shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:50 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: CPS2 digital AV interface
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:12 am 

I am looking at the CPS1 adapter install and it is unclear what part to use as the "U-shaped 2x5 headers". The linked part in the BOM are just straight 2.54mm pitch headers (digikey part 1212-1145-ND). If I am not mistaken by looking at the install picture in the doc, the pins to the male headers soldered to the M5M RAM chips are bent at the bottom to fit over the RAM chip. Just trying the fit of the adapter over the CPS1 A board, I get the same impression. I am unable to find such a part though.

Edit: it's getting late, and I'm tired... it just dawned on me that this may very well be the same part as is required for the installation on CPS2, TSM-105-01-F-DV, digikey part SAM12227-ND

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:54 am 

Well,figured out what my dumb ass was doing wrong. Looking at the pics on github, I thought the C1 connection was going to one of the legs of the 16mhz osc. For anyone else whose ADD tends to get the better of their attention to detail: C1 connection is sourced from FB37 (in my case...seeing above that FB36 is the best source on that particular revision).

In the meantime, prior to figuring out my error, I had ordered some same-day-delivery RG-174 and replaced my 75ohm coax with good good RG-174. Once I fixed the wrong soldered source for C1 (and possibly also fixed with a better coax solution), it fired right up...and quite beautifully I might add.

Some good CPS2 Digi AV pr0n for all of you that are into that sort of thing:

https://youtu.be/tYYJYtONo9g

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:32 pm 

becker wrote:
I am interested in trying the CPS1 branch of the project. I was looking into how to hook it up. I am confused about the audio. It appears that two I2S bus are going to the same pins of the FPGA. I have looked at the schematic, pictures, and Quartus pinout. Does audio really work if WS and BCK are tied together from the YM-2151 and the WM8782?
YM2151 uses a custom serial audio interface which is not I2S but can be similarly output using 3 lines to FPGA. WM8782 ADC operates as I2S slave, so it needs BCK (level-shifted YM2151 serial clock), WS (generated from SH1 using 74LVC112) and MCLK (128x WS, extracted from oCM). It then outputs I2S data which is wired to FPGA vsync pin which would be otherwise unused in cps1 branch. MSM6295 support is a bit hacky as cps1 had not been considered while the main board was designed, but it works without issues from what I've heard (my cps1 set unfortunately uses just YM2151). Please also note that there will be a new cps1_adapter design very soon that enables better install position.
qcretro wrote:
I am looking at the CPS1 adapter install and it is unclear what part to use as the "U-shaped 2x5 headers". The linked part in the BOM are just straight 2.54mm pitch headers (digikey part 1212-1145-ND). If I am not mistaken by looking at the install picture in the doc, the pins to the male headers soldered to the M5M RAM chips are bent at the bottom to fit over the RAM chip. Just trying the fit of the adapter over the CPS1 A board, I get the same impression. I am unable to find such a part though.
Those headers are special and not found from Mouser, Digikey or Aliexpress. You should contact BuckoA51 or undamned to get those.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:59 pm 

I just installed the board on a Carrier Air Wing CPS1 with the new adapter board that marqs uploaded to OSHPark and it looks great! Also, BuckoA51 has added the needed header for the installation to the VideoGamePerfection store (thanks!). EDIT: Just hooked up the audio part too and it works just as good!

The only issue I had during the installation was that I used the spacers of the male-male pin connector (disregarding the Github instructions) and of course it ended up being too tall to fit between the A and B boards. Desoldering the pins without a desoldering gun was a pain, so watch out!

Image Image

Image Image

Last edited by hugo19941994 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:00 am 

There a few minor updates on the instructions related to the new adapter which I just pushed on github. I was waiting to receive mine to verify it first, but it seems some people have already got and installed one :D.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7