Dreamcast to Sony BVM D Series via Toro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
zoopster

Dreamcast to Sony BVM D Series via Toro

Post by zoopster »

Hi

I've got an odd issue when connecting my Dreamcast to a Sony BVM D series via a TORO device. In 15khz 480i mode I have no problems aside from the usual interlace issues. When I use 31khz 480p mode via both SCART and 15DB cables (RBGs) the image is rock solid but the top 10% of the image curves off to the right. Appears to be a sync problem. On my LG LCD tv I get a good 480p image with RGBHV and DB15 cable - but image quality is nowhere near the BVM image. Anyone else see something similar?

Thanks
John
RGB0b

Re: Dreamcast to Sony BVM D Series via Toro

Post by RGB0b »

Is VCR mode turned on? You'll have to go into the maintenance menu (code should be 1111) and turn it on.
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

retrorgb wrote:Is VCR mode turned on? You'll have to go into the maintenance menu (code should be 1111) and turn it on.
Good idea. I had a look - and had previously enabled VCR mode on the BVM prior to the firmware being updated - and although VCR mode is listed it cannot be selected (appears in a blue rather than white font). Annoying.

To be honest I can probably live with the curve by pushing the top of the screen up using vertical center controls. 31khz 480p is so much better than 15khz 480i on the BVM.

The output via the DB15 cable seems more stable than the SCART connection on the Toro. Any ideas is I can push DB15 from the Toro to SCART with the right cable?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

VCR mode is probably not available because it's a 31khz signal.

Just can get an Extron interface to properly convert RGBHV to RGsB or RGBs (RGsB is fine, so you only need three BNC cables). The cheapest one you can find ($15 maybe) will do the job.
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

Fudoh wrote:VCR mode is probably not available because it's a 31khz signal.

Just can get an Extron interface to properly convert RGBHV to RGsB or RGBs (RGsB is fine, so you only need three BNC cables). The cheapest one you can find ($15 maybe) will do the job.
The Extron RGB 109 did the job with a RGBHV 31khz signal (Toro switch on jumpers 1/2) but it's a pain as the 109 doesn't appear to have a RGsB (sync on green option) so I need to switch over the bnc cables on the main RGB card with sync bnc connection. There also appear to be some artifacts added by the Extron. Still it is 480p and no curved image :)
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Ossc also fixes this weirdness. It happens on both my Bvm d monitors without
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

zoopster wrote:
Fudoh wrote:VCR mode is probably not available because it's a 31khz signal.

The Extron RGB 109 did the job with a RGBHV 31khz signal (Toro switch on jumpers 1/2) but it's a pain as the 109 doesn't appear to have a RGsB (sync on green option) so I need to switch over the bnc cables on the main RGB card with sync bnc connection. There also appear to be some artifacts added by the Extron. Still it is 480p and no curved image :)
Out of interest would a BKM-21D card support 480p via RGsB? I'm thinking I could get an Extron RGB that supported RGsB and an additional BKM-21D.
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

LDigital wrote:Ossc also fixes this weirdness. It happens on both my Bvm d monitors without
That's interesting as I have an OSSC on order - what's your chain look like?
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Dreamcast toro > ossc vga input > porta hdmi to component converter > bvm
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

LDigital wrote:Dreamcast toro > ossc vga input > porta hdmi to component converter > bvm
Thanks. Few questions:

Are you using sync on green for the RGB signal being sent over component? Does that require any special configuration or is handled via the chain of devices?
Do you see much lag or image loss being added by the HDMI converter? It has a nice price.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I assume he's using a HDMI to YPbPr converter, so not RGsB, but genuine component. You just have to set your BVM's to YPbPr instead of RGB.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

That is Correct. No lag that I can detect either
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

My final solution was an Extron RGB 109xi with SoG enabled connected to the main RGB card in the BVM (slot 4). Note connecting to a BKM-21D didn't fix the curve issue.
mheyman

Post by mheyman »

Could you go into details on how you set up the Extron 109xi to work with the Toro?

Right now I hooked up:

Dreamcast -> Toro -> Extron RGB 109xi -> BNC output -> Extron Crosspoint Ultra -> Sony BVM D

When going from Toro -> Extron the colors are good but the curve is showing.

With the Extron RGB 109xi the colors are gone and the image looks distorted and ghosted. The curve is still there. I tried putting all the dip switches in up and down positions. Nothing looks correct. Do i need to change a setting on the Toro, the 109xi or the channel on my BVM?

