[Question] How to connect PS4 to SONY BVM-D24EW

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
modology

[Question] How to connect PS4 to SONY BVM-D24EW

Post by modology »

Hi, can someone please let me know what's the best way to convert digital signal HDMI from PS4 to Analog RGB BNC on Sony BVM D24EW?
There must be some sort of adapter or converter that allow me to do this however I'm not sure which one I should buy.
Someone who have had experiences connecting SONY BVM to PS3/PS4 please share your thought. Thanks
Lord of Pirates

Re: [Question] How to connect PS4 to SONY BVM-D24EW

Post by Lord of Pirates »

Is there any particular reason why you want to do this?
Last edited by Lord of Pirates on Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Lord of Pirates wrote:Is there any particular reason why you want to do this?
It's a 720p/1080i display and will probably look pretty good. It would be especially nice for 720p PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U games.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
modology

Post by modology »

I think PS4 games will look quite nice on CRT at 720p.

As mentioned by cruzlink2
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-to-SDI-Con ... SwImRYP36J

Is this the least display lag adapter on the market? As I might play some games like KOF14, Street fighter 5, thus lesser display lag, the better.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

modology wrote:Is this the least display lag adapter on the market? As I might play some games like KOF14, Street fighter 5, thus lesser display lag, the better.
I would also like to know this. Although the 1 star rating for the product itself and dozens of negative feeback on the seller's profile doesn't help at all.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

You probably want an HDFury.
We apologise for the inconvenience
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

This is what I use. There's zero lag: http://www.retrorgb.com/upscalercompare.html#lag

You'll only need an HDFury if HDCP is involved. I have an HDMI Splitter that both breaks out audio and is HDCP-compliant. It was about $30 and the perfect compliment to this.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

retrorgb wrote:
This is what I use. There's zero lag: http://www.retrorgb.com/upscalercompare.html#lag

You'll only need an HDFury if HDCP is involved. I have an HDMI Splitter that both breaks out audio and is HDCP-compliant. It was about $30 and the perfect compliment to this.
Link to the HDMI Splitter? So it splits off into 2 HDMI cables? One for audio that you hook up to speakers and the other fed into the HD Fury and then into the BVM?
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

GeneraLight wrote:Link to the HDMI Splitter? So it splits off into 2 HDMI cables? One for audio that you hook up to speakers and the other fed into the HD Fury and then into the BVM?
HDMI ->Splitter -> HDMI-to-SDi. Get audio from either the dedicate audio outputs of the splitter, or the 2nd HDMI output (might be easier for some stereo receivers).

No HDFury required.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

retrorgb wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:Link to the HDMI Splitter? So it splits off into 2 HDMI cables? One for audio that you hook up to speakers and the other fed into the HD Fury and then into the BVM?
HDMI ->Splitter -> HDMI-to-SDi. Get audio from either the dedicate audio outputs of the splitter, or the 2nd HDMI output (might be easier for some stereo receivers).

No HDFury required.
Thanks. How does the quality stack up against the HD Fury? Nice to hear it has zero lag.
nissling

Post by nissling »

orange808 wrote:You probably want an HDFury.
I second this. Been using an HDFury for a Ps4 with my HDM-3830 and results have always been superb when outputting 1080i. No visual loss whatsoever and it does just what it's supposed to, nothing else. Great stuff.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

GeneraLight wrote:Thanks. How does the quality stack up against the HD Fury? Nice to hear it has zero lag.
The quality of what? HDFury is HDMI to VGA, right?
Remistewart

Post by Remistewart »

I have the exact same monitor and have been using a HDFURY4 with my PS4 for the last year. Absolutely gorgeous and 100% digital to analog signal quality with zero lag. Also has a 0-255 RGB color space switch, so you can play using the supplied vga to component adapter with the correct video levels. The later models are very expensive though
Nekoi

Post by Nekoi »

retrorgb wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:Thanks. How does the quality stack up against the HD Fury? Nice to hear it has zero lag.
The quality of what? HDFury is HDMI to VGA, right?
I'd like to know as well. The adapter that you linked is quite cheap, if the quality is good I would give it a try.

