PS1 NTSC games on PAL unit - black boarders.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xyga

Re: PS1 NTSC games on PAL unit - black boarders.

Post by Xyga »

@bosozoku: isn't that the oscillator (resonator) of your modchip ? if then it is needed for your chip to work because the SCPH-550* board doesn't run at 4MHz by itself.
You should probably resolder that oscillator.
Check this: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f10/psx-modchip-faq-64110/

If your console has a 'colormod' installed along with the modchip (I don't believe you made that part clear or we've missed it) then your local technician was probably thinking about disabling it, because those also work by using external oscillators, I think.
No idea if doing so would help with your problem, and that's something your local technician should do himself, I'm afraid you will end up damaging your console.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
bosozoku

Post by bosozoku »

Xyga wrote:@bosozoku: isn't that the oscillator (resonator) of your modchip ? if then it is needed for your chip to work because the SCPH-550* board doesn't run at 4MHz by itself.

If your console has a 'colormod' installed along with the modchip (I don't believe you made that part clear or we've missed it) then your local technician was probably thinking about disabling it, because those also work by using external oscillators, I think.
No idea if doing so would help with your problem, and that's something your local technician should do himself, I'm afraid you will end up damaging your console.
I restored original soldering, everything works as before.

Here is complete picture of mobo:
ImageImage

Also, I've been told by another technician, that I need to unsolder a wire that comes from resonator pin, and also white wire and restore 2 pins for SONY CXA1645M color mode chip, and then NTSC games shuld run in NTSC 60 hz properly, with RGB I will have full color and full screen! Is it right?
Link83

Post by Link83 »

bosozoku wrote:
Xyga wrote:@bosozoku: isn't that the oscillator (resonator) of your modchip ? if then it is needed for your chip to work because the SCPH-550* board doesn't run at 4MHz by itself.

I restored original soldering, everything works as before.

Also, I've been told by another technician, that I need to unsolder a wire that comes from resonator pin, and also white wire and restore 2 pins for SONY CXA1645M color mode chip, and then NTSC games shuld run in NTSC 60 hz properly, with RGB I will have full color and full screen! Is it right?
It does appear to have the "colormod" applied.

I am no expert on PlayStation's so I could be wrong, but it appears that pins 6 and 7 of the CXA-1645M have been lifted and connected to wires so that its fixed to only output PAL in both 50Hz and 60Hz. In order to undo this you would need to remove those two wires and resolder the two chip legs back onto the motherboard (A little risky as they could break off)

Keep in mind though that if your TV/monitor does not display PAL 60Hz correctly it might not be any better without the "colormod". Also you would still need to use a DFO to get perfectly accurate timing for 60Hz mode.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Not sure but if I've followed this correctly then yes, undoing the colormod and fixing the CXA should allow the console to output a normal NTSC60 signal through RGB.
Right ? er...

Well I'm definitely no expert either but resoldering those pins seems risky indeed (I know I would break one :oops: )
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
bosozoku

Post by bosozoku »

Link83,

My TV perfectly supports NTSC (SONY MFM0ht205), PAL is one that is not mentioned in manual!
Will try to restore 2 pins from coder chip, but what is problems with those lifted pins? Are thay really so fragile and difficult to put down and solder? If so, I'd better go with wires!
Link83

Post by Link83 »

bosozoku wrote:My TV perfectly supports NTSC (SONY MFM0ht205), PAL is one that is not mentioned in manual!
Will try to restore 2 pins from coder chip, but what is problems with those lifted pins? Are thay really so fragile and difficult to put down and solder? If so, I'd better go with wires!
Well it just depends how much stress the pins were placed under when they were pulled up, and how high they were lifted off the board - like most metals if you bend it too much it will snap.

Personally I think it will be fine to gently and slowly push the two pins back down onto the board with a soldering iron, but I wanted you to be aware of the potential risk. Soldering wires between the board and pins is possible, but given how tiny the space is it would be very easy to make a mess and bridge other pins with solder.
bosozoku

Post by bosozoku »

I've restored pins at coder chip, but problem remains the same, shifted picture. IDFK what the problem is: my TVs, RGB cable, something else in hardware... At least now I have proper ntsc 60 signal from the coder, so I will try to adjust position using my TV service menu...
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

It's been a while since I've seen anything regarding a DFO mod for the original PlayStation; and, with the PSIO having reached general availability, I would think a DFO would be relevant to a number of people.

The only one I know of used to be sold by VGP, but it's been out of stock for a long time, and what installation documentation I've found lacks clarity. Is anyone currently working or would be interested in working on an updated design?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I just use a 5000X model or lower. They have a GPU which can reference 2 difference crystals at the same time (2 pins off the GPU) but by default these pins are bridged.

Its a simple as separating the pins and rebuilding the circuit from a broken out of region one and adding it to the bottom of the motherboard.
skum

Post by skum »

The DFO is open source and works fine for PSX, so as such it doesn't need an update. It however doesn't fix the subcarrier frequency for the composite video (unless you install two) which is needed to change also (unless you run RGB). I built what I called a MFO to deal with this, which has worked fine.

You can read some about it here:
https://immerhax.com/?p=111