CPS2 digital AV interface

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
marqs

Re: CPS2 digital AV interface

Post by marqs »

Scanline support has been added and firmware images (v0.91) have been generated for all supported systems (cps1-3, toaplan2). The project is more or less complete now. I might be still looking into adding support for Taito F3 some time in future.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Thank you for all the hard work.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
djpweb

Post by djpweb »

Updated today my CPS2, thanks for making it so great !
I was afraid of having only 2 buttons to be a bit tedious but it works well :)
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Any idea when these will come back in stock? Not sure why I waited so long.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Thanks a lot. It works like a charm. :)

A few screenshots (click for full size, the scanline effect doesn't look right otherwise):
Spoiler

marqs wrote:I might be still looking into adding support for Taito F3 some time in future.
That would be lovely! Feel free to let me know in case you need any measurements in advance.
marqs

Post by marqs »

6t8k wrote:
marqs wrote:I might be still looking into adding support for Taito F3 some time in future.
That would be lovely! Feel free to let me know in case you need any measurements in advance.
Thanks. I have a F3 over here, though, so just need to find some time for inspecting the board and deciding optimal placement for the mod. Neo Geo is another multigame system which could be supported, but I don't have one at the moment.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

marqs wrote:Neo Geo is another multigame system which could be supported, but I don't have one at the moment.
I don't have access to a Neo Geo either, unfortunately.
war3zlod3r

Post by war3zlod3r »

Are these still being produced I'm late to the party and would love to get my hands on one! Also have a Neo-Geo MV1C I could contribute to the cause if anyone is interested in messing around with it.
marqs

Post by marqs »

thchardcore wrote:Any idea when these will come back in stock? Not sure why I waited so long.
New stock has just arrived on VGP.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Thank you!
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

I posted a video about this over the weekend. There's good shots of the CPS2 installation, as well as all menu options demo'd, all resolutions demo'd and the firmware update process shown: https://youtu.be/RmJk_JXukdU
parodius

Post by parodius »

Is anyone offering the cps1 adapter board, already populated ?
VGP doesn't it seems.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
dannahan

Post by dannahan »

marqs wrote:Scanline support has been added and firmware images (v0.91) have been generated for all supported systems (cps1-3, toaplan2). The project is more or less complete now. I might be still looking into adding support for Taito F3 some time in future.
GOD BLESS YOU SO MUCH SIR! Perfect! So very PERFECT!!!
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Don't know if this was mentioned already (didn't see it on a quick scour of the thread). I believe I've found a better location for sourcing the requisite clock signal, compared to the solder side of the osillator.

The LS74 of whatever it is (I didn't make a proper note of what the component actually is) at 8S is being fed the needed clock signal on pin 6. Conveniently, pin 7 is grounded. Easier to get to, and don't have to run your coax cable to the opposite side of the board.
Spoiler
I had continued experiencing pixel anomalies at the higher resolutions (1920x1200 and 1920x1440), which I chalked up to TV incompatibility. Those anomelies are now gone, and my 4k TV is displaying both resolutions brilliantly.
parodius

Post by parodius »

Interesting, thanks !
Might come in handy as I have yet to install mine.

Did you reflow the pins 1~5 of the CPS-A-01 ?
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

parodius wrote:Did you reflow the pins 1~5 of the CPS-A-01 ?
Good eye. Pin 4 also gets the clock signal. I was trying to tap there before tracing further to find the suitable points at 8s.

Thankfully I was able to correct the minor damage caused at CPS-a-01. :/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
marqs

Post by marqs »

parodius wrote:Is anyone offering the cps1 adapter board, already populated ?
VGP doesn't it seems.
Not yet. JLCPCB has the parts in their library except for 74LVC112 and the headers so a semi-assembled board could be ordered from there.
NoAffinity wrote:Don't know if this was mentioned already (didn't see it on a quick scour of the thread). I believe I've found a better location for sourcing the requisite clock signal, compared to the solder side of the osillator.

The LS74 of whatever it is (I didn't make a proper note of what the component actually is) at 8S is being fed the needed clock signal on pin 6. Conveniently, pin 7 is grounded. Easier to get to, and don't have to run your coax cable to the opposite side of the board.
The buffered output is indeed more robust place for tapping clock, but it's not as easy to solder and bad installation could damage the PCB.
madrandomize

Post by madrandomize »

Hi to all from Greece!
I purchased a digital av interface for my cps2 board.
The installation went very very well and i was able to get PERFECT image through hdmi.
What works is:
Image through hdmi
Controls
Scanlines
The Image signal is very stable

What Doesn’t work is:
Sound…

Let me explain in depth. I can hear the sound effects and the music but there is a static sound that is very loud on top of those sound effects.

