CPS2 digital AV interface

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
qcretro

Re: CPS2 digital AV interface

Post by qcretro »

I am looking at the CPS1 adapter install and it is unclear what part to use as the "U-shaped 2x5 headers". The linked part in the BOM are just straight 2.54mm pitch headers (digikey part 1212-1145-ND). If I am not mistaken by looking at the install picture in the doc, the pins to the male headers soldered to the M5M RAM chips are bent at the bottom to fit over the RAM chip. Just trying the fit of the adapter over the CPS1 A board, I get the same impression. I am unable to find such a part though.

Edit: it's getting late, and I'm tired... it just dawned on me that this may very well be the same part as is required for the installation on CPS2, TSM-105-01-F-DV, digikey part SAM12227-ND
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Well,figured out what my dumb ass was doing wrong. Looking at the pics on github, I thought the C1 connection was going to one of the legs of the 16mhz osc. For anyone else whose ADD tends to get the better of their attention to detail: C1 connection is sourced from FB37 (in my case...seeing above that FB36 is the best source on that particular revision).

In the meantime, prior to figuring out my error, I had ordered some same-day-delivery RG-174 and replaced my 75ohm coax with good good RG-174. Once I fixed the wrong soldered source for C1 (and possibly also fixed with a better coax solution), it fired right up...and quite beautifully I might add.

Some good CPS2 Digi AV pr0n for all of you that are into that sort of thing:

https://youtu.be/tYYJYtONo9g
marqs

Post by marqs »

becker wrote:I am interested in trying the CPS1 branch of the project. I was looking into how to hook it up. I am confused about the audio. It appears that two I2S bus are going to the same pins of the FPGA. I have looked at the schematic, pictures, and Quartus pinout. Does audio really work if WS and BCK are tied together from the YM-2151 and the WM8782?
YM2151 uses a custom serial audio interface which is not I2S but can be similarly output using 3 lines to FPGA. WM8782 ADC operates as I2S slave, so it needs BCK (level-shifted YM2151 serial clock), WS (generated from SH1 using 74LVC112) and MCLK (128x WS, extracted from oCM). It then outputs I2S data which is wired to FPGA vsync pin which would be otherwise unused in cps1 branch. MSM6295 support is a bit hacky as cps1 had not been considered while the main board was designed, but it works without issues from what I've heard (my cps1 set unfortunately uses just YM2151). Please also note that there will be a new cps1_adapter design very soon that enables better install position.
qcretro wrote:I am looking at the CPS1 adapter install and it is unclear what part to use as the "U-shaped 2x5 headers". The linked part in the BOM are just straight 2.54mm pitch headers (digikey part 1212-1145-ND). If I am not mistaken by looking at the install picture in the doc, the pins to the male headers soldered to the M5M RAM chips are bent at the bottom to fit over the RAM chip. Just trying the fit of the adapter over the CPS1 A board, I get the same impression. I am unable to find such a part though.
Those headers are special and not found from Mouser, Digikey or Aliexpress. You should contact BuckoA51 or undamned to get those.
hugo19941994

Post by hugo19941994 »

I just installed the board on a Carrier Air Wing CPS1 with the new adapter board that marqs uploaded to OSHPark and it looks great! Also, BuckoA51 has added the needed header for the installation to the VideoGamePerfection store (thanks!). EDIT: Just hooked up the audio part too and it works just as good!

The only issue I had during the installation was that I used the spacers of the male-male pin connector (disregarding the Github instructions) and of course it ended up being too tall to fit between the A and B boards. Desoldering the pins without a desoldering gun was a pain, so watch out!

Image Image

Image Image

Last edited by hugo19941994 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marqs

Post by marqs »

There a few minor updates on the instructions related to the new adapter which I just pushed on github. I was waiting to receive mine to verify it first, but it seems some people have already got and installed one :D.
cruzlink2

Post by cruzlink2 »

Redid a cps1 install I had done for retrorgb with the new adapter board, also flashed the firmware and added buttons.
https://imgur.com/gallery/MBDmojQ
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Just fit my kit to a v4, then refit to a v7.

