Non-powered active HDMI to VGA adapters for OSSC

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
LDigital

Non-powered active HDMI to VGA adapters for OSSC

Post by LDigital »

I have been using one call xgeek that looks identical to the tendrak for about a year now and it's rock solid. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same
FinalBaton

Re: Non-powered active HDMI to VGA adapters for OSSC

Post by FinalBaton »

headlesshobbs wrote:
Gunstar wrote:@FinalBaton I could be wrong but I don't think Blu-Ray will play through these cheap adapters, they don't strip HDCP like the HD Furys I believe.
As soon as I can figure out where I left my adapter at, I'm going to post something to show that mine works between my PS3 and a Sony brand BDP. Don't think that all of them are incompatible.

On the flip side a poster on youtube wanted to try an audio out comparison, so this is also something extra to take into account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEN9gmPMlMc
Is your cheap converter a Tendak, headlesshobbs?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

By the way : the Tendak just got it's price cut in half on Amazon.com, was 29.99 USD and is now 14.99 USD

Shipping fee to Canada (well, Québec at least) is 7.03 USD, taxes 2.28 USD. for a total of 24.30 USD (32.67 CND). Much more reasonable than before.

This is the cheapest option I found for canadians, cheapest ones on ebay amount to 45 CND with shipping fees and import charges
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

I just checked the ps3 blu-ray playback through the Tendak and it works. Tested on a ps3 slim @720p. Didn't check 1080p because it's fiddly trying to get a diamondtron/Lacie to sync so can't say if that res would work.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Nice!
Thanks for testing this Gunstar!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Bumping this with one more quick DACs shootout, this time with the aid of a capture device (AverMedia LGP2) and a new contender - the Extron DVI-RGB 200. This one seemed quite attractive to me thanks to the selectable RGBHV/RGBS/RGsB out and DVI pass-through, which would allow to get the OSSC output to both a digital and analog display at the same time. I was slightly worried with its built-in EDID management feature (would it require me to toggle the switch each time I changed resolution? Would it support off-spec resolutions?) but it turned out to be completely irrelevant - no matter what resolution the switch was set on, the Extron would always spit out whatever resolution I fed it with.

Anyway, my test was very quick, and consisted of a few screen grabs from an Xbox 360 (set to 1080p) converted to analog with the test subjects (Extron RGB-DVI 200, Gefen DVI to VGA, HDFury 1), and then back to digital with an OSSC to be fed to the capture device. The Extron and the Gefen performed essentially the same in all cases, giving out a pretty good picture (except for one case - with the Xbox set to 480p, the Extron behaved bad for some reason). The output from the HDFury was quite different though. It was noticeably brighter and a bit more contrasted than both of the others, but without resulting overblown - in fact, the HDFury managed to pick up more black detail. Here is a comparison that makes it clear:
https://ibb.co/ndp0wv
https://ibb.co/mP0Jia
https://ibb.co/dyuYGv

Here's the Extron with the brightness setting (built-in in the game) with three notches above default:
https://ibb.co/hY8XRv

Some black detail is restored this way, but still a bit less than what the HDFury manages without tweaking, and with an image that's starting to lose detail elsewhere and look washed out. The difference is definitely minor, but I'd say that the HDFury 1 has the other two beat in image quality. The Extron has more flexibility with its two output (but misbehaved with low-res content), the Gefen has not very much up its sleeve. One disadvantage of the HdFury 1 is that its output is not meant to travel across long cables - in fact, it has a male vga out and comes with a female to male adapter that's meant to be directly plugged to the display. I had to place a (powered) splitter in between it and the OSSC (they were placed too far away), and I wonder if it will play along nicely with a passive vga splitter (I have one in the mail, will report back if the HDFury is unusable with it).

By the way, while probably no one cares, both the HDFury 1 and the Gefen support 15kHz signals (I couldn't test the Extron since I don't have a BNC to BNC cable to hook it up to my JVC CRT).

BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Xer Xian wrote:By the way, while probably no one cares, both the HDFury 1 and the Gefen support 15kHz signals
whoa! this is awesome! Glad I hung on to my HD Fury 1. Did you not have to increase the horizontal pixel density?