Here is a google link with a video displaying the problem and some installation images.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QP6LFxD8MuybsVYf7

The sync cable i used is RG-174
Also i dont have my cabinet to check if it has sound through the jamma harness but it was working 1 month ago when i tested it on the cabinet.
The mess with the cables is a DB15 consolisation attempt that works well (i tested it on my input menu)
The board also passes all the checks (RAM ROM) and i have the same issue with all the B-Boards i own.

I am eagerly awaiting any input on the problem if you can help, or if you know someone that knows where to ask for more help.
mathewbeall

Post by mathewbeall »

Hi Folks,

I got this installed on a CPS3 board about a week ago - and when I first fired everything up, I had perfect video - but for some reason, no audio at all.

Since I have been troubleshooting this - the problem has gone from kind of working to not at all, and I just retried soldering everyhing from scratch and got the same behaviour.

If C2 and HS are connected - the game won't boot and nothing comes out the JAMMA edge (no signal lock from my OSSC).

If I disconnect only these 2 wires, then everything boots up like normal and I get video/audio like expected out the JAMMA edge.

I also noticed that the HS and C2 pad *appear* to have continuity to GND, even with nothing plugged in, but am not sure if that is expected behaviour.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt
marqs

Post by marqs »

mathewbeall wrote:I also noticed that the HS and C2 pad *appear* to have continuity to GND, even with nothing plugged in, but am not sure if that is expected behaviour.
It is not normal. Either there are solder bridges, or then U9 and U16 have got damaged during rework. On the lack of audio, did you bridge SMD jumpers J3, J5 and J6?
mathewbeall

Post by mathewbeall »

Thanks @marqs - I did have J3, 5 and 6 bridged. I think I know why audio didn't work initially - i believe I had the BCK grounded out.

I just can't quite get back to that state now! I will check around U9 and U16 to see if I have any bridges at all.

Matt
mathewbeall

Post by mathewbeall »

What are U9 and U16? I can also order some of those and replace them.

EDIT - looks like a SN74LVC2G17 per your github.

Which package type is it - DBV or DCK?

Thanks!

Matt
marqs

Post by marqs »

mathewbeall wrote:EDIT - looks like a SN74LVC2G17 per your github.

Which package type is it - DBV or DCK?
DBV package.
mathewbeall

Post by mathewbeall »

Quick update - I replaced U9 and U16 - and now with all the wires hooked up the game boots and works well across the JAMMA edge , but nothing at all out the HDMI.

I can only assume somehow i blew out other components on the board - as I was able to program the chip with the CPS3 firmware.

I am going to get another cps3 board and hook it up - I am guessing it will work fine with a new board.

Matt
marqs

Post by marqs »

mathewbeall wrote:I can only assume somehow i blew out other components on the board - as I was able to program the chip with the CPS3 firmware.
If you want to test if the most valuable components are still operational, you can try hooking just 5V and HDMI on the PCB and program this volatile image. It creates a 480p test pattern at ~60-70Hz using internal oscillator which can be used to check if FPGA and HDMI TX still work.
mathewbeall

Post by mathewbeall »

marqs wrote:
mathewbeall wrote:I can only assume somehow i blew out other components on the board - as I was able to program the chip with the CPS3 firmware.
If you want to test if the most valuable components are still operational, you can try hooking just 5V and HDMI on the PCB and program this volatile image. It creates a 480p test pattern at ~60-70Hz using internal oscillator which can be used to check if FPGA and HDMI TX still work.

Thanks - I will give it a shot!
marqs

Post by marqs »

I just installed the board on Neo Geo (MV1C) and ported firmware accordingly. The installation is very simple for models that use integrated audio subsystem chip (e.g. NEO-YSA2) while older models with discreet audio chips would probably need an adapter board.

I'll update the repository with firmware image and instructions soon. Thanks to RetroRGB for providing the hardware.
mathewbeall

Post by mathewbeall »

oh hell yes!!!
Epyc

Post by Epyc »

This is great news!! I happen to have a MV1C and an extra DigiAV board!
Last edited by Epyc on Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

The Open MVS team is currently looking to integrate this into the design. I'll have more info and a demo video of this fairly soon.