dell 2405 fpw good for shmups or not?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thechop

Post by thechop »

looking to get a tate able screen to play dc and saturn and probably other gaming consoles anyone got any plus's or minuses for this lcd tft 24 incher it would be most appreciated (pics would be great )i know michaelm did a great post and was really helpful just looking for a wider opinion fore taking the plunge .cheers
Tychom

Post by Tychom »

Does the 2405FP rotate the right way to be of use with any consoles as a tateable monitor?

The only images I've seen of it rotated (such as being used with MAME/DDP here and pics on images.google) show it rotating clockwise & not counter - not much use outside of perhaps some PCBs and emulators with fancy screen settings.
Japanese game name database (lottsa shmups!!!)
thechop

Post by thechop »

see what you mean saw a pic of ikaruga in vga tate mode and the monitor had to be rotated counter clockwise as the buttons were top right .also saw a pic of shikigami no shiro 2 on dc but this was clockwise as buttons were bottom left....strange eh i think the stand which comes with the 2405 only does clockwise unless any one knows any different.all i know is a wall mounted arm to rotate 360 ,your looking at a fair wedge 180 at least.ouch
undamned

Post by undamned »

Just turn your DC upside down.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
thechop

Post by thechop »

ha ha never thought of that !
elvis

Post by elvis »

Here's a review of that monitor by the author of MAME32:
http://www.classicgaming.com/mame32qa/d ... roller.htm

He seems pretty happy with it. :)
Tychom wrote:Does the 2405FP rotate the right way to be of use with any consoles as a tateable monitor?
Yes, it rotates phyiscally 90 degrees to do vertical orientation. Again, see the review above.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

No, the monitor's base does not rotate the right way for most TATE console applications, but it can be removed from the stand (and the VESA connector that attaches the monitor to the base is standardized.) A few games support rotating in either direction (Psyvariar 2 for DC is one, not sure of others) and so does MAME.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
elvis

Post by elvis »

My bad. I thought it rotated either way, but it doesn't.