I bought a HDFury nano gx this week. It works, but the image has ghosting. It is absolutely awful if you don't use the USB power cable. If you plug the power cable in it is a bit better, but still unacceptable. Escpecially if you consider that I paid 70 EUR for it. There are a lot of cheap converters on Amazon. That's the kind of quality I would expect from those. I'm going to return it.

This Portta HDMI to VGA converter is just 17 USD. Is the VGA image is without problems or not?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I bought a HDFury nano gx this week. It works, but the image has ghosting. It is absolutely awful if you don't use the USB power cable. If you plug the power cable in it is a bit better, but still unacceptable. Escpecially if you consider that I paid 70 EUR for it. There are a lot of cheap converters on Amazon. That's the kind of quality I would expect from those. I'm going to return it.
this sounds wrong. While I don't have a HDF Nano I doubt that they would put something like this on the market. All other HDFury units were absolutly fabulous in terms of image quality (I have a HDF3). Are you sure your cables are in order and that your passthrough outputs on the BVM are properly terminated ?

I've had good experiences with most of the cheap converters. Still I don't think that the Nano is your problem.
Nekoi

Post by Nekoi »

Fudoh wrote: this sounds wrong. While I don't have a HDF Nano I doubt that they would put something like this on the market. All other HDFury units were absolutly fabulous in terms of image quality (I have a HDF3). Are you sure your cables are in order and that your passthrough outputs on the BVM are properly terminated ?

I've had good experiences with most of the cheap converters. Still I don't think that the Nano is your problem.
I did some more testing. And it appears you're right.

I also get some slight ghosting if I connect the VGA out of my graphics card to the RGB interface. And the output of the HDFury looks good if I connect it to my VGA monitor.

So the problems lies elsewhere. It is not the cabling. The passthrough outputs are also properly terminated. The culprit is the extron RGB interface. If I turn off the digital sync processing on the interface the ghosting disappears. But if the sync processing is off, the seration pulse option does not work anymore. The image I'm getting in this situation is bent at the top. Looks like you can't win here.

The extron interface is used, looks visually almost new though. I think it is one of the cheaper units, a 164xi. What to do? Should I try to get a different extron RGB interface?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Apologies for reviving an old thread but I want to achieve the same purpose (PS4 on a D24 with the sync combined by an Extron rxi) and would like to know exactly which model of the HDFury is confirmed to work for this, since it wasn't specified.

I have also heard that some HDFury devices required flashing a different firmware to work with other HDMI consoles. Can anyone with this kind of setup please provide some info?
nissling

Post by nissling »

I used an HDFury Gamer 2 Component when I had one for my old HDM. You could probably get an HDFury Gamer 2 VGA if you want RGBHV through DSUB15 to your Extron. The HDFury I had only outputted the correct levels when fed with RGB full range, otherwise the WTW levels are lowered down below reference white when using YCbCr or the BTB levels raised to reference black when using RGB video levels.

I never had any compability issues with my HDFury and used it with both my PS4 och PS4 Pro multiple times without any problems whatsover.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Thanks for the reply. Those older models don't seem to be readily available though. There seem to have been a lot of name changes, drama about HDCP, and clones which makes this all the more confusing.

Does anyone know if the currently available HDFury X3 would work for both games and blu-ray? https://www.hdfury.com/product/hd-fury-x3/

I see they also have a new X4 but that sounds like overkill.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

bobrocks95 wrote:
It's a 720p/1080i display and will probably look pretty good. It would be especially nice for 720p PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U games.
That's the thing. Every PS4 game renders at a native 1920x1080p, and some even render in 4K if you have the Pro. At that point, you're losing a ton of resolution if you play on a BVM. The PS3, 360 and Wii U are the newest consoles you should play on a BVM, since they all render 90%+ of their games at 720p.
nissling

Post by nissling »

fernan1234 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Those older models don't seem to be readily available though.
You can still find them in their store here in Europe. Otherwise the HDFury Nano should do the trick. One thing I noted with the HDFury Gamer 2 Component is that the sound was rather distorted and pretty bad overall. Not useless, but certainly a degregation.

