modding my tv, to resize the picture with rotary pots!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
D

modding my tv, to resize the picture with rotary pots!

Post by D »

Based on this thread:http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5193

I recently opened up my rgb tv and adjusted/resized the picture.
Still, speaking of Saturn games, almost all games have different resolutions
Battle Garegga
Strikers 1945
Sonic Wings Special, etc

Wouln'ti t be cool to have a wired remote with rotary potentio meter knobs? with which I can adjust the picture without having to open up the tv everytime I play another game and I want the picture to be maximised.

Can It be done? Can I just solder the points on the pots and rewire them to another pot?

Has it ever been attempted?
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

My TV's not that great, and I've had no reason to do such a thing. Supposing you wanted to approach this, I would say that the easiest thing to do in this case would be to acquire potentiometers of the same value (with knobs attached), de-solder your old pots, drill some holes (in a SAFE spot hehe), and mount your external pots. Otherwise, if you're going for the IR remote / receiver method, you're looking at a lot of time. :) NOTE: I'm sure you know this, but be careful inside your TV. Some seriously lethal voltages inside there.
dpful

Post by dpful »

Go for it.
That part off the TV (the pots) probably run on 5 or 12 volts. Other parts run on thousands, particularly the red wire and what it connects to (the suction cup on the tube, and the transformer at the other end) so don't kill yourself. And remember 2 things- the higher the voltage, the farther it can travel through the air, and, TV's still hold a charge while their off. (I got badly shocked once and it had to be from at least 3/4 inch away- it was from and poorly shielded wire from a turned on monitor). Just replace with same value pots. (or use the same pots with extended wires).
I like to call that 'mechanical electronics'.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

if this project comes to fruition, please post some pics. it sounds like a very cool idea, and i'd like to see the results. :)

good luck on the not dying! ^_~
I have no sig whatsoever.