Need to test Wii vs Wii U sharpness at 480p, suggest games

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BazookaBen

Need to test Wii vs Wii U sharpness at 480p, suggest games

Post by BazookaBen »

So I recently tried a Wii game at 480p on my Wii U, playing on a PC CRT (so, native res in theory). Things looked a little blurry, possibly from scaling, but it may have been placebo. Any suggestions for a game I can try, maybe one that is high contrast or has some patterns I could use to contrast the two consoles.

Alternatively, how easy it is it to install the homebrew channel on a Wii U? Maybe I could use the 240p test suite in that case.
bobrocks95

Re: Need to test Wii vs Wii U sharpness at 480p, suggest gam

Post by bobrocks95 »

Extrems has said before that the Wii U has chroma delay and other problems in Wii mode, so it probably doesn't look all that sharp.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

The Wii U is really easy to hack. Easier than the 3DS. And the current firmware is still hackable.
bobrocks95 wrote:Extrems has said before that the Wii U has chroma delay and other problems in Wii mode, so it probably doesn't look all that sharp.
this. It also suffers from the Wii U's Limited RGB Range, which isn't related to sharpness but makes colors inaccurate and dull.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

GeneraLight wrote:It also suffers from the Wii U's Limited RGB Range, which isn't related to sharpness but makes colors inaccurate and dull.
Not if you expand from limited to full range, as you're supposed to. It just cause some minor banding if there's no dither.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Extrems wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:It also suffers from the Wii U's Limited RGB Range, which isn't related to sharpness but makes colors inaccurate and dull.
Not if you expand from limited to full range, as you're supposed to. It just cause some minor banding if there's no dither.
The Wii U doesn't support Full Range though.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

GeneraLight wrote:The Wii U doesn't support Full Range though.
...you expand on the display's end.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

There is no difference in dynamic range between limited and full if the display matches the source. There are just less steps in between the two extremes.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Extrems wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:The Wii U doesn't support Full Range though.
...you expand on the display's end.
Well, yeah. That will improve the colors by correctly mapping the values. But Limited RGB on a Limited RGB Display isn't as good as Full RGB on a Full RGB Display.
Guspaz wrote:There are just less steps in between the two extremes.
You mean less color information
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I have the Wii U hooked up with component cables (then to an RGBHV converter to my CRT). Those should be full range, right? They look damn good with Wii U games.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

It's come up a bunch of times, but I still don't know if the concept of RGB range applies to analog signals at all. I don't think it does.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Isn't the Wii (and vWii) YPbPr native though? Won't you have to go through a conversion process to get to RGB anyway? Whether you convert to limited or full range doesn't seem like it would make a ton of difference in that case.
bobrocks95 wrote:Extrems has said before that the Wii U has chroma delay and other problems in Wii mode, so it probably doesn't look all that sharp.
I recall one forum member here saying he had two Wii U consoles, and one had a worse chroma delay problem than the other.

Mine looks terrible, much worse than I see on Youtube videos. And yes, the chroma delay is so bad it would've shown on even a low-resolution Youtube video.

For sharpness, I didn't notice a huge observable difference. For games to try, uh, try the ones you intend to play. It doesn't really matter how much sharpness difference there is for games you don't intend to play anyway.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

I presume you can enter this menu in the WiiU's Wii mode?

The "i" in "Settings" is supposed to be pixel perfectly sharp* as long as you don't move the Cursor over it, so this might be nice for starters.

*Due to the Wii's meager signal quality you can actually only see that in 480i mode.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

ZellSF wrote:Isn't the Wii (and vWii) YPbPr native though? Won't you have to go through a conversion process to get to RGB anyway? Whether you convert to limited or full range doesn't seem like it would make a ton of difference in that case.
The internal video is digital. HDMI vWii should look best of all, but we've seen before how Wii had slightly worse YPbPr than Gamecube even though those theoretically were the same process.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

The previous thread on the WiiU's vWii mode has some good posts, it's not great and seems to have a few issues compared to the Wii.

Here are some great 480p Metroid Prime 2 screen caps from Madao comparing GC, Wii and WiiU/vWii. It looks to me that the image is a fair bit blurrier on vWii.
panzeroceania

Post by panzeroceania »

bobrocks95 wrote:It's come up a bunch of times, but I still don't know if the concept of RGB range applies to analog signals at all. I don't think it does.
I don't know about analog RGB, but the idea of limited range actually came from analog video, not digital. It has to do with how Luma and Chroma are calculated from RGB math before generating an analog video signal.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Gunstar wrote:Here are some great 480p Metroid Prime 2 screen caps from Madao comparing GC, Wii and WiiU/vWii. It looks to me that the image is a fair bit blurrier on vWii.
Yep, thanks for the link, this is pretty much what I suspected after playing 10 seconds of Xenoblade Chronicles on my new Wii U. Something just seemed off, like it was definitely being scaled to a minor degree.

