CPS2 digital AV interface

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
xterc

Re: CPS2 digital AV interface

Post by xterc »

I have a question regarding how to hand-solder the ground (41) underneath the FPGA. I placed solder in the hole exposed underneath the board, but I've a feeling this isn't how you are supposed to do it (see picture above).

I've a feeling this board isn't going to work due to my soldering skills, but it has been an education nonetheless.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

You should be able to get solder to flow down that large hole.

I'm not sure what tools you have, but I normally put solder paste on. Set the chip down and tack a few legs. And then use hot air or iron on the bottom side.
marqs

Post by marqs »

mikejmoffitt wrote:The main issue is for HDMI audio you have digital audio as well as analogue audio coming from the YM2610. It would maybe be easier to just reimplement the SSG portion of that chip in HDL and tap the bus, to avoid having to do ADC.
From a quick glance that'd require tapping quite many pins. A separate Neo-Geo specific daughterboard which would combine and encode audio into I2S could do the job until/unless someone forks/creates a dedicated Neo-Geo digital AV mod.
marqs

Post by marqs »

xterc wrote:I have a question regarding how to hand-solder the ground (41) underneath the FPGA. I placed solder in the hole exposed underneath the board, but I've a feeling this isn't how you are supposed to do it (see picture above).

I've a feeling this board isn't going to work due to my soldering skills, but it has been an education nonetheless.
Getting a good connection on the bottom pad is hard as its underneath area is part of a big ground plane, but it's crucial as without it the FPGA doesn't work reliably or at all.
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

Any update on the revised board?
marqs

Post by marqs »

cr4zymanz0r wrote:Any update on the revised board?
Schematic was finished a few weeks ago, now I just have to complete the layout. There's also been a different ideas to help installation, one suggested by DewmanSNK on the previous page and one with a helper PCB around M5M RAM chips.
marqs

Post by marqs »

The PCB design is almost finished now. I took a couple mockup pictures to demonstrate the planned mounting method. It involves soldering a pair of HLE-105-02-G-DV-PE passthru sockets on top of M5M chips, and a pair of HLE-105-02-G-DV-PE-LCs on matching position on top of scanconverter PCB (which has cutouts for bottom sockets).That should provide easily detachable yet reliable installation method for the mod.
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

marqs

Post by marqs »

The PCBs have arrived, more images below to illustrate the installation method.

HLE-105-02-G-DV-PE sockets soldered on top of M5Ms:
Spoiler
PCB lies in level with the mainboard:
Spoiler
Picture from top:
Spoiler
Picture from top, another set of HLE-105-02-G-DV-PEs (or HLE-105-02-G-DV-PE-LCs) and HDMI connector placed on PCB:
Spoiler
HDMI connector on the same level as mounting tab next to it:
Spoiler
Required cutout for CPS2 plastic case:
Spoiler
Case closed:
Spoiler
Rest of the components should arrive next week after which testing can begin. Unfortunately ADV7513 is no more available from trusted suppliers (technically it's on Mouser's and Digikey's inventory, but former requires you to be a HDMI licensee and latter has large minimum order quantity), so one needs to resort to other sources with that.
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

I want one of these soooo bad.
GGPO_Halfro

Post by GGPO_Halfro »

/\ Same, if possible, I would like to purchase one as well when the new revision is complete :)
marqs

Post by marqs »

I've been playing with the new prototype for a while and so far it's been working well. With 40 line buffers (40 out of 66 M9Ks) reserved for coping with line count differences of source and output modes, the board is now able to output "normalized" 1080p at 59.64Hz :) .
xterc

Post by xterc »

Sounds awesome. Will the new firmware work on the original board?
marqs

Post by marqs »

xterc wrote:Sounds awesome. Will the new firmware work on the original board?
No, it's specific for the new board. Some features might be back-portable but considering the limited number of original boards in use, it's probably not worth the effort.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Great engineering and work marq's. Install method looks perfect.
The Spaniard

Post by The Spaniard »

I can see why you made the board stick out to the side for the HDMI port but I would have preferred to have run the HDMI cable out one of the round plug holes rather than having to cut the case up to fit it.

Any chance of a revision where this wont be necessary?

Nonetheless I still think this is great mod, what will the price be on one of these?
undamned

Post by undamned »

The Spaniard wrote:I can see why you made the board stick out to the side for the HDMI port but I would have preferred to have run the HDMI cable out one of the round plug holes rather than having to cut the case up to fit it.

Nonetheless I still think this is great mod, what will the price be on one of these?
This board gets installed in the A (system) board. Only the B (game) board has the round hole plugs.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
The Spaniard

Post by The Spaniard »

undamned wrote:
The Spaniard wrote:I can see why you made the board stick out to the side for the HDMI port but I would have preferred to have run the HDMI cable out one of the round plug holes rather than having to cut the case up to fit it.

This board gets installed in the A (system) board. Only the B (game) board has the round hole plugs.
-ud
Haha ok my bad. Had my mind thinking of the B board and installing the multi so didnt even think about it being installed on the A board.
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

Are there any plans for anyone to sell these pre-assembled? I'm awaiting the 'release' of it, but I'm skeptical that I could solder in the FPGA.
undamned

Post by undamned »

cr4zymanz0r wrote:Are there any plans for anyone to sell these pre-assembled? I'm awaiting the 'release' of it, but I'm skeptical that I could solder in the FPGA.
I intend to (targeting late this year/early next year).
-ud
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Are there any plans for anyone to sell these pre-assembled? I'm awaiting the 'release' of it, but I'm skeptical that I could solder in the FPGA.
Yeah we're working on it at the moment too, just waiting on some quotes.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
marqs

Post by marqs »

So far there's been an interested seller in US, EU and Japan each, so I'd say we're well covered here.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Would it make sense to include a display rotation feature here?
undamned

Post by undamned »

shmupsrocks wrote:Would it make sense to include a display rotation feature here?
That requires a frame buffer, which the current implementation does not have. If it were implemented, it would add at least 1 frame of lag.
-ud
KingSopz

Post by KingSopz »

Hello everyone im new here.

Anyone know when this wonderful product will be released?
marqs

Post by marqs »

undamned wrote:
shmupsrocks wrote:Would it make sense to include a display rotation feature here?
That requires a frame buffer, which the current implementation does not have. If it were implemented, it would add at least 1 frame of lag.
-ud
Yes, adding frame buffer would require a dedicated RAM chip and FPGA with more IO pins (basically a BGA which would be an annoyance for DIY builders).
KingSopz wrote:Anyone know when this wonderful product will be released?
10CL025YE144C8G FPGAs are currently sold out everywhere and new stock is assumed to arrive around Dec/Jan. By that time the HW should be final (is almost already) and then it could be put into manufacturing.

Below are a couple pics of CPS3 installation I did a couple days ago. Aside from a minor yet unresolved audio quality issue, the board seems to work very well with that.

lilralphie

Post by lilralphie »

Looks awesome!
Flain

Post by Flain »

Add me to the list of someone who wants to buy one. Even better would be if someone wants to sell an A board pre-soldered i'll pony up the price for everything + a premium to make it worth while
mtn360

Post by mtn360 »

I got the mod done to my CPS2 a couple of months ago by zeruel85 and I'm super happy with it!

Time to get my second CPS3 motherboard fixed and get this done as well :mrgreen:
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

We were all ready to go with DIY kits and installs to follow shortly after, but those darn 10CL025YE144C8G FPGAs are just out of stock everywhere.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page