Bandridge SVB7725 SCART Switch used as SCART SPLITTER?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DatPhosphorGlow

Bandridge SVB7725 SCART Switch used as SCART SPLITTER?

Post by DatPhosphorGlow »

Since the Bandridge SVB7725 5 Way Scart Switch is a non powered manual switch, can I reverse the inputs and output to use it as a manual output selector?

Basically I'd put an INPUT signal into the OUTPUT socket, and my outputs cables into the INPUT sockets, and select the output I require with the front of the switch?

I don't mind doing minor modifications to the inside of the switch if necessary.

Cheers,
eccoboy

Re: Bandridge SVB7725 SCART Switch used as SCART SPLITTER?

Post by eccoboy »

I have the same question. I assume any non powered, basic mechanical scart switch can be reversed to be used as a splitter to switch one input between 2 or more TVs. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work but maybe someone can confirm before I start testing.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

I've tried this before and while it does work prepare yourself for plenty of noise and video artifacts...
eccoboy

Post by eccoboy »

Any idea why? I suppose I should have just tried this myself since I already have a SCART switch..
syboxez

Post by syboxez »

No you cannot. While it may work, you are putting extra load on the console that it is not expecting. Therefore, doing this could kill the console or the display/scaler you are hooking it into. Even if it doesn't break anything, you will likely get a darker picture with a ton of interference due to the extra load.

What you need is an RGB distribution amplifier or a matrix switch like an Extron Crosspoint (which has the distribution amp built in).
eccoboy

Post by eccoboy »

syboxez wrote:No you cannot. While it may work, you are putting extra load on the console that it is not expecting. Therefore, doing this could kill the console or the display/scaler you are hooking it into. Even if it doesn't break anything, you will likely get a darker picture with a ton of interference due to the extra load.

What you need is an RGB distribution amplifier or a matrix switch like an Extron Crosspoint (which has the distribution amp built in).
I think a distribution amp would be needed if outputting to 2 video monitors (split signal) at the same time, but not when switching between 2 TVs (only one powered on and only one receiving a signal). Eventually I'll spend the 5 minutes it will take to test this.
syboxez

Post by syboxez »

eccoboy wrote:I think a distribution amp would be needed if outputting to 2 video monitors (split signal) at the same time, but not when switching between 2 TVs (only one powered on and only one receiving a signal). Eventually I'll spend the 5 minutes it will take to test this.
If the signals are completely disconnected on the inactive display outputs and only one display had a physical connection at any given time, then it will work fine with no issues.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

syboxez wrote:If the signals are completely disconnected on the inactive display outputs and only one display had a physical connection at any given time, then it will work fine with no issues.
I can't imagine how else it could be setup on a passive switch. If it wasn't so, all consoles would contribute to the output when you use the device as intended.
sqturn2k

Post by sqturn2k »

Any news ? I'm very interested in this :mrgreen:

Edit : tested with an old manual scart switcher I had (noname) it don't work the other way... :(
(It does work normally, so it's not the switch).
eccoboy

Post by eccoboy »

I planned on testing the Bandridge SVB7725 as a splitter but while testing some new speakers recently, I discovered that the left channel audio output (RCA connection) of the Bandridge becomes overdriven (distorted) if a scart cable is connected to the Bandridge scart output and a TV is not powered on at the other end. Turning the TV on or disconnecting the scart from the Bandridge output resolves the problem.

I tested with different consoles/cables/speakers/configurations so I'm confident that the problem is with the Bandridge. However I don't have a way to extract audio without using the Bandridge so I didn't test further. This could be a general scart problem and not the Bandridge's fault. Don't know. I might try something else later, out of curiosity (I don't have any need for audio without the TV on).

Anyway, I don't want to mess with the scart switcher anymore so I didn't test it as a splitter. If any scart experts could explain the overdriven audio situation I would be appreciative.