And even though nobody cares now, they might in 5 or 10 years, when you can't find any new graphics cards supporting VGA out. Will be very useful for people that might want to hook up their main PC's to CRT's on the side.

About the Extron: Did you hook it up to a PC to see how high it can go with resolution or refresh rate? I'm curious about that because the best my HD Fury Nano GX can do is about 1600x1200 @ 85hz or 1920x1440 @ 60hz.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Xer Xian wrote:Bumping this with one more quick DACs shootout, this time with the aid of a capture device (AverMedia LGP2) and a new contender - the Extron DVI-RGB 200. This one seemed quite attractive to me thanks to the selectable RGBHV/RGBS/RGsB out and DVI pass-through, which would allow to get the OSSC output to both a digital and analog display at the same time. I was slightly worried with its built-in EDID management feature (would it require me to toggle the switch each time I changed resolution? Would it support off-spec resolutions?) but it turned out to be completely irrelevant - no matter what resolution the switch was set on, the Extron would always spit out whatever resolution I fed it with.

Anyway, my test was very quick, and consisted of a few screen grabs from an Xbox 360 (set to 1080p) converted to analog with the test subjects (Extron RGB-DVI 200, Gefen DVI to VGA, HDFury 1), and then back to digital with an OSSC to be fed to the capture device. The Extron and the Gefen performed essentially the same in all cases, giving out a pretty good picture (except for one case - with the Xbox set to 480p, the Extron behaved bad for some reason). The output from the HDFury was quite different though. It was noticeably brighter and a bit more contrasted than both of the others, but without resulting overblown - in fact, the HDFury managed to pick up more black detail. Here is a comparison that makes it clear:

Here's the Extron with the brightness setting (built-in in the game) with three notches above default:

Some black detail is restored this way, but still a bit less than what the HDFury manages without tweaking, and with an image that's starting to lose detail elsewhere and look washed out. The difference is definitely minor, but I'd say that the HDFury 1 has the other two beat in image quality. The Extron has more flexibility with its two output (but misbehaved with low-res content), the Gefen has not very much up its sleeve. One disadvantage of the HdFury 1 is that its output is not meant to travel across long cables - in fact, it has a male vga out and comes with a female to male adapter that's meant to be directly plugged to the display. I had to place a (powered) splitter in between it and the OSSC (they were placed too far away), and I wonder if it will play along nicely with a passive vga splitter (I have one in the mail, will report back if the HDFury is unusable with it).

By the way, while probably no one cares, both the HDFury 1 and the Gefen support 15kHz signals (I couldn't test the Extron since I don't have a BNC to BNC cable to hook it up to my JVC CRT).

Can you turn Nintendo Switch 1080p digital to analog with the Extron RGB-200?

This console does not output through the Tendak DAC HDMI to RGBHV to my Pro Monitor even on 480p.
Copyright 1987
cfx

Post by cfx »

Xer Xian wrote:Bumping this with one more quick DACs shootout, this time with the aid of a capture device (AverMedia LGP2) and a new contender - the Extron DVI-RGB 200. This one seemed quite attractive to me thanks to the selectable RGBHV/RGBS/RGsB out and DVI pass-through, which would allow to get the OSSC output to both a digital and analog display at the same time. I was slightly worried with its built-in EDID management feature (would it require me to toggle the switch each time I changed resolution? Would it support off-spec resolutions?) but it turned out to be completely irrelevant - no matter what resolution the switch was set on, the Extron would always spit out whatever resolution I fed it with.

I can add some info to this that might be of use to someone... As discussed here some time ago, I have a DVDO Duo that I'm using, or attempting to, with a JVC DT-V1710CG. That monitor, according to my understanding of the specs, supports RGBHV, but not with VGA-spec sync levels; i.e. it only expects "video level" 75-ohm terminated levels, not TTL. Hence I looked for HDMI-to-analog converters that output either component or RGsB to sidestep this issue.

My testing is all with a (Japanese "fat") PS2, as that's the primary console I wish to use here, to deinterlace 480i games to 480p for the JVC. I also did some testing on an NEC FE992 PC CRT, which has 1280x960 max usable resolution.

