6-port SCART switch from Otaku Games?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Bahn Yuki

Re: 6-port SCART switch from Otaku Games?

Post by Bahn Yuki »

XSync-1 wrote:
Lux wrote:It's basically what you just said. There's 12 ports total but only 6 can really be in use at the same time. Like I wrote earlier in this thread, if you plug both RCA and SCART on "RCA 1" and "SCART 1", you will have signal issues. What you have to do is plug your SCART cable on "SCART 1" and your RCA cables on "RCA 2" for example.
So if I have 2 component consoles (GameCube and PS2) and 3 Scart consoles (NES, SNES, and N64), I can't plug all of them in at the same time?
I have this switch. You only have 5 sources so the switch will be fine. Just make you're not sharing inputs. Each source needs to use one input alone.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

XSync-1 wrote:
Lux wrote:It's basically what you just said. There's 12 ports total but only 6 can really be in use at the same time. Like I wrote earlier in this thread, if you plug both RCA and SCART on "RCA 1" and "SCART 1", you will have signal issues. What you have to do is plug your SCART cable on "SCART 1" and your RCA cables on "RCA 2" for example.
So if I have 2 component consoles (GameCube and PS2) and 3 Scart consoles (NES, SNES, and N64), I can't plug all of them in at the same time?
Think of it as a 6-input switcher, where each input lets you choose between SCART or RCA component.

Like Lux said, you can't have a SCART device and a component device simultaneously plugged into input 1, but you can, for example, connect the SCART device to the SCART socket on input 1, then connect the component device to the RCA jacks on input 2.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

nmalinoski wrote:
XSync-1 wrote:
Think of it as a 6-input switcher, where each input lets you choose between SCART or RCA component.

Like Lux said, you can't have a SCART device and a component device simultaneously plugged into input 1, but you can, for example, connect the SCART device to the SCART socket on input 1, then connect the component device to the RCA jacks on input 2.
Just to clarify, I can plug in NES into Scart 1, SNES into Scart 2, N64 into Scart 3, GameCube into RCA 4, PS2 into RCA 5, and then I'd be fine?
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

XSync-1 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
XSync-1 wrote: So if I have 2 component consoles (GameCube and PS2) and 3 Scart consoles (NES, SNES, and N64), I can't plug all of them in at the same time?

Just to clarify, I can plug in NES into Scart 1, SNES into Scart 2, N64 into Scart 3, GameCube into RCA 4, PS2 into RCA 5, and then I'd be fine?
Perfect.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

How would you guys describe the quality of the device? Is the sound and picture good? Does it have both an RCA and a Scart output, meaning that you could connect both the RCA output and the Scart output to a Framemeister or OSSC at the same time, and then switch between them? Or would you be unable to output both at the same time?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

XSync-1 wrote:How would you guys describe the quality of the device? Is the sound and picture good?
While I've not used one myself, I've not seen any complaints about image degradation.
XSync-1 wrote:Does it have both an RCA and a Scart output, meaning that you could connect both the RCA output and the Scart output to a Framemeister or OSSC at the same time, and then switch between them? Or would you be unable to output both at the same time?
It looks like it has both SCART and component outputs, but the product pages indicate that you should only have one output hooked up at a time; however, it also looks like at least one variant (I didn't exhaustively check each one) has an RGB to YPbPr converter baked in, so you could feasibly have all five consoles hooked up, activate the converter, and connect the switcher's YPbPr component output to the Framemeister's D-Terminal input.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

No issues with any sort of signal degradation. It is after all, very simple pass through routing.

You cannot have multiple outputs connected at the same time. Doing so WILL cause signal degradation on both outputs. There is a switch that allows the scart output to become a 7th input. Useful if you are using the rca outputs.

I'm talking about the 6-to-1 switch posted in the op.

Oh and this cable works great on the rca output, with some bnc female to rca male adapters...assuming you have something like the greenantz in your chain and want to transcode to ypbpr: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=568

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

I have it. It's just a simple passthrough. No modifications to the signal.

It doesn't add any warped graphics to the Master System unlike the shinybow. I do enjoy my shinybow scart switch but this really is the next best thing.

Be mindful though if your trying to daisy chain the shinybow with the otaku switcher, you'll need to make the otaku switch your point device as the SB won't function in reverse.
awe444

Post by awe444 »

NoAffinity wrote:You cannot have multiple outputs connected at the same time. Doing so WILL cause signal degradation on both outputs.
Is an output considered “connected” if the sink device is powered off? For instance, if one output is going into an OSSC and the other into a Framemeister, but only one of those is powered on at any given time, will the signal going through that single powered device be degraded?
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

awe444 wrote:
NoAffinity wrote:You cannot have multiple outputs connected at the same time. Doing so WILL cause signal degradation on both outputs.
Is an output considered “connected” if the sink device is powered off? For instance, if one output is going into an OSSC and the other into a Framemeister, but only one of those is powered on at any given time, will the signal going through that single powered device be degraded?
Yes, if theres a physical connection, regardless if the device is on or off, the signal will be degraded.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk