6-port SCART switch from Otaku Games?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
werk91

Re: 6-port SCART switch from Otaku Games?

Post by werk91 »

Photo
Plenty of clearance. I've ordered one as the RCA/BNC output makes a lot of sense for my setup and gives me less noise and hassle than with awkward to bend heavy duty Scart leads.
Last edited by werk91 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
DiegoPonga

Post by DiegoPonga »

This seems quite interesting, but I want to see whether or not both image quality and room for so many big SCART cables are an issue.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

For that standard cable, sure, but not all SCART heads have that exact shape. I've got a Sony one that's rounded, for example.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Switch arrived two days ago and I'm very pleased with it :)
Picture quality is great, I'm making use of both outputs (RCA for BVM and Scart out to LCD). Both outputs work great but you're not meant to use them at same time, which is no issue for me. Buttons are sturdy and click loud, overall the unit feels solid and with good quality. With price in mind you can't go wrong. Only "issue" I had is Wii Scart wouldn't fit because it's awkwardly shaped. Replaced the Scart head with a normal one and all good. Here's some photos:
Photo
Photo
Last edited by werk91 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atomikorppi

Post by Atomikorppi »

werk91 wrote:Switch arrived two days ago and I'm very pleased with it :)
Picture quality is great, I'm making use of both outputs (RCA for BVM and Scart out to LCD). Both outputs work great but you're not meant to use them at same time, which is no issue for me. Buttons are sturdy and click loud, overall the unit feels solid and with good quality. With price in mind you can't go wrong. Only "issue" I had is Wii Scart wouldn't fit because it's awkwardly shaped. Replaced the Scart head with a normal one and all good. Here's some photos:
What do you mean by "you're not meant to use them at same time" Is there some kinda issue? I've been thinking to buy this for my streaming setup. Scart to my monitor and other scart to sync strike, then to capture card.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

It's a passive split output, one that doesn't introduce significant brightness loss doesn't exist. By you're not meant to I meant why would you. If the 50% loss of brightness doesn't bother you though, you're all good.
numbski

Post by numbski »

Atomikorppi wrote:
werk91 wrote:Switch arrived two days ago and I'm very pleased with it :)
What do you mean by "you're not meant to use them at same time" Is there some kinda issue? I've been thinking to buy this for my streaming setup. Scart to my monitor and other scart to sync strike, then to capture card.
*sigh*

Photobucket.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I just re-did my setup.

Unless you need more than 16 Inputs, I would Skip the crosspoints. Bnc connectors are about as much of a PITA as Scart Is.

The Extron MVX Vga switch plus audio is where its at and it has up to 16 inputs. Finabaton suggested it and im glad.

I bought a Extron MVX 128 VGA switch for $60 on Ebay. Mine has 12 inputs and 8 outputs.

Retro console accessories built the cables for it. I bought 12 custom cables for around $25 Each.

Everything works great and i now have 9 consoles hooked up with No scart or Bnc, except for the cable that goes to my CSY2100 thats the only scart cable.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Photos have updated links.
Lux

Post by Lux »

I just received the 6 ports SCART/component switch and I'm having an issue with the SCART side : very low sound with my SCART consoles, except for my Mega Drive which I use with the stereo sound cable from RGC. Do I need to have SCART audio breakout or something ? Note it's hooked to my OSSC, but I plugged the switch to my TV and there was no change. Thanks for any help!
(edited to remove pink hue problem with my SNES because I just needed to move my cable a bit)
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

Does anyone at otaku-games.com ever answer their emails? I've got an order that hasn't had an update since I paid for it on February 1st. Don't mind waiting but a clearer ETA or order status would be appreciated...
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Lux - have you tried the switch next to the rca ports? I dont recall if it has an affect on audio, but it's the only thing I can think of that could possibly have an effect on audio.

Bratwurst - they're pretty terrible at communication. And based on my experience, you've got at least another 3 weeks to wait. :(

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Otaku games respond quickly on their Facebook page, at least that's my experience. Also yes do give the little In/Out switch a go, although the switch just passes through audio without modifications to the signal...
Lux

Post by Lux »

OK, I deleted my previous posts because I finally found what was causing my problem. Turns out I have the SCART + component switch, and you're not supposed to have all plugged in at the same time. I read people saying this here and there but didn't really understand what it meant. Thing is, if you have a SCART cable and component cables on the same input, the sound will not work with SCART because of the white/red audio cables. Unplug them and it works.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Lux wrote:OK, I deleted my previous posts because I finally found what was causing my problem. Turns out I have the SCART + component switch, and you're not supposed to have all plugged in at the same time. I read people saying this here and there but didn't really understand what it meant. Thing is, if you have a SCART cable and component cables on the same input, the sound will not work with SCART because of the white/red audio cables. Unplug them and it works.
Glad you solved it. From my testing, it was video issues being produced with both outputs connected, although there could have also been audio issues and I just wasn't noticing them because the video caught my attention first. Interefence in the signal, and a noteable reduction in gain.
Lux

Post by Lux »

There are video issues too, I noticed this after. Like my PS2 on component is darker when a SCART cable is plugged in. But I'm not sure I can call this "issues", since the switch is working well in my view, it's just not meant to have SCART+component plugged in at the same time.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

https://youtu.be/DlBlUnHQZt4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
DJ Kevgeez

Post by DJ Kevgeez »

Guspaz wrote:
billcosbymon wrote:Definitely much more affordable. I don't get why the gscartsw costs waaay too much.
That's a powered automatic switcher with a focus on quality and other features like acting as a distribution amplifier (powered splitter), sync stripper, sync separator, etc. This is a mostly unpowered manual switch with as yet unknown quality with no such extra features. They're not comparable.
They arent comparable as in its not even on the same level?

I want the best one
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

^For pure video/audio quality, there is no noticeable difference between direct-connecting and going through this switch. This has been documented by retrorgb and others.

If you're looking for the other features, then no, this manual switch will not give you anything other than manual 6-port switching to a single output.
Lux

Post by Lux »

Bratwurst wrote:Does anyone at otaku-games.com ever answer their emails? I've got an order that hasn't had an update since I paid for it on February 1st. Don't mind waiting but a clearer ETA or order status would be appreciated...
My second switch order just shipped this week, FYI. One month after ordering.
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

Yep, I got an email confirmation of shipment yesterday. Just an unfortunate alignment of Chinese new year, but it doesn't excuse the poor communication.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

So, here's an additional use case for the AO 6-port switch. I just picked up Namco NPC-103 gun from the thrift store - $1.50 out the door. :D My ps1 doesn't have the rca's, only the a/v port. I dont' have the adapter for the composite inline connector from the gun, and without it plugged in, it won't work for Point Blank 2. I'm running PS1 scart through my AO 6-port switch, to a Trinitron. On a hunch, I tried plugging the inline connector into the RCA sync port of the AO switch, and the gun is now working!
Spoiler
Listai

Post by Listai »

I just thought I'd add to the topic that I picked up their 6 port SCART switch late last year. It worked like a charm until recently when it stopped accepting my N64 sync on luma signal. I got new cables, a new PSU, shipped it to my modder for a check. I was also able to borrow a SCART to BNC break out and plug it directly to my monitor and the switch is the culprit.

I've opened a return case with them and haven't heard back for two weeks, I was going to follow up with the YPbPr version but if they're just going to give me the silent treatement after six months I'll just start saving for a gscart and gcomp.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

If our assumptions in the other thread are correct, they don't make the switches, just resell them from Ali Express, so I wouldn't hold your breath.
Listai

Post by Listai »

I actually heard back - they asked me to “ship it to the address on the box” for a refund. I recycled that six months ago so I followed up asking for an address. I’ll post my experiences here if it goes any further.

That said if it has to go to Hong Kong it may be cheaper just to cut my losses.
MiteWiseacre

Post by MiteWiseacre »

I tried to map out the pins on the switches and failed miserably, anyone know how the pins on the switches relate to the scart connections?
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Is the general consensus now to buy these on AliExpress? Is there a EU redistributor?
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

I have questions about the version of this switch that has 6 Scart and 6 RCA inputs. I watched RetroRGB's video, and I'm confused about how it works. He said you have to choose which one you want to use. You can't plug in two inputs at the same time for Scart and Component. Can someone explain it better, please?

https://youtu.be/QiivayiBroc?t=298
Lux

Post by Lux »

It's basically what you just said. There's 12 ports total but only 6 can really be in use at the same time. Like I wrote earlier in this thread, if you plug both RCA and SCART on "RCA 1" and "SCART 1", you will have signal issues. What you have to do is plug your SCART cable on "SCART 1" and your RCA cables on "RCA 2" for example.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

Lux wrote:It's basically what you just said. There's 12 ports total but only 6 can really be in use at the same time. Like I wrote earlier in this thread, if you plug both RCA and SCART on "RCA 1" and "SCART 1", you will have signal issues. What you have to do is plug your SCART cable on "SCART 1" and your RCA cables on "RCA 2" for example.
So if I have 2 component consoles (GameCube and PS2) and 3 Scart consoles (NES, SNES, and N64), I can't plug all of them in at the same time?