Please help! :)
Kez

Post by Kez »

The SERR dip switch should remove the curve, and I think with DDSP set to OFF. The ghosting can be fixed with one of the settings in the BVM.. I think it's Y CLP DLY. Sorry this is all from memory though!
mheyman

Post by mheyman »

Kez wrote:The SERR dip switch should remove the curve, and I think with DDSP set to OFF. The ghosting can be fixed with one of the settings in the BVM.. I think it's Y CLP DLY. Sorry this is all from memory though!
Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll just walk down the list of options.

For the Toro do I set it to RGBHV or RGBs? Do I set it to VGA or RGB?

On the Extron can I use the Buffered Local Monitor output or do I have to use the BNC output?

Do you use RGsB on the Extron? Or is only the SERR switch moved to the up position.

I've been using this manual to make sure I had things set up properly: https://www.extron.com/download/files/u ... i_RevD.pdf

I suppose its possible something is wrong with the 109xi I ordered. The image was almost gray, very dark and had this liquid like quality to it, everything was smearing around the screen.
Kez

Post by Kez »

mheyman wrote:For the Toro do I set it to RGBHV or RGBs? Do I set it to VGA or RGB?
This should not matter, as long as you only connect to the RGBS outputs, you will get RGBS regardless of input.
mheyman wrote:On the Extron can I use the Buffered Local Monitor output or do I have to use the BNC output?
From the 109xi, I am not sure but BNC is the safer bet I think.
mheyman wrote:Do you use RGsB on the Extron? Or is only the SERR switch moved to the up position.
Again this should not matter, as long as the monitor is looking for sync in the right place. There is no need to enable RGsB though, so I would turn it off.
mheyman wrote:I suppose its possible something is wrong with the 109xi I ordered. The image was almost gray, very dark and had this liquid like quality to it, everything was smearing around the screen.
It is possible, but I think not. I believe I also had your exact issue.. here are some pictures:
ImageImage

I was able to fix this by adjusting settings in the maintenance menu.
MENU -> SETUP -> EXTEND MENU [PIN CODE] -> MAINTENANCE [PIN CODE] -> BK BOARD -> PAGE 6 -> CLP P DLY

My PIN is 1111, which I think is default.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

I can't answer everything here, but I can at least provide some input.
mheyman wrote:For the Toro do I set it to RGBHV or RGBs? Do I set it to VGA or RGB?
First, VGA is RGBHV, and RGBHV is not necessarily VGA; like how all squares are also rectangles, but not all rectangles are also squares. In the context of the Dreamcast, VGA is a bit of a misnomer; when outputting "VGA" the console outputs DTV 480p (720x480 frames), not a VGA-compliant 640x480.

As for the Toro, there are two video mode switches. The one closest to the Dreamcast, in the bank of 4 switches, controls which video mode the Dreamcast outputs. You need this set to RGBHV/VGA in order to get 480p out of the console; and, if you don't have something like a GDEMU that can force normally-480i games to 480p, you'll need this switch to trick your games into using 480p (if that's what you want to do).

The other switch is nestled between the SCART and DE-15 ports and controls whether the DE-15 port outputs RGBHV or RGBS; the SCART output always outputs RGBS. I believe the Toro ships with the DE-15 port configured for RGBHV output, but it doesn't really matter if you're running it into an RGB interface; that should automatically detect between RGBHV, RGBS, and RGsB.
mheyman wrote:On the Extron can I use the Buffered Local Monitor output or do I have to use the BNC output?
Buffered Local Monitor, to my knowledge, is simply a passthrough, and that no processing is applied to it; so, yes, you will need to use the BNC output.
mheyman wrote:Do you use RGsB on the Extron? Or is only the SERR switch moved to the up position.
Whether you use RGsB over RGBS or RGBHV is entirely up to you and whether your BVM supports switching to internal sync (RGsB). I'm assuming you'll need to pick up some BNC-to-BNC cables to connect your RGB interface to your BVM, so, if your BVM does support RGsB/internal sync, you can probably save a couple dollars by only picking up three cables instead of four or five, and you're not going to see any difference in quality between RGsB, RGBS, or RGBHV.
ElBartoME

Post by ElBartoME »

Kez wrote: I was able to fix this by adjusting settings in the maintenance menu.
MENU -> SETUP -> EXTEND MENU [PIN CODE] -> MAINTENANCE [PIN CODE] -> BK BOARD -> PAGE 6 -> CLP P DLY

My PIN is 1111, which I think is default.
Thanks!!! I got the same problem with some resolutions on my D24 and an Extron RGB 202Rxi and changing that value finally fixed it. I have been searching for a solution for some time now.