Faroudja NR Series, how does it compare to other upscalers?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
tongshadow

Faroudja NR Series, how does it compare to other upscalers?

Post by tongshadow »

Title is self explanatory, but I couldnt really find any info about this specific Faroudja model. How does it fare against other Faroudja units like the DVP-3000 or the V400A?
I'm aware its output cant be changed, but I found an unit that would be perfect for my old LCD.
Fudoh

Re: Faroudja NR Series, how does it compare to other upscale

Post by Fudoh »

Should be identical to the DVP-1000 units. I think these are basically the same machines, with the NR units locked to specific outputs, while the 1000 had a flexible output. This means that the NR unit likely has undefeatable DCDi for low-res sources.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

thanks for replying Fudoh! :D

Another question, it says "Plasma 1366x768" in the back... and my display is a LCD. Does it even matter?
Also, how does it compared to the DVDO iScan HD?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The interpolation (DCDi) for 15khz sources on the DVP-1000 is really bad, so I wouldn't consider a similar processor if you want to use 240p sources. For 480i the Faroudjas are solid processors and better than the iScan HD/HD+/VP20/30 (without upgrade).

If your display is WXGA it should be fine. Only caveat is that many LCDs require a native feed with 1360 instead of 1366 hoizontal resolution. A 1366-wide source might not give you a 100% exact pixel match on the horizontal axis (but with upscaling that's hardly a problem).
strayan

Post by strayan »

Fudoh wrote:Should be identical to the DVP-1000 units. I think these are basically the same machines, with the NR units locked to specific outputs, while the 1000 had a flexible output.
Do you happen to know the list of output resolutions?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

the usual standard rates up to 1080p. You can find the manual online. It lists the resolutions.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Fudoh wrote:the usual standard rates up to 1080p. You can find the manual online. It lists the resolutions.
It does indeed list the resolutions, somehow I missed it.

Was hoping it could do custom output resolutions, what does DILA stand for (it’s listed as SR10)?