It stinks that Nintendo fumbled on this, considering they've gotten it so right in the past, with things like 1:1 mode for DS games on the 3DS, and good emulation for most consoles (minus NES of course) on the original Wii's VC.

But I guess they weren't too concerned about people using 480p LCD's or high-frequency CRT's, since that's only a fraction (of a fraction) of a percent of their market.

But yeah, thanks for the help everybody, I'm definitely late to the party on the Wii U and missed all the previous conversations. I guess I'll have to move my original Wii back and forth between my 15kHz CRT and my 140kHz CRT depending on which games I'm playing. But thanks to the Wii U I have two sets of component cables and sensor bars, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

panzeroceania wrote:I don't know about analog RGB, but the idea of limited range actually came from analog video, not digital. It has to do with how Luma and Chroma are calculated from RGB math before generating an analog video signal.
It actually came from SDI. It's to account for filter overshoot and synchronization.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

BazookaBen wrote:
Gunstar wrote:Here are some great 480p Metroid Prime 2 screen caps from Madao comparing GC, Wii and WiiU/vWii. It looks to me that the image is a fair bit blurrier on vWii.
Yep, thanks for the link, this is pretty much what I suspected after playing 10 seconds of Xenoblade Chronicles on my new Wii U. Something just seemed off, like it was definitely being scaled to a minor degree.

It stinks that Nintendo fumbled on this, considering they've gotten it so right in the past, with things like 1:1 mode for DS games on the 3DS, and good emulation for most consoles (minus NES of course) on the original Wii's VC.

But I guess they weren't too concerned about people using 480p LCD's or high-frequency CRT's, since that's only a fraction (of a fraction) of a percent of their market.

But yeah, thanks for the help everybody, I'm definitely late to the party on the Wii U and missed all the previous conversations. I guess I'll have to move my original Wii back and forth between my 15kHz CRT and my 140kHz CRT depending on which games I'm playing. But thanks to the Wii U I have two sets of component cables and sensor bars, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
What's odd about it to me is that proper integer scaling, or even not scaling in this case, always seems to be the easiest to program. Not that I'm a programmer.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Einzelherz wrote:What's odd about it to me is that proper integer scaling, or even not scaling in this case, always seems to be the easiest to program. Not that I'm a programmer.
My guess is it's the same issue as with the backwards compatible PS3. They're more focused on the scaling for higher resolutions, and don't do the work to use a different method at lower resolutions. So it gets scaled everywhere. Like, I seem to remember Gradius 3 ouputting at 480i over component even though it output at 240p on a PS2.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Yep. PS3 doesn't output 240p. Also I believe even the launch model of the PS3 couldn't play every PS2 game. All models of the PS3 can play PS1 games though, but isn't that through emulation?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Integer scaling is almost never what you want to do in a general video scaling solution. Its basically the worst possible option for photographic content that most scaling is going to be dealing with. That's why TVs never do integer scaling.

As for the WiiU, the focus there is on scaling 480p content to 1080p. Integer scaling doesn't work there to begin with (that's a 2.25x scale). Ditto for 240p scaling for VirtualConsole, that's not an integer scale there (that's 4.5x).
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Guspaz wrote:Integer scaling is almost never what you want to do in a general video scaling solution. Its basically the worst possible option for photographic content that most scaling is going to be dealing with. That's why TVs never do integer scaling.

As for the WiiU, the focus there is on scaling 480p content to 1080p. Integer scaling doesn't work there to begin with (that's a 2.25x scale). Ditto for 240p scaling for VirtualConsole, that's not an integer scale there (that's 4.5x).
Yeah, the thread is about 480p>480p though. So interger scaling is exactly what you want. Instead it's seems to be 1:1.03 or something super weird.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

BazookaBen wrote:
Guspaz wrote:Integer scaling is almost never what you want to do in a general video scaling solution. Its basically the worst possible option for photographic content that most scaling is going to be dealing with. That's why TVs never do integer scaling.

Yeah, the thread is about 480p>480p though. So interger scaling is exactly what you want. Instead it's seems to be 1:1.03 or something super weird.
Gunstar posted a link to the old thread- 16 pixels are cut off in all resolutions, giving 480p the most overscan and 1080p the least.