Naomi and Low Res monitors

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Acid King

Naomi and Low Res monitors

Post by Acid King »

I really want to get a naomi kit for Ikaruga, border down and psyvariar 2 but I only have a dual res monitor. My question is this; how bad does the naomi look in low res? Is it about the same as running a dreamcast on a standard television? Better? Worse? Also, how complicated is it to set up a naomi in a Jamma cab? I don't have a lot of electronics experience so i'm a bit worried it would be out of my reach, or i'd wind up blowing up my cab.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Valgar

Re: Naomi and Low Res monitors

Post by Valgar »

It will look great in low res RGB. High Res is going to look even better, being sharper/more detailed at a higher resolution of course.

http://www.sega-naomi.com/ - All your NAOMI needs.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
COWBOY-RJJ
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Thanks for the link, answers a lot of my questions. Now i'm mostly worried about having to put in a new power supply and getting what I have to do with the wiring and shit sorted out before I drop the cash next month.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
stellarola

Post by stellarola »

You know I have a buddy who just sold his Naomi kit because he had the same games on the dreamcast. He said there was no difference in the games. I mean to the hardcore you might see a few more enemys here and there, but it's 99% accurate to the Naomi version. But yea, running Ikaruga in Hi-res is incredible. I Wouldnt say its worth a brand new monitor, but its great to flip a vga monitor on it's side and play for hours :D

-Ben
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

stellarola wrote:You know I have a buddy who just sold his Naomi kit because he had the same games on the dreamcast. He said there was no difference in the games. I mean to the hardcore you might see a few more enemys here and there, but it's 99% accurate to the Naomi version. But yea, running Ikaruga in Hi-res is incredible. I Wouldnt say its worth a brand new monitor, but its great to flip a vga monitor on it's side and play for hours :D

-Ben
Ben makes some good points. If you are concerned about money, you may want to think about just putting a Dreamcast in your cabinet. Dave K. is the master at that.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
COWBOY-RJJ
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Yes I highly recommend dreamcast as a much cheaper alternative. If you want to keep your cab jamma, then look into the MGCD for dreamcast (Cosmicco has them).
zakk

Post by zakk »

Just a quick note related to this. If you go the route of doing it yourself, there's an alternative to the typical hacking of a VGA box.

This one:
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?catego ... ucts_id=82&

It has a 3-way switch for vga/s-video. One side is VGA, the other is s-video. But the vaguely unlabelled middle position? 15khz RGB out of the VGA plug.
Not that cutting a single wire is difficult on any other VGA box, but why do that when you can use this.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm going to hold off on it until I have the money and space for a second cab I can use just for Naomi, or possibly pick the stuff up and just hold on to it til then. Til then I'm just going to leave it alone and stick strictly to jamma stuff.