CPS2 digital AV interface

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Kavas

Re: CPS2 digital AV interface

Post by Kavas »

Epyc wrote:I had this happen in previous firmwares also but it went away after a while. In new firmware revisions I noticed it was much better and non-existent after a few minutes of play. Maybe silicon lottery is playing a factor when we're close to maxing out the FPGA? Does it happen at lower resolutions?
Yes it happens on all resolutions. I left this on a little bit and it's not going away.
marqs

Post by marqs »

The issue is clearly related to the sampling edge as mentioned on the last page. One of the things that possibly makes difference between installations is the length and type of the clock wire as it affects the skew between CPS2 and cps2_digiav board.

@Kavas: Can you confirm whether 07/2019 version of the firmware works without issues? Once the menu is in place, it probably makes sense to provide an option for sampling edge selection as it seems it might be tough to find a value that works perfectly for all (although I don't recall hearing about this issue on that 07/2019 version).
Kavas

Post by Kavas »

I can confirm your older firmware resolves the issue! :)

I will button up my case and wait until the issue is resolved. I'm actually happy, I thought I had botched the installation. Glad I wasn't crazy when I tested it out. This thing usually sits in my dedicated CPS2 dynamo cabinet. Only use the HDMI when taking it otg.

The weird scaling is back tho.
dannahan

Post by dannahan »

@marqs after I installed the firmware, I noticed that the left side is missing the first vertical set of pixels, but there’s some pixels showing on the right. Not sure if its the installation, but it works perfectly on the jamma out. Here are some pictures as I might not explaining very well.

https://imgur.com/a/e0OQvhH

Velyks

Post by Velyks »

Hi,

Has anyone else had issue with getting the Magewell USB Capture HDMI, or some picky HDMI screens, to display the content coming out of the CPS2 Digi AV?

I swear I had this working at one point but I've just tried it with both the new firmware and the 07/2019 firmware and neither are being picked up by it or my PC screen. It is being picked up by my front room LG TV and my other PC screen though.

Anyone have any thoughts?
marqs

Post by marqs »

dannahan wrote:@marqs after I installed the firmware, I noticed that the left side is missing the first vertical set of pixels, but there’s some pixels showing on the right. Not sure if its the installation, but it works perfectly on the jamma out. Here are some pictures as I might not explaining very well.
It seems that picture has shifted 1px to left which may be caused by the same sampling edge inconsistency as mentioned earlier. I wonder if the 16MHz clock would be avalable closer to the mod board as I've seen installations with different tap points (directly from OSC or after buffer) and different coax types/lengths, all potentially affecting clock delay.
dannahan

Post by dannahan »

marqs wrote:
dannahan wrote:@marqs after I installed the firmware, I noticed that the left side is missing the first vertical set of pixels, but there’s some pixels showing on the right. Not sure if its the installation, but it works perfectly on the jamma out. Here are some pictures as I might not explaining very well.
It seems that picture has shifted 1px to left which may be caused by the same sampling edge inconsistency as mentioned earlier. I wonder if the 16MHz clock would be avalable closer to the mod board as I've seen installations with different tap points (directly from OSC or after buffer) and different coax types/lengths, all potentially affecting clock delay.
I've installed it similar to how Rosewood had installed his system: https://retrostuff.org/2019/10/07/capco ... nterfaces/
However, I used a stripped down VIDEO RCA yellow cable.

Notice that when he updated his firmware, his dot cross hatch looked normal:
https://retrostuff.org/2020/03/29/capco ... re-update/
marqs

Post by marqs »

dannahan wrote:I've installed it similar to how Rosewood had installed his system: https://retrostuff.org/2019/10/07/capco ... nterfaces/

Could it be that A-board revision or B-board (game) has minor effect on the horizontal offset? If this is the case, then it'd make sense to add an option to tweak it on the upcoming menu.
dannahan

Post by dannahan »

marqs wrote:
dannahan wrote:I've installed it similar to how Rosewood had installed his system: https://retrostuff.org/2019/10/07/capco ... nterfaces/

Could it be that A-board revision or B-board (game) has minor effect on the horizontal offset? If this is the case, then it'd make sense to add an option to tweak it on the upcoming menu.
I'm not sure. However, my B-Board is -3 and has the latest Darksoft CPS2 Multi if that helps?

More Details
https://imgur.com/a/Hj7ESZE

Here's my A-board setup just for info

More Details
https://imgur.com/a/DlXQx8O

I hope this helps
dannahan

Post by dannahan »

@marqs - I ended up flashing to the latest firmware and it fixed the issue!

Thank you so much! :D
Jimd0586

Post by Jimd0586 »

Are these still for sale? And if so how do I get one?