The first converter I got was an Atlona AT-HD420 which supports VGA and component output with a dongle cable that it comes with. Using the component setup, this worked with decent output on the JVC, and it reported appropriate EDID info to the DVDO. However, I didn't like using it with concern that it would end up damaging the JVC. When the PS2 video blanks out during portions of the boot-up sequence for the system as well as some games, instead of the screen just blanking out as it does with the PS2 directly connected, there would be a burst of what looks like an out-of-range signal being displayed on the screen, accompanied by what sounds like a flyback whine. I tested the same setup on the NEC FE992, but with the Atlona outputting VGA of course, and this didn't happen; however, the NEC being a multisync computer monitor I think it likely is designed to not display anything when this happens.

So I then bought an Extron DVI-RGB 150, which is the predecessor to the 200. I've forgotten all the details, but I believe mine doesn't support as high resolutions and I know the EDID stuff in it is simpler which is mainly why I chose it as I thought I'd be less likely to have any issues with it. I hooked it up to the JVC via RGsB mode, and it works without sending garbage to the monitor. However, I get the same kind of darkened image as described above. I didn't have any kind of real test pattern or anything to use but just eyeballing it I could adjust with the JVC's controls, and perhaps get there with the level control on the Extron, but it seemed clear to me that the setting of that control the manual claims is zero gain, is not. Of course, I don't know if the 150 and 200 behave exactly the same in this regard but it's certainly a similar effect.

I didn't try the Extron on the NEC because I don't have the necessary BNC-to-VGA cable.

480p didn't appear to be causing any issues for me so perhaps that is something with the Xbox rather than the Extron. With the Atlona, I also tried some higher resolutions output from the DVDO to the NEC, which worked fine as well.
Blair

Post by Blair »

interesting info cfx, by chance have you looked into trying the HD fury 2 gamer VGA, or HD fury 2 gamer YUV (component)? those seem tailor-made to solve this issue.
Spoiler
also, is your DVDO duo having trouble maintaining sync with your PlayStation 2?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

@BazookaBen: nope, I didn't try to push the Extron to the limit. According to the specifications, it can go up to 1920x1200@60Hz.

@Hoagtech: That's weird. Unfortunately I don't have a Switch to test it with.

@cfx: I have the exact same monitor (but I actually inserted the input card into a TM-H150CG to test for 240 support). Honestly I didn't think about looking at sync requirements for the IF-C01COMG card first - you're right, it looks like it expects a sync with 4 Vp-p amplitude, while for example the Extron outputs 5 Vp-p. I observed the small burst during the PS2 boot-up as well - I wonder if the slightly off-spec signal could cause damage in the long run.

That said, I resorted to the JVC just to test for 240 support, and as of now I'm planning to use the OSSC+DAC combo with two VGA monitors only. For use with CRT video monitors, I second Blair's suggestion on the HDFury 2 (gamer or non-gamer version), its component out is more likely to be safer than the RGsB out of the Extron DVI-RGB (which should still be 5 Vp-p *).

By the way, I've just bought an HDFury 2 as well (last one I buy hopefully), should be able to test it by the end of the week..

* Edit: ok I'm dumb, with RGsB the sync is internal and on the color channels the Extron's signal is within spec. Cool, I never thought RGsB could ever be of some use.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Blair wrote:interesting info cfx, by chance have you looked into trying the HD fury 2 gamer VGA, or HD fury 2 gamer YUV (component)? those seem tailor-made to solve this issue.
Spoiler
also, is your DVDO duo having trouble maintaining sync with your PlayStation 2?
I haven't tried the HDFury units though some things I read after these others I was considering it, just balking at buying something else. Somewhat ironically, I avoided them initially because of some of them having the RGB expansion and other features like that that suggested to me they were likely fiddling with the signal in ways I'd prefer they not.

