Non-powered active HDMI to VGA adapters for OSSC

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xer Xian

Re: Non-powered active HDMI to VGA adapters for OSSC

Post by Xer Xian »

SuperSpongo wrote:Thanks for the input! The HDfury does look like a great solution. The wiki says it does not need an external PSU, though, which would be my preference. Is the external PSU needed for 5X mode, like on some other listed devices?
Yeah it should work with the current supplied by the hdmi cable. External power isn't needed unless you experience video artifacts or dropouts.
In addition, the Analogue DAC is totally designed in house and will offer RGB, Component, S-Video, Composite, Analog audio and more.

If it features s-video and composite out then it's a full-blown downscaler and encoder, not simply a DAC. It would make sense, considering that the latest Analogue consoles do not output 240p - but expect it to be priced accordingly :) The bit about it working with every Analogue system has me confused - why would they feel the need to point that out? Are they going to make it proprietary so that it doesn't work with non-Analogue products? Can they even do that with a standard hdmi input? Is this all just a marketing ploy to sell more systems, meaning it will end up being a vaporware after all? Etc etc
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Xer Xian wrote:
SuperSpongo wrote:Thanks for the input! The HDfury does look like a great solution. The wiki says it does not need an external PSU, though, which would be my preference. Is the external PSU needed for 5X mode, like on some other listed devices?
Yeah it should work with the current supplied by the hdmi cable. External power isn't needed unless you experience video artifacts or dropouts.
In addition, the Analogue DAC is totally designed in house and will offer RGB, Component, S-Video, Composite, Analog audio and more.

If it features s-video and composite out then it's a full-blown downscaler and encoder, not simply a DAC. It would make sense, considering that the latest Analogue consoles do not output 240p - but expect it to be priced accordingly :) The bit about it working with every Analogue system has me confused - why would they feel the need to point that out? Are they going to make it proprietary so that it doesn't work with non-Analogue products? Can they even do that with a standard hdmi input? Is this all just a marketing ploy to sell more systems, meaning it will end up being a vaporware after all? Etc etc

not necessarily, they could just as easily update the main systems' firmwares to add a 240p output mode over HDMI
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

maxtherabbit wrote:not necessarily, they could just as easily update the main systems' firmwares to add a 240p output mode over HDMI
Yeah, I didn't think about that :) makes much more sense. It could also explain why they stressed that it's going to be compatible with all their systems - perhaps meaning, that all their system are going to be compatible with it by supporting a 240p mode.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I'd like to update the Extron DVI-RGB 150 (I didn't test with the 200) information. I was able to get it to directly pass 240p from a raspberry pi to my PVM-2030 using SOG. It appears to be fine with 15kHz signals as long as you use RGB limited.
You could add the info to the web page setup for this stuff if so inclined. If you want any more details or tests I don't mention, happy to oblige.

When I enable Full, it shows some glitchy color artifacts like pixels of the wrong colors and black areas have red stripes added to them. However, the signal out of the DVI-RGB is so hot when you set it to full that there is 0% play in the brightness controls. It overdrives the brightness of the monitor even with the peaking/level controls all the way down. When you set it to limited, the colors look as they did from my RGB output and if I turn up the level control just a degree or two, it brings back the brightness and also gives me room to adjust with the PVMs controls.

Not sure if anyone here has any opinion on the limited-full color space conversion and how it translates to a 15kHz CRT, but it appears to not matter at all to me.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I have the Portta one and I like it soooo much better than the Tendak. I don't believe the Portta requires external power, but comes with a power adapter, so you have the option to do so! Would help out if you find that the image is a bit dark (a problem I've had with the Tendak, but granted, so far I've only used to OSSC on CRT VGA monitors)
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Looking at this figure:

hdmi cable > adapter > crt
adapter > vga cable > crt

Has there been any comparison samples of this as well as any adapters versus non-converted analog via vga at differing resolutions?
"Don't HD my SD!!"
strayan

Post by strayan »

