hundred PVM/BVM type monitors in the last 15 months since I've been into these. Everything from PVM-1340's, to L5's and MultiFormat BVM's (even a monster PVM-3230). Half were free, or if I averaged everything out they were $49/each (not counting toll and gas money - longest drive was ~1.5 hours each way). I think $49 would fall into anybodies definition of "cheap"...

Anyway, there's no commercially currently-available 'digital lightgun' to run on native consoles like NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, Saturn, etc, so they work on your LCD/LED/Plasma/OLED flatscreen FYI.
HOT DAMN.. I need to move to your area.. I will make a living out of picking up free/$49 PVM/BVM and selling them on eBay:)..that $500 BVM will Net me some serious cash.
The Future Is Now
archimage

Post by archimage »

hello guys, I tried to tweak the CLP Y DLY setting in the maintenance menu of my 20F1U but it looks locked to 128, anyone has an idea how to unlock it ?