I haven't had any sync issues with the PS2 and the Duo, neither with 480i PS2 games or 240p PS1 games. I'm not really interested in scaling 240p but I wanted to test it. Back in the "DVD Edge How it performs" thread here, I had discussed the Duo over several years with mainly Fudoh. He originally supplied me with a short video showing a basically rolling picture because of this issue on the Edge Green and Duo. After I got the Duo I asked him about this since I didn't experience it and I believe he told me he no longer remembered. There's a few possibilities: 1) Maybe a newer firmware fixed or improved the issue, 2) Maybe it's only via RGB and I've only used component because while I have a PS JP21 cable I don't have an adapter so I can try that on the Duo, and finally 3) somewhere in further researching this I found Fudoh's comment that the PS2 was the exception to this issue anyway. I can't find that again or the rest of this easily since the search here is seemingly worthless or maybe I just don't know how to use it effectively.

I didn't try PS2 output at 480p into the Duo though. Also, I'm aware the Duo is sort of overkill for my use here, but I also wanted to have it for things like DVD upscaling on a plasma TV.
Xer Xian wrote:@cfx: I have the exact same monitor (but I actually inserted the input card into a TM-H150CG to test for 240 support). Honestly I didn't think about looking at sync requirements for the IF-C01COMG card first - you're right, it looks like it expects a sync with 4 Vp-p amplitude, while for example the Extron outputs 5 Vp-p. I observed the small burst during the PS2 boot-up as well - I wonder if the slightly off-spec signal could cause damage in the long run.

That said, I resorted to the JVC just to test for 240 support, and as of now I'm planning to use the OSSC+DAC combo with two VGA monitors only. For use with CRT video monitors, I second Blair's suggestion on the HDFury 2 (gamer or non-gamer version), its component out is more likely to be safer than the RGsB out of the Extron DVI-RGB (which should still be 5 Vp-p *).

By the way, I've just bought an HDFury 2 as well (last one I buy hopefully), should be able to test it by the end of the week..

* Edit: ok I'm dumb, with RGsB the sync is internal and on the color channels the Extron's signal is within spec. Cool, I never thought RGsB could ever be of some use.
Yep, RGsB sidesteps the sync level issue. With my Extron on the JVC, at worst I only got a very short flash on screen during those boot up signal changes, similar to things sometimes seen with a source directly connected to the JVC so I didn't worry much about those. With the Atlona, it's a couple of seconds, you see a distorted picture with retrace lines, and there's that flyback sound that worries me.

For certain this is not caused by the Duo as I was able to test an XRGB-Mini and it did the same thing with the Atlona.

I had forgotten earlier I also used a US slim-model PS2 with similar results overall so I don't think the console model matters too much.

I just rechecked this stuff now as my original tests were quite some months ago before personal issues got in the way and I didn't remember everything.

I'll be interested in your HDFury 2 results.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Any heat issues with the Tendak female HDMI to male VGA/DSUB?
Had a HDMI to VGA version of the Unbranded DVI to VGA featured in OP but the thing would heat up to ridiculous levels. It eventual stopped working after a few gaming sessions and upon opening it the whole board was coated in hot glue.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Well, I did receive my HDFury 2 but I can't get it to work. Either it's faulty, or the Xbox 360 and PS3 don't output enough current to power it on. The seller provided a (cheap, chinese) PSU but, while compatible according to the specs, it doesn't improve the situation. I'm waiting for another PSU to be delivered, hopefully that will solve the issue.

Regarding the matter of compatibility of these DACs with the JVC DT-V or similar pro-monitors, after some more research I now think there should be no problem. The DVI-RGB 200 specs do report a voltage range of 5 Vp-p, but that's only when unterminated - under load, it should fall down to a level compatible with the IF-C01COMG (see here for some measurements of similar Extron equipment). Anyway, while not relevant for my setup, I'll still try to snatch a vga to bnc dongle to test both RGBHV and RGsB with my JVC..
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Yeah, your adapter may have had the wrong polarity on the connector. For my HD Fury 1 I picked up a USB>barrel cable, but I had to strip and switch the wires in the middle to get proper polarity.
Blair

Post by Blair »