The v4 has blue ferrite beads that are just short enough that the board can sit level when fit.
v7 boards have taller orange ferrite beads and there is one under the modboard that requires moving to the underside of the mobo or replacement.

Also the mounting system for the board is a bit meh, You can wiggle a HDMI plug in the socket and eventually move the modboard off its pin headers.
The hole in the modboard is great for locating but the board itself can move up and down the standoff enough to break connection.

I filed mine so it pops in and is held down firm but still could be an issue after awhile. Makes me wonder how much movement some of the other cutouts ive seen have IRL.
Kind of wanted to solder 1 pin to keep the back end sitting firmly down, attempted the rear left one but gave up, will probably shave the plastic back a little and solder it properly.

These must be able to wiggle loose??
marqs

Post by marqs »

Syntax wrote:Just fit my kit to a v4, then refit to a v7.Also the mounting system for the board is a bit meh, You can wiggle a HDMI plug in the socket and eventually move the modboard off its pin headers.
The hole in the modboard is great for locating but the board itself can move up and down the standoff enough to break connection.
One option to prevent the mod board moving vertically is to exchange one of the sockets with shorter one (HLE-105-02-G-DV-PE) and then bending 2 opposite pins outwards. The downside then is that one has to be careful with opening CPS2 case once the board is installed as there are tabs between top and bottom case which prevents just lifting the top straight up (unless those tabs are cut off).
Epyc

Post by Epyc »

Any chance we'll see other resolution options for this board?
marqs

Post by marqs »

Epyc wrote:Any chance we'll see other resolution options for this board?
Yes, the they are on TODO list. Basically the prequisites (like OSD and clock generator driver) are already done on my other projects but just need to be integrated on cps2_digiav. The resolution options should include CRT-friendly 240p and 480p, 1280×720, 1280×960, 1920×1080, 1920×1200 and 1920×1440.
dannahan

Post by dannahan »

Hi Marqs, I just purchased your cps2 digital av. Excuse my ignorance, but how do you update the firmware by any chance?
marqs

Post by marqs »

dannahan wrote:Hi Marqs, I just purchased your cps2 digital av. Excuse my ignorance, but how do you update the firmware by any chance?
Firmware is updated with USB Blaster and it can be done easily after the board has been installed. The latest release fw is still from last summer, though. I have a development version which now allows switching between different output resolutions but it needs some polish before release.
Arthrimus

Post by Arthrimus »

marqs wrote:
dannahan wrote:Hi Marqs, I just purchased your cps2 digital av. Excuse my ignorance, but how do you update the firmware by any chance?
Firmware is updated with USB Blaster and it can be done easily after the board has been installed. The latest release fw is still from last summer, though. I have a development version which now allows switching between different output resolutions but it needs some polish before release.
Any chance of some of the new features being backported to the original Digital AV hardware?
plus ça change,
plus c'est la même chose,
The more that things change,
The more they stay the same.- RUSH- Circumstances

I install and sell mods at arthrimus.com | SNES RGB Bypass+Dejitter available now! | Watch me live stream my work on YouTube
marqs

Post by marqs »

Arthrimus wrote:Any chance of some of the new features being backported to the original Digital AV hardware?
Most of the new features take advantage of the hardware added on 2.x PCB and the code has been restructured significantly so unfortunately it's not worthwhile to backport individual features to rev1 board.
Arthrimus

Post by Arthrimus »

marqs wrote:
Arthrimus wrote:Any chance of some of the new features being backported to the original Digital AV hardware?
Most of the new features take advantage of the hardware added on 2.x PCB and the code has been restructured significantly so unfortunately it's not worthwhile to backport individual features to rev1 board.
Understood. One other question though, is there any chance of adding a DVI tx mode to both versions. Some (maybe all?) Vewlix LCDs don't play nice with the HDMI mode that it uses and will not sync to it. This is a real shame for Vewlix owners who want to use the CPS2 without some sort of analog scaler involved. The same problem arises with the OSSC unless you switch the DVI tx mode.
plus ça change,
plus c'est la même chose,
The more that things change,
The more they stay the same.- RUSH- Circumstances

