How's the Saturn 3D/Analog controller?...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

How's the Saturn 3D/Analog controller?...

Post by dave4shmups »

I have used a regular Saturn controller, but never this one. Kinda looks like the DC controller. The side grips do look pretty comfortable. Plus I've heard that certain games, like Sky Target, control a lot better with this controller. I already have Burning Rangers, and I'm wondering if it would be better for that, too.

And how's the D-Pad on this thing? Looks pretty big, especially for an analog controller.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I personally like it a lot, though I haven't really played enough with the "regular" Saturn controller to compare 'em much: I got "Nights" along with the controller soon after I got the Saturn, and have just sort of stayed with the newer controller since then, as I haven't had any real issues with it. Again, though, I can't really say how much of an "upgrade" it'd be from what you already have...if you're looking to buy "Nights" though, you can usually snag the game and the controller together for pretty cheap, I got the set for less than ten bucks.
Ord

Post by Ord »

Burning Rangers plays like a dream on the analog controler. I can't imagine playing it on digital. Oh and if you havn't already tried it i REALLY recommend Nights Into Dreams. Sonic Teams finest hour imo.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about NIGHTS. I gather that it's is a 3D platformer; would that be correct?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Not exactly, since you spend a lot of time flying around as opposed to running, jumping, etc. Also, while the graphics are 3-D, most of your movement is on a 2-D plane. I wasn't overly impressed with it, truth be told, but then again I've never been very big on Sonic-style stuff, so I'm in the minority on it.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

personally, the only time i would ever use the 3d pad is while playing Nights. i don't really care for (especially for shooters), it's too big and the triggers don't feel right for "fast action" usage. after getting the white saturn, i'll stick with the pad it came with (well, at least until i get an arcade stick :) )
I have no sig whatsoever.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

The D-Pad is really nice - very much like the regular Saturn pad's. As a digital controller I think it compares very nicely, and I think the buttons are actually superior since they're all the same size and shape. It really comes down to how the "moonpie" form factor works for you. I do think the size of the regular pad is a bit more convenient, and I could see how the analog pad could be compared to the Dreamcast pad in feel - not a good thing for most people.

These things are so cheap and plentiful I don't see how you could go wrong trying one out.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Rule of thumb: Use the analog controller for games that require/support it only. Everything else is just fine with the japanese-style pad.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I love my 3D controller; in fact, it's the only one I use on my Saturn. I bought an older Saturn w/ the old-style pad instead of the 2nd-generation pad everyone else here raves. You can pick up NiGHTS w/ the pad fairly inexpensively (it can be had for $30 or so) if you look hard enough. Definitely worth your money.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

You can find Nights w/controller for $12 new on Ebay. Definitely not for everybody though.