Zen wrote:Any heat issues with the Tendak female HDMI to male VGA/DSUB?
Had a HDMI to VGA version of the Unbranded DVI to VGA featured in OP but the thing would heat up to ridiculous levels. It eventual stopped working after a few gaming sessions and upon opening it the whole board was coated in hot glue.
here's a short list of the ones I've tested, (my personal top picks are the E-More, Rankie, and HD Furry 2 gamer) (check out spoilers for pics)

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... e#p1266332
Xer Xian wrote:Well, I did receive my HDFury 2 but I can't get it to work. Either it's faulty, or the Xbox 360 and PS3 don't output enough current to power it on. The seller provided a (cheap, chinese) PSU but, while compatible according to the specs, it doesn't improve the situation. I'm waiting for another PSU to be delivered, hopefully that will solve the issue.
that's really strange, my 360 elite, ps3 slim and VP50pro all seem to be putting out enough juice via HDMI to power the HDFury 2 gamer. (is the blue light on the adapter turning on?)

Monoprice stocks an external power supply that's verified to work with the HDFury 2 (gamer). (according to the store page)
Last edited by Blair on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

I kinda anticipated the HDFury 2 was dead so I bought a Nano GX - but it turned out it was just a matter of bad PSU. Well, that means this will now be a comparison between 5 different contraptions :? I also figured I might as well use my Crystalio II once in a while, so I dug it up to carry out this test. I'm going to post links to the screen grabs for all the DACs tested and then provide a brief comment below. By going back and forth from one tab to the other on your browser you can effectively compare the shots you may be interested in.

Edit: Please be aware that the capture device was not properly calibrated and consequently not even the grey ramp of the source are spot on. This doesn't invalidate the testing, as long as you evaluate the DACs' grey ramps by comparing them to the source's ones - any deviation means the DAC is not neutral.

Source:
1. Menu: https://ibb.co/m9hOEQ
2. Grey ramp (0-255): https://ibb.co/fD0og5
3. Pixel perfect (720p): https://ibb.co/bKHeok
4. Crop (2x expanded): https://ibb.co/hSLzok
7. Grey ramp 0-100 IRE (CII set to RGB Limited, capture device set to RGB Full): https://ibb.co/mfEBZQ
8. Grey ramp 0-100 IRE (CII set to RGB Limited, capture device set to RGB Limited): https://ibb.co/h3edEQ
(sorry, forgot to label the last two images)

Gefen DVI to VGA:
1. Menu: https://ibb.co/i0S9M5
2. Grey ramp (0-255): https://ibb.co/mLJuok
3. Pixel perfect (720p): https://ibb.co/hB9pM5
4. Crop (2x expanded): https://ibb.co/nd3ig5
5. Menu (RGB Full): https://ibb.co/g2TS8k
6. Menu (RGB Limited): https://ibb.co/nJA78k

Extron DVI-RGB 200:
1. Menu: https://ibb.co/iQ4TEQ
2. Grey ramp (0-255): https://ibb.co/bLvDg5
3. Pixel perfect (720p): https://ibb.co/cKdMZQ
4. Crop (2x expanded): https://ibb.co/jC8Yg5
5. Menu (RGB Full): https://ibb.co/nqPvuQ
6. Menu (RGB Limited): https://ibb.co/hfDoEQ

HDFury Nano GX:
1. Menu: https://ibb.co/eXSb15
2. Grey ramp (0-255): https://ibb.co/kYYG15
3. Pixel perfect (720p): https://ibb.co/isNyEQ
4. Crop (2x expanded): https://ibb.co/bM578k
5. Menu (RGB Full): https://ibb.co/kqe0Tk
6. Menu (RGB Limited): https://ibb.co/kuHn8k

HDFury 1:
1. Menu: https://ibb.co/nvxWZQ
2. Grey ramp (0-255): https://ibb.co/fLupM5
3. Pixel perfect (720p): https://ibb.co/dd1rZQ
4. Crop (2x expanded): https://ibb.co/cx2WZQ
5. Menu (RGB Full): https://ibb.co/k0DG15
6. Menu (RGB Limited): https://ibb.co/dSdzM5
7. Gray ramp 0-100 IRE (CII set to RGB Limited, capture device set to RGB Full): https://ibb.co/nirfTk