I install and sell mods at arthrimus.com | SNES RGB Bypass+Dejitter available now! | Watch me live stream my work on YouTube
marqs

Post by marqs »

Arthrimus wrote:
marqs wrote:
Understood. One other question though, is there any chance of adding a DVI tx mode to both versions. Some (maybe all?) Vewlix LCDs don't play nice with the HDMI mode that it uses and will not sync to it. This is a real shame for Vewlix owners who want to use the CPS2 without some sort of analog scaler involved. The same problem arises with the OSSC unless you switch the DVI tx mode.
I suppose that could be implemented on Rev1 so that holding down a button while power-on would put it on DVI mode. Rev2 will eventually have a menu one can navigate so that would be the place there to select between different TX modes such as HDMI (RGB Full), HDMI (RGB Limited), HDMI (YCbCr444) and DVI.

Speaking of output modes, I uploaded a new Rev2 firmware on the repo yesterday which now allows testing different resolutions with vol-/+ keys:

240p_CRT (for 15kHz CRTs and capture)
480p_CRT (for 31kHz CRTs)
720p (CEA)
1080p (CEA, vertical 4x)
1080p (CEA, vertical 5x) [default]
1920x1200 (CVT-RB)
1920x1440 (CVT-RB)
hugo19941994

Post by hugo19941994 »

Thanks for the new fw marqs! I just flashed it and the top and bottom borders are no longer being cut with the 1920x1200 & 1920x1440 resolutions :D
dannahan

Post by dannahan »

marqs wrote:
Apologies for my lack of knowledge, but how does one update with the USB Blaster?
Epyc

Post by Epyc »

dannahan wrote:
marqs wrote:
Apologies for my lack of knowledge, but how does one update with the USB Blaster?
I just purchased a USB Blaster and it'll be here in a week or so. I am also looking for steps on how to update the firmware. Any tips/hints would be helpful. Thanks!
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Use intel quartus software. Make sure its a version that supports cyclone 10. Ossc jtag programming instructions should serve as a good reference.

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... C_via_JTAG

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Last edited by NoAffinity on Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
marqs

Post by marqs »

For non-developers it should be enough to download and install Quartus Prime Programmer and Tools.
qcretro

Post by qcretro »

Hey, I've got a couple of questions regarding CPS1 install. I installed on a "short" dash, 89626A board, and realized that it is not listed as supported on the github page, but also it seems
hugo19941994 was able to get it working on that same board. My install isn't working at the moment, so I am try to diagnose where the problem is. I am able to access the FPGA through JTAG, and the 5V and 3.3V lines are fine. There are signals coming in to the board, just nothing being output from the Cyclone FPGA to the ADV7513 chip. From there, only one of the 2 diode arrays to the HDMI has signals.

- Do I need to flash the firmware from the CPS1 branch, or the latest master branch firmware from last week works with CPS1?

- Is the board indeed compatible with 12MHz "Dash" boards?

- I have the earlier v1.0 CPS1 adapter board, is this the cause of my problem? Should I get the latest revision for use with the short CPS1 A board?

Thanks a bunch!
Epyc

Post by Epyc »

NoAffinity wrote:Use intel quartus software. Make sure its a version that supports cyclone 10. Ossc jtag programming instructions should serve as a good reference.

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... C_via_JTAG

Thanks for the instructions! This worked great, especially the tip with installing the drivers manually through device manager.
marqs wrote:For non-developers it should be enough to download and install Quartus Prime Programmer and Tools.
Thanks @marqs! This worked for me: "QuartusProgrammerSetup-19.1.0.670-windows.exe". Thank you for your work on the CPS2 digiAV board and your other awesome projects. You're truly the MVP. 8)
qcretro wrote:Hey, I've got a couple of questions regarding CPS1 install. I installed on a "short" dash, 89626A board, and realized that it is not listed as supported on the github page, but also it seems
hugo19941994 was able to get it working on that same board. My install isn't working at the moment, so I am try to diagnose where the problem is. I am able to access the FPGA through JTAG, and the 5V and 3.3V lines are fine. There are signals coming in to the board, just nothing being output from the Cyclone FPGA to the ADV7513 chip. From there, only one of the 2 diode arrays to the HDMI has signals.