Xer Xian wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:not necessarily, they could just as easily update the main systems' firmwares to add a 240p output mode over HDMI
Yeah, I didn't think about that :) makes much more sense. It could also explain why they stressed that it's going to be compatible with all their systems - perhaps meaning, that all their system are going to be compatible with it by supporting a 240p mode.
marshall via Ichinisan wrote: - the supernt also doesn't generate 240p, though it might not be impossible on that platform

The external DAC for Super Nt would be detected by the Super Nt system, so the system would output raw digital RGB signals through the HDMI port instead of producing an encoded HDMI signal. Only the external DAC from Analogue would have any idea what to do with those signals since it's non-standard.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Anyone else given the Portta a chance? I think it is really really nice, wowed me so hard
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

kitty666cats wrote:Anyone else given the Portta a chance? I think it is really really nice, wowed me so hard
the portta HDMI to VGA? yeah it's great, this is well known
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

maxtherabbit wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Anyone else given the Portta a chance? I think it is really really nice, wowed me so hard
the portta HDMI to VGA? yeah it's great, this is well known
Both HDMI to VGA and Component work really well for the Portta.

Honestly feel Portta's HDMI to VGA is more reliable than the Tendak. I lose picture from time to time with the Tendak never have I had issues with Portta.

I own like 4 Tendaks and 9 Portta's HDMI to VGA converters. All 4 Tendaks have issues with my OSSC
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

How's the audio on the portta?

My U-green adapter works okay, but it introduces a ground hum into my audio.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

vol.2 wrote:How's the audio on the portta?

My U-green adapter works okay, but it introduces a ground hum into my audio.
Didnt pay much attention to it on the portta but at least it works compared to my Tendaks
Shak

Post by Shak »

Anyone knows an hdmi to vga converter for crt which can support interlaced resolutions above 60hz up to 160hz?

I am thinking of getting Tendak but i dont know if it can support it.
Abwezi

Post by Abwezi »

Hey does anyone know how I might be able to diagnose this problem that started happening to me a while ago? I was using a Tendak converter from my OSSC to my Diamond Pro with 2 vga inputs and one day it just stopped working. I've plugged my computer into the input the tendak was on and it works so I know there is no problem with the input. I have verified the hdmi cable in my OSSC works with my TV. I've attempted to use other devices like my PS3 and still nothing. I even purchased a new Tendak converter and still no dice. I just can't figure out why my monitor won't accept the input anymore. I'm thinking of getting a powered converter to see if it will do the trick but I have very little outlets available so the tendak was perfect when it worked I just don't know what changed.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Abwezi wrote:Hey does anyone know how I might be able to diagnose this problem that started happening to me a while ago? I was using a Tendak converter from my OSSC to my Diamond Pro with 2 vga inputs and one day it just stopped working. I've plugged my computer into the input the tendak was on and it works so I know there is no problem with the input. I have verified the hdmi cable in my OSSC works with my TV. I've attempted to use other devices like my PS3 and still nothing. I even purchased a new Tendak converter and still no dice. I just can't figure out why my monitor won't accept the input anymore. I'm thinking of getting a powered converter to see if it will do the trick but I have very little outlets available so the tendak was perfect when it worked I just don't know what changed.
I would think maybe this is an OSSC related question and you should ask in a main OSSC thread.

Basically, you have to figure out what's changed. It's unlikely that it's the tendak because you swapped it and it still doesn't work. There aren't any settings on the Tendak, not likely you goofed something up. The problem most likely lies in the monitor settings or the OSSC.
There are some timing and sync options in the OSSC you may have altered in some way that could account for it. I'm not an expert in the menu, so I can't help with that.

The monitor should be fairly easy to check out the menu and make sure you didn't alter anything. You could try to do a reset on the monitor and see if that helps.
My monitor from the early 2000's has some sync controls on it, and I have used it to dial in some signals that were jumpy in the past. Sharpness settings can also effect sync.

Worst case scenario, something is physically wrong or worn out in one of the two devices.