HDFury 2 (RGB mode):
1. Menu: https://ibb.co/cgAkuQ
2. Grey ramp (0-255): https://ibb.co/dh79M5
3. Pixel perfect (720p): https://ibb.co/dp8S8k
4. Crop (2x expanded): https://ibb.co/fwbQuQ
5. Menu (RGB Full): https://ibb.co/ezMQuQ
6. Menu (RGB Limited): https://ibb.co/jhgEok
7. Gray ramp 0-100 IRE (CII set to RGB Limited, capture device set to RGB Full): https://ibb.co/hUE0Tk

If you wish, all the screenshots in their original resolution (plus 1080p Pixel perfect, not linked above) can be downloaded from here. All but two are labelled (I used paint, but any artifacts present in the images were there to begin with and are most likely the fault of compression applied by the capture device, since they are there even in the reference screenshots).

--

So.. to my eyes, the HDFury 1 and Nano GX are the only one that are accurate enough to use out of the box without further tweaking (I bought the Nano GX new and tested it with factory settings for the gamma curve). The others all look washed out to me (HDFury 2 included) and definitely require a monitor recalibration to be used effectively. The Fury 2 is also the only one to perform significantly worse than the others in the pixel perfect test pattern (meaning it softens the image noticeably). The HDFury 1 was the closest to the reference, so the sharpest of all (but you would be hard pressed to tell it apart from all the others, Fury 2 excepted). Lastly, while the HDFury 2 is promoted as being able to remap RGB Limited 16-235 to Full 0-255 to avoid a restricted dynamic range when hooked up to a RGB Full monitor (like CRT monitors), I can't say I noticed any of it when comparing screenshots 7 to reference 7 and 8 * . The Fury 2 can come with one among three different firmwares (see here for more info, but it's not clear at all), I don't know if mine (v1.51) is the worst of the bunch.

The Gefen and HDFury didn't require an external PSU up to 720p sources, but it was necessary for 1080p. The Nano GX never required an external PSU, the Extron and HDFury 2 always required it.

All the DACs have been tested for lag with a Leo Bodnar tester - as expected, in all cases it is too close to the base lag to be measured.

I think I'll keep the HDFury 1 and Nano GX, and dump the rest on eBay.

* Edit: I should add that the vga signal was always digitized by the OSSC prior to capturing (this wasn't needed with the direct CII captures of course). It should have no bearing on this result anyway, since most likely the OSSC expects full range RGB on its inputs - so the only consequence should be moving the limited/full range mismatch one step before in the chain.
Last edited by Xer Xian on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blair

Post by Blair »

excellent rundown Xer Xian, I also wanted to add that when I mentioned my HDFury 2, I was talking about the HDFury 2 gamer (RGBHV). I thought that was the version you had (I didn't know they were still selling the original HDFury 2). sorry about any confusion.

when I get a break today i'll have a chance to dig into your DAC Roundup. cheers!
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

No problem Blair :) and yeah you need to resort to eBay for all of the stuff I tested (Nano GX excepted). It seems the market is flooded with cheap DACs nowadays (doesn't necessarily mean they're bad though).
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Nice work, Xer Xian! Interesting that the remapping didn't work for you on the HD Fury 2, I found the same to be true for the HD Fury 3.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Thanks Gunstar. I wonder if our units are faulty or if it was just a case of false advertising.

I've also tried feeding limited range through YCbCr on mine and, even with the switch correctly set on YUV *, this is the result I got:

This is with the switch on RGB:

Well not that I really care anyway - I don't have a Wii U.

* Edit: Wait, that refers to the output. The Fury should be able to tell YCbCr apart from RGB automatically. So the "correct" setting is with the switch on RGB (since I had it connected to the RGBHV channel on the OSSC).

