CPS2 digital AV interface

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Epyc

Re: CPS2 digital AV interface

Post by Epyc »

retrorgb wrote:The Open MVS team is currently looking to integrate this into the design. I'll have more info and a demo video of this fairly soon.
May I suggest routing the HDMI port out the back as opposed to the sides? I’ve used HDMI extensions to route it to the rear on my CPS2 and CPS3 DigiAV installs.
avramce

Post by avramce »

Epyc wrote:
retrorgb wrote:The Open MVS team is currently looking to integrate this into the design. I'll have more info and a demo video of this fairly soon.
May I suggest routing the HDMI port out the back as opposed to the sides? I’ve used HDMI extensions to route it to the rear on my CPS2 and CPS3 DigiAV installs.
Any links would be appreciated, I'm buying a handful of products on Amazon for a test fit, and all the solutions require more depth behind the rear panel than previously alotted.

I bought a kit for testing, but I have a feeling removing the HDMI jack on board and rerouting it to the rear with a 20-pin ribbon would cause massive amounts of interference, right?
mathewbeall

Post by mathewbeall »

Great - as I have my OVMS already, that is what I plan to add this to!

Matt
AlxUnderBase

Post by AlxUnderBase »

Very nice to see that installed :o
marqs

Post by marqs »

The code and install instructions are now here.
marqs

Post by marqs »

avramce wrote:I bought a kit for testing, but I have a feeling removing the HDMI jack on board and rerouting it to the rear with a 20-pin ribbon would cause massive amounts of interference, right?
That would most likely create issues, especially on higher pixel clocks. A HDMI type A (right angle) to HDMI type D "micro" cable might work out if HDMI micro connector could be fitted on the back somehow.
mathewbeall

Post by mathewbeall »

marqs - I did this install tonight with my OpenMVS, following your instructions. Fairly easy - and as expected 1900x1200x5x is just stunning!

Thanks so much!

Matt
MarcMarcB

Post by MarcMarcB »

Hi, does anyone know where I could buy one CPS2 digital AV board? VideoGamePerfection has been out of stock for a while...
thanks!
mathewbeall

Post by mathewbeall »

Thats the only place I know - they are out of stock because of the general shortage right now for chips, etc.
marqs

Post by marqs »

mathewbeall wrote:Thats the only place I know - they are out of stock because of the general shortage right now for chips, etc.
There was some restock a few weeks ago but apparently it sold out allready. Typically it takes 1-2 months to produce a new batch, but the component shortage certainly makes things harder. There has been premilinary discussions with a few others sellers also starting to offer the boards, but it hasn't materialized yet.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

When I do order (I kept missing the boat because I was unsure of my use case being supported), do I need to specify that I need firmware for Toaplan games or does this just impact hardware install itself (i.e., I choose CPS2 av kit and install on a Toaplan pcb without regard the firmware because they are all the same)?
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
marqs

Post by marqs »

thchardcore wrote:When I do order (I kept missing the boat because I was unsure of my use case being supported), do I need to specify that I need firmware for Toaplan games or does this just impact hardware install itself (i.e., I choose CPS2 av kit and install on a Toaplan pcb without regard the firmware because they are all the same)?
You have to ask for Toaplan2 specific FW to be pre-installed or program it yourself. Since Toaplan2 PCBs are somewhat different for each game, you should also check the installation guide and ensure you can find matching points on your PCB. If the game uses ADPCM, you also need cps1_adapter board.
mathewbeall

Post by mathewbeall »

Hi Marqs!

Trying to troubleshoot a CPS1 issue - I am at the point where I am waiting to buy another CPS2 board - since I am not sure what to troubleshoot next. Some history on this board - I installed this on a CPS1 board and the video was working perfect, but no audio - I shipped it out to a person in Brooklyn to troubleshoot it (Jose Cruz) - he found out that a pad had been damaged on the AV board and was able to repair it - so sound now works!

I got the board back, and noticed a flickering issue over HDMI (but clean on the JAMMA edge) - thought I would post here to see if you had any pointers. The CPS2 AV boards are still backordered from VideoPerfection so just in a waiting mode.

Link for the Test mode - JAMMA out

https://youtube.com/shorts/3seBHRs0ooU?feature=share

Link of the same video - HDMI out

https://youtube.com/shorts/6fWyJTVZMK4?feature=share

It's a bit hard to see - but it flickers when fading occurs (from what I am able to tell from SF2:HF)

Thanks if you are able to help at all point me in the right direction!

Matt
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Have you tried different firmwares?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mathewbeall

Post by mathewbeall »

NoAffinity wrote:Have you tried different firmwares?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I am using the CPS1 firmware - which is the only (I am sure) that will work with this.

Matt
marqs

Post by marqs »

mathewbeall wrote:Hi Marqs!

Trying to troubleshoot a CPS1 issue - I am at the point where I am waiting to buy another CPS2 board - since I am not sure what to troubleshoot next. Some history on this board - I installed this on a CPS1 board and the video was working perfect, but no audio - I shipped it out to a person in Brooklyn to troubleshoot it (Jose Cruz) - he found out that a pad had been damaged on the AV board and was able to repair it - so sound now works!

I got the board back, and noticed a flickering issue over HDMI (but clean on the JAMMA edge) - thought I would post here to see if you had any pointers. The CPS2 AV boards are still backordered from VideoPerfection so just in a waiting mode.
It looks like some of the fade bits might be loosely connected or shorted to each other or vdd/gnd. The bad connection could be either between cps1 chips and buffer inputs on cps2_digiav (pins 6-9 of U4), or between the buffer outputs and FPGA. Might be worth debugging since availability of modern FPGAs is currently so bad that it's unlikely that the boards are restocked in near future.
mathewbeall

Post by mathewbeall »

Thanks Marqs! I will look around the board!
mathewbeall

Post by mathewbeall »

Quick question Marqs - looking at your diagrams on your GitHub - F0-F3 are the fade bits, yes?