Another easy thing to try is a different converter. The Portta converter seems to be preferred by many people over the Tendak. You could try that one.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Forgot about this thread!

It's not worth getting a Tendak since they've changed the internals, not sure when they did it but I think it might explain some of the differences in IQ/black crush some people see.
Good:
Bad:
CRT shot source

Internals:
More pics of the internals here.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

ross wrote:Has anyone tried any of the AmazonBasics converters?
Got this one recently. Works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082VYRXBJ/re ... UTF8&psc=1

240p pictures taken after tuning my trinitron, using this adapter:
viewtopic.php?p=1429389#p1429389

Also tested inputting to a pc crt. Absolutely no issues.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Gunstar wrote:Forgot about this thread!

It's not worth getting a Tendak since they've changed the internals, not sure when they did it but I think it might explain some of the differences in IQ/black crush some people see.
There are more possible variations that those two. I can add to that Chip CH7101b which also has a lot more parts on it and an additional IC on the back. I don't have another one to compare it to.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

vol.2 wrote:
Gunstar wrote:Forgot about this thread!

There are more possible variations that those two. I can add to that Chip CH7101b which also has a lot more parts on it and an additional IC on the back. I don't have another one to compare it to.
That's interesting to know. A further reason to avoid them if it's going to be such a lottery.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

ross wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:I have the Portta one and I like it soooo much better than the Tendak. I don't believe the Portta requires external power, but comes with a power adapter, so you have the option to do so! Would help out if you find that the image is a bit dark (a problem I've had with the Tendak, but granted, so far I've only used to OSSC on CRT VGA monitors)
Thought I'd also give an endorsement to the Portta adapter, got this one a few weeks back and it works with or without external power, and I saw no loss of detail in AVS HD 709's black clipping pattern.

Weirdly, it expects 16-235, though this is the first HDMI/VGA adapter I've tested so maybe that's pretty common?
Mine is still going strong and gets used damn near every single day! Sony consoles and Raspberry Pi demand use of the external PSU... just my luck, those are the 2 things I use it most with! Hehe
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Haven't tried a Portta or anything recent, but my HDMI Fury 2 seems to always need external power whenever the HDMI signal has audio, but can do as high as 720p (maybe higher, not sure) without power when there's no audio.
The_Guffman

Post by The_Guffman »

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I am currently down this rabbit hole myself and wondering if the situation has changed, namely regarding things like the OSSC Pro. I've also been victim to the aforementioned issues with swapped Tendak internals, and am trying to find something more consistent... Since the thread hasn't been posted in for a while, can anyone vouch for the current state or stock of the Porttas? Also wondering what the support for these things might be as far as 2560x1440p support. Thanks!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

There's a more recent thread on the same topic here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69451&hilit=portta

And yes, the Portta units are fine, but they require external power, which the Tendak didn't.
Pretty sure all of these max out at regular single channel DVI specs (so 1200p).
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Sorry to revive this thread. Does the HD Fury 3 still have the ringing/halo artifacting in the picture quality? Did a firmware update fix it?

For context, I'm not ussing an OSSC or any scaler, and I'm outputting to a CRT. Just a simple digital to analog conversion. Would I be better off using the HD Fury 3 or an Extron DVI-RGB 200 for better picture quality output to a CRT?
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

Ikaruga11 wrote:Sorry to revive this thread. Does the HD Fury 3 still have the ringing/halo artifacting in the picture quality? Did a firmware update fix it?

For context, I'm not ussing an OSSC or any scaler, and I'm outputting to a CRT. Just a simple digital to analog conversion. Would I be better off using the HD Fury 3 or an Extron DVI-RGB 200 for better picture quality output to a CRT?
If you direct me towards a good comparison spot I could do some comparison shots.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

RebeL9 wrote:
Ikaruga11 wrote:Sorry to revive this thread. Does the HD Fury 3 still have the ringing/halo artifacting in the picture quality? Did a firmware update fix it?

If you direct me towards a good comparison spot I could do some comparison shots.
Any closeup of a 2D sprite on screen would be ideal.