Edit 2: ok, so when the Fury was set to output YUV I got a green picture because I didn't change the input configuration on the OSSC. I don't know why I got messed up colors with the switch on RGB, but after resetting the Fury a couple of time I got it working properly with YCbCr inputs. So here's the 0-100 IRE gray ramp with the CII set to output YCbCr limited range, the Fury set to output RGBHV, and the capture device set to RGB Full range:

It still doesn't look like the Fury is correctly remapping the color spaces. Also, I can't get it to output YUV. The OSSC only picks up a signal when set to receive RGBHV. So there's a chance that my unit is faulty after all.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Maybe I'm missing something but there seems to be something wrong with your source images:

Source 2. Grey ramp 0-255 is already heavily crushed
Source 7. Grey ramp 0-100 IRE: If the CII is set to Limited and the capture card is set to Full then the ramp should not be at the correct levels like it is now.
Source 8. Grey ramp 0-100 IRE. Both are set to limited but still crushed?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

That's due to the capture device default settings not being 100% spot on. I should have calibrated it better admittedly, but this doesn't invalidate the testing - even if the source pictures aren't quite right themselves, this is a relative comparison. Any deviation from the (slightly off) grey ramp of the source is still unwelcome.

And Source 7 easily looks kinda right even when there's some miscalibration - a limited range input to a full range receiver tends to never show black or white crush (that happens when the RGB range mismatch is in the other direction, ie full range into limited). It doesn't mean it's right though - it most likely has a dynamic range that's lower/flatter than how it should be.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

I wouldn't call crushing the 4 lightest and 3 darkest colors together "slightly off".

Source 7 doesn't look right at all. With Limited output captured in Full, black should be 16 and white should be 235. Yet its 0-255. It would appear your capture setup is calibrated for Limited into Full so that Full->Full or Limited->Limited are way off.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

You're right. It's way off. Still, this doesn't invalidate a comparative test. You're not supposed to take the gray ramp capture off a DAC per se, but compare it to the source instead. If it's different, it means the DAC is not neutral, which is bad.

And again, you're right in saying that Source 7 should look more washed out had I had the capture device correctly calibrated. Well, I hadn't. I'm not running the test again when this one, as off the mark as it is, still effectively shows the shortcomings of the devices under examination. By the way, I double-checked every screenshoot and their labelling - you can stay sure that they are all correct. Any problem you might detect is always due to incorrect capture device calibration (which had default settings, except for RGB range - that one comes on limited range by default).

And since we're at it, I don't think Source 7 is 0-255, given that there's another test pattern labelled 0-255 on the CII menu. I should actually have labelled it 7.5-100 IRE, because that's what it is. I used it when testing limited range RGB because I thought it was more appropriate for that, but I now realized I should have stuck with 0-255.
Last edited by Xer Xian on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I wonder how my adapter stacks up to the rest. It's this one :

It's a cheap one and to my eyes it looks quite nice. It seems sharp and the colours seem accurate. I can't say just how good a gray ramp is handled though, I haven't performed rigourous tests on it (and I don't plan to), but hopefully one of you guys will at some point

I can send 1080i signals from my PS3 to my NEC XM37 Plus with it, FWIW
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Really surprised how badly the HD Fury 2 performed.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Updated the wiki page - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... s_for_OSSC

Let me know if I goofed anything up.

It's a shame I can't use the image comparator plugin on the wiki, like I use on Wordpress when I review switches/transcoders etc.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
doonut

Post by doonut »

BuckoA51 wrote:Updated the wiki page - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... s_for_OSSC

Let me know if I goofed anything up.

It's a shame I can't use the image comparator plugin on the wiki, like I use on Wordpress when I review switches/transcoders etc.
Thank you for updated.
I cannot hookup ossc 0.78 to dvi-rgb200 directly but it's work if pass to hdmi selector before. (ossc->hdmi selector->dvi-rgb200)
Any idea?

Cheers!
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

doonut wrote:I cannot hookup ossc 0.78 to dvi-rgb200 directly but it's work if pass to hdmi selector before. (ossc->hdmi selector->dvi-rgb200)
My DVI-RGB 200 works fine with an OSSC on 0.78 fw (but it's the old version with DVI out and no audio mixing). Did you try flipping the 'EDID source' switch up or down? It could make a difference on some set-ups (also, with the source switch set on 'monitor' it may be necessary to route the buffered DVI output to an LCD as well.. but not so when left on 'selector'). I didn't find the 'EDID select' rotary switch to have any relevance at all on my set-ups.