It looks like they go from J2, pins 7,8,9,10 to U3, pins 5,6,7,8 on U3 - right?

Assuming that is correct - I have continuity all the way from the J2 on the helper board over to the pins on U3 - and I don't have any of them testing as bridged, nor with ground or 5v.

Interestingly enough - one of the time I was cleaning the area with 99.9% Isopropyl - i plugged things in and they looked better for just one time, only a little glitch - and then when I did it again, and dried it all out - the issue is back.. :/

Matt
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

I am a repeat offender and never placed my order when they were in stock. Any chance they will be restocked in the next few months?
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
Danexmurder

Post by Danexmurder »

Yeah, I'd really like to get one of these for an MVS install. I've been happily using my 1st gen one in a CPS2 for years.
BuddahLova

Post by BuddahLova »

Any tricks I could possibly do to help with getting picky monitors to recognize the 59.63Hz signal?

Would running it through an OSSC change anything? Or any settings on the latest firmware?

Thanks!
marqs

Post by marqs »

BuddahLova wrote:Any tricks I could possibly do to help with getting picky monitors to recognize the 59.63Hz signal?

Would running it through an OSSC change anything? Or any settings on the latest firmware?

Thanks!
If the problem is indeed the refresh rate, then there's nothing cps2_digiav or ossc can do since neither is capable of frame rate conversion.
rain2_us

Post by rain2_us »

Good Evening. First time posting. I have built the CPS2 Digital AV board and am having issues getting an HDMI signal. I'm not THAT knowledgeable on how it all works, but I can solder and use a multimeter. Anyways, can someone help me confirm the orientation of the RClamp components behind the HDMI connector? The Silkscreen says Pin 1 should be facing away from the HDMI connector but any datasheet I can find for the RClamp component always shows Pin 1 facing the HDMI connector. I can't seem to find a single photo of that area cause the components are so small. If anyone could provide any help, I would greatly appreciate it.
marqs

Post by marqs »

A small amount of boards were restocked at VGP in case anyone is looking to get one. Cyclone 10LP availability and pricing is expected to normalize on Q4 (no guarantees on that, though) which should ease up manufacturing of these boards in future.
marqs

Post by marqs »

rain2_us wrote:Good Evening. First time posting. I have built the CPS2 Digital AV board and am having issues getting an HDMI signal. I'm not THAT knowledgeable on how it all works, but I can solder and use a multimeter. Anyways, can someone help me confirm the orientation of the RClamp components behind the HDMI connector? The Silkscreen says Pin 1 should be facing away from the HDMI connector but any datasheet I can find for the RClamp component always shows Pin 1 facing the HDMI connector. I can't seem to find a single photo of that area cause the components are so small. If anyone could provide any help, I would greatly appreciate it.
Those ESD diode arrays should be symmetrical so your problem is likely to be elsewhere. Without a scope debugging can be challenging, but I'd start by checking supplies and sync signal connectivities.
rain2_us

Post by rain2_us »

marqs wrote:Those ESD diode arrays should be symmetrical so your problem is likely to be elsewhere. Without a scope debugging can be challenging, but I'd start by checking supplies and sync signal connectivities.
I apologize for the late reply. Thank you for the response. I did buy one from VGP and that worked fine, so I can rule out the CPS2 board entirely. I replaced the ADV7513 just in case that was it, but unfortunately, it was not. Now I'm looking at possibly the 3 parts I had someone help me find substitutes for. Could you confirm if the following parts are actually good replacements? These were not in stock at the time I ordered the BOM. A couple are now in stock, but if they are suitable replacements, then once again, my problem lies elsewhere. I appreciate the help.
TLV70018DDCT --> https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... 8R/3820970
ZHCS400TA --> https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... EE/4806977
AP7361C-33E-13 --> https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... DB/7065575
marqs

Post by marqs »

rain2_us wrote:
marqs wrote:Those ESD diode arrays should be symmetrical so your problem is likely to be elsewhere. Without a scope debugging can be challenging, but I'd start by checking supplies and sync signal connectivities.
I apologize for the late reply. Thank you for the response. I did buy one from VGP and that worked fine, so I can rule out the CPS2 board entirely. I replaced the ADV7513 just in case that was it, but unfortunately, it was not. Now I'm looking at possibly the 3 parts I had someone help me find substitutes for. Could you confirm if the following parts are actually good replacements? These were not in stock at the time I ordered the BOM. A couple are now in stock, but if they are suitable replacements, then once again, my problem lies elsewhere. I appreciate the help.
TLV70018DDCT --> https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... 8R/3820970
ZHCS400TA --> https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... EE/4806977
AP7361C-33E-13 --> https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... DB/7065575
I don't see a problem with those replacements. If you can get/borrow a scope, you should first check PCLK, HSYNC, VSYNC and DE signals between FPGA and ADV7513.
rain2_us

Post by rain2_us »

marqs wrote:I don't see a problem with those replacements. If you can get/borrow a scope, you should first check PCLK, HSYNC, VSYNC and DE signals between FPGA and ADV7513.
That's good to know. I'll see what I can do with a scope. I'll ask a friend how to set it up and get the info needed. Thank you.
Housematt

Post by Housematt »

On the subject of replacements
10CL025YE144C8N are still unobtanium
but
10CL016YE144C8G are starting to creep back onto the market

Would it be possible to substitute the lesser chip?
marqs

Post by marqs »

There are some signs 10CL025YE144C8G availability and pricing would return towards normal at the end of the year. 10CL016YE144C8G has less block RAM so it would not fit all line buffers, thus not being able to support all current output resolutions.