- Do I need to flash the firmware from the CPS1 branch, or the latest master branch firmware from last week works with CPS1?

- I have the earlier v1.0 CPS1 adapter board, is this the cause of my problem? Should I get the latest revision for use with the short CPS1 A board?

Thanks a bunch!
I also have the 89626A board and I was just able to flash the FPGA. Everything fired up and worked as expected. I will assume it's your CPS1 adapter board as that's the only difference. Or possibly check your hookup points and SMD soldering.
Last edited by Epyc on Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Epyc

Post by Epyc »

Here's my CPS1 adapter board build pictures and video:
https://imgur.com/gallery/zGm8B7i
https://i.imgur.com/frG3T3c.mp4

Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by Epyc on Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
marqs

Post by marqs »

qcretro wrote:- Do I need to flash the firmware from the CPS1 branch, or the latest master branch firmware from last week works with CPS1?

Thanks a bunch!
You need to flash cps1 branch version. It should be compatible with Dash boards as their video clock is same. CPS1 adapter v1.0 is fully functional, it just has different audio gain for M6295.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

I just flashed to the latest firmware, and am getting some miscolored/sparkly pixels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNujsHB42hk

I flashed back to the previous firmware, and no problems.

I am also outputting JAMMA and Digi AV simultaneously, and while the problem exists at the Digi AV output, JAMMA video is normal.

The mode switching seems to be working good, but I'm only cycling through 5 modes, with the volume up button. The last mode I'm able to cycle to appears to be a 480 (judging by how it looks on the TV). Volume down doesn't appear to do anything.

My PCB is CPS2 Digi AV v2.1, green PCB, on a CPS2 A board

Thoughts?
marqs

Post by marqs »

The current firmware is not yet timing-optimized so some boards might have issues on higher output resolutions.
NoAffinity wrote:The mode switching seems to be working good, but I'm only cycling through 5 modes, with the volume up button. The last mode I'm able to cycle to appears to be a 480 (judging by how it looks on the TV). Volume down doesn't appear to do anything.
It sounds like the other volume key is missing connection to the mod board - I assume the key didn't work on previous fw either?
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

marqs wrote:The current firmware is not yet timing-optimized so some boards might have issues on higher output resolutions.
NoAffinity wrote:The mode switching seems to be working good, but I'm only cycling through 5 modes, with the volume up button. The last mode I'm able to cycle to appears to be a 480 (judging by how it looks on the TV). Volume down doesn't appear to do anything.
It sounds like the other volume key is missing connection to the mod board - I assume the key didn't work on previous fw either?
You're right, the volume down key isn't working. :/ Pretty sure it was the last time I was fiddling with screen sizing. Oh well, not the end of the world on that piece...may get around to attempting to fix it eventually.

when do you expect the timings to be optimized? Really looking forward to having the image fit perfectly on the screen. :)
Epyc

Post by Epyc »

NoAffinity wrote:I just flashed to the latest firmware, and am getting some miscolored/sparkly pixels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNujsHB42hk

I flashed back to the previous firmware, and no problems.

I am also outputting JAMMA and Digi AV simultaneously, and while the problem exists at the Digi AV output, JAMMA video is normal.

The mode switching seems to be working good, but I'm only cycling through 5 modes, with the volume up button. The last mode I'm able to cycle to appears to be a 480 (judging by how it looks on the TV). Volume down doesn't appear to do anything.

My PCB is CPS2 Digi AV v2.1, green PCB, on a CPS2 A board

Thoughts?
I had some sparkly pixels also, it went away after a minute or 2 of playing.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

I let it run for a while - at least 20 minutes. The issue remained consistent.