I’ve been having issues with my CPS2 Board. My super gun sends component out and the HDTV loses signal intermittently. I’m wondering if this would fix that issue!?!
Jimd0586

Post by Jimd0586 »

Any of these for sale?
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Vgp has them: https://videogameperfection.com/product ... e-diy-kit/

^^it really depends on the source of the problem. Are you able to plug the board into a jamma cab or other interface, to isolate the problem to either the supergun or the board?
Even if it's at the board, it really depends on where the problem is originating. Hdmi kit taps signals at the digital sources.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dannahan

Post by dannahan »

@marqs is there anyway to default a certain resolution (1600 x 1200 for example) every time the CPS2 boots up? If not, could this be possible on the next firmware update? Thanks again!
Jimd0586

Post by Jimd0586 »

NoAffinity wrote:Vgp has them: https://videogameperfection.com/product ... e-diy-kit/

^^it really depends on the source of the problem. Are you able to plug the board into a jamma cab or other interface, to isolate the problem to either the supergun or the board?
Even if it's at the board, it really depends on where the problem is originating. Hdmi kit taps signals at the digital sources.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I figured it out, it was my TV! So I went with the component to retroktink route and it’s working like a champ! Thanks!
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

cps2_digiav installation on Dogyuun (Toaplan2 hardware series):

Illustration of hookup points: JPG
Mounting tape placement: JPG

First time SMD soldering (with regards to the cps1_adapter board), glad it worked out. The 1.2mm chisel tip fit the task quite well, next time I might switch from .5mm to .35mm solder though, and I need a finer pair of tweezers. I was going to use RG-58 coax cable at first, but considered it a bit too stiff, so I went with RG-174.

Very happy with the result, many thanks to marqs and all other contributors who made this possible! :)

Here's a video capture (1600x1200 output mode): YouTube
Note that the footage was first compressed by me, and once again by YouTube, so there are artifacts in the video which are not part of the live HDMI signal. Here are a few lossless screenshots for reference (click for full size):
Spoiler
I also recorded footage off of a patched program ROM where the sync signal quirk is removed (more info in this thread). This effectively simulates a game that doesn't exhibit the anomaly (slightly different sync timing as a consequence), showing that it works with these games as well: YouTube
Velyks wrote:Has anyone else had issue with getting the Magewell USB Capture HDMI, or some picky HDMI screens, to display the content coming out of the CPS2 Digi AV?
I'm using the Magewell USB Capture HDMI Plus, and all video output modes work fine (with the Toaplan2 installation).
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Wow, expensive PCB to test this on! Congrats for completing it!
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Thanks! The Teki Paki I recently found would have been more suitable as a test object I suppose, on the other hand I'm expecting more playtime from Dogyuun, so it'll be more worthwhile.
ModGirl

Post by ModGirl »

Here's my attempt at making the install look a little cleaner on a CPS3.

marqs

Post by marqs »

ModGirl wrote:Here's my attempt at making the install look a little cleaner on a CPS3.
That's nice, it should make CPS3 installations more straightforward. Any idea whether the resistor arrays are in the same place across all board revisions?
ModGirl

Post by ModGirl »

So far, every one ive seen has had the same spacing and layout of the RN's. This was a prototype. I have a new version on the way, ill post pics and source once its all tested.
ModGirl

Post by ModGirl »

Heres the current revision, i think this is about as clean as i can make it. I have a bunch of kits for sale if anyone is interested (ill post gerber files on my gitgub shortly too).

parodius

Post by parodius »

Very nice.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
dannahan

Post by dannahan »

Hi @marqs! Just wondering when the next firmware update would be to keep the previous settings as well as bringing back scanlines. Again, thank you so much for this! I'm planning on purchasing another DIGITAL AV for the CPS1.

Hi @modgirl! That's a pretty good solution for the CPS3! wished I could have purchased your kit instead since it looks pretty robust.
marqs

Post by marqs »

dannahan wrote:Hi @marqs! Just wondering when the next firmware update would be to keep the previous settings as well as bringing back scanlines. Again, thank you so much for this! I'm planning on purchasing another DIGITAL AV for the CPS1.
I've planned to start working on the OSD soon which is more or less a prequisite for these other features.
RickyTTT

Post by RickyTTT »

ModGirl wrote:So far, every one ive seen has had the same spacing and layout of the RN's. This was a prototype. I have a new version on the way, ill post pics and source once its all tested.
Hey, I recently got my third board and planning to do install on CPS3 I would love to use the kit you made, is it posible that I can get 1? I will pay for that
ModGirl

Post by ModGirl »

RickyTTT wrote:Hey, I recently got my third board and planning to do install on CPS3 I would love to use the kit you made, is it posible that I can get 1? I will pay for that
Yes, I'm currently in production at the moment. Keep checking videogameperfection.com or lovegood.dev to see when stock is available.
marqs

Post by marqs »

marqs wrote:
dannahan wrote:Hi @marqs! Just wondering when the next firmware update would be to keep the previous settings as well as bringing back scanlines. Again, thank you so much for this! I'm planning on purchasing another DIGITAL AV for the CPS1.
I've planned to start working on the OSD soon which is more or less a prequisite for these other features.
Finally got around implementing the OSD which is now included in cps2 image. There is now an option to save settings as well. The remaining task is to port scanline engine from OSSC and integrate pending changes to other boards after which the project can be wrapped up.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

marqs wrote:
marqs wrote:
Finally got around implementing the OSD which is now included in cps2 image. There is now an option to save settings as well. The remaining task is to port scanline engine from OSSC and integrate pending changes to other boards after which the project can be wrapped up.
Awesome. Been waiting to order one for converting Batsugun for use on my VGA monitor.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

marqs wrote:
marqs wrote:
marqs - just want to say thank you for this latest development. 1280x1024 and 640x480 on a Viewsonic A90 are simply fantastic. And, I finally got around to trying 240p on a 27" Sony Trinitron. What a treat! My phone camera and/or camera skills don't fully capture it, but it really is perfect.
Spoiler