Personally, I would just recommend going for an HDMI to SDI converter with the D24 if you've got a BKM-41HD unless you're really bothered by the fan. I'm waiting for an A24 to arrive with BKM-62HS so SDI is my only option and I'm perfectly happy with that.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

GeneraLight wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:
That's the thing. Every PS4 game renders at a native 1920x1080p, and some even render in 4K if you have the Pro. At that point, you're losing a ton of resolution if you play on a BVM. The PS3, 360 and Wii U are the newest consoles you should play on a BVM, since they all render 90%+ of their games at 720p.
Loss of resolution is a nonsense argument against playing these games on a CRT; it really doesn't matter. Set the PS4 to output 1080i and enjoy. :)
nissling

Post by nissling »

Plus not all games on the PS4 are rendered at 1080p, though most certainly are. Doom uses dynamic resolution rendering for instance. However, all games for the PS4 can output at both 1080p and 1080i from my knowledge.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

nissling wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Those older models don't seem to be readily available though.
You can still find them in their store here in Europe. Otherwise the HDFury Nano should do the trick. One thing I noted with the HDFury Gamer 2 Component is that the sound was rather distorted and pretty bad overall. Not useless, but certainly a degregation.

Personally, I would just recommend going for an HDMI to SDI converter with the D24 if you've got a BKM-41HD unless you're really bothered by the fan. I'm waiting for an A24 to arrive with BKM-62HS so SDI is my only option and I'm perfectly happy with that.
I know the 41HD route makes things simpler in most regards, but the fan indeed is annoying, plus you can't do SD resolutions over it, and I've also heard that for some people picture quality is better via HDMI to RGBHV.

I'm in the US, and when I can see some of those older models they are way more expensive than the X3 sold by HDFury themselves, so hopefully that one will work.

Do these really perform better than cheap HDMI to VGA dongles you can buy on Amazon though?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Point of the more expensive HDFury units would be your choice of component or RGBHV output. If you just want RGBHV and you have other means to convert that to RGsB or RGBs (e.g. an Extron interface) for use on your monitor, why not get the Tendak HDMI to VGA converter that's been recommend before.
nissling

Post by nissling »

fernan1234 wrote:I know the 41HD route makes things simpler in most regards, but the fan indeed is annoying, plus you can't do SD resolutions over it, and I've also heard that for some people picture quality is better via HDMI to RGBHV.
The only possible downside with the 41HD would be some chroma sub sampling, as it's all shown in YUV 4:2:2. Otherwise, there's nothing to gain by going analog. No big deal in other words.

A fellow of mine replaced the fan with a much less loud one. Don't know which one he used, but you could certainly look into it as you're annoyed by the fan.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Fudoh wrote:Point of the more expensive HDFury units would be your choice of component or RGBHV output. If you just want RGBHV and you have other means to convert that to RGsB or RGBs (e.g. an Extron interface) for use on your monitor, why not get the Tendak HDMI to VGA converter that's been recommend before.
I do only want RGBHV and not component. I was afraid that cheap adapters like the Tendak could result in degraded colors or something of the sort, but if that's not an issue then I'll probably go for that.

Replacing the fan on the 41HD sounds interesting, perhaps a last resort.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I remember when gumball was researching DAC options the hd fury 3 had evidence of scaling artifacts around the halo sights on his tests.

But the Tendak DAC has jitter and doesn’t break dhcp. I would still like to hear an end all option.
Copyright 1987
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Hoagtech wrote:I remember when gumball was researching DAC options the hd fury 3 had evidence of scaling artifacts around the halo sights on his tests.

But the Tendak DAC has jitter and doesn’t break dhcp. I would still like to hear an end all option.
The Portta HDMI to VGA converter reportedly works with for the PS3, which means it strips DHCP.

I own one, and it works well, but I haven't yet tested it with my PS3.