Sony PVM 20L5 Power Switch

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bahamutfan64

Sony PVM 20L5 Power Switch

Post by bahamutfan64 »

I have a working 20L5 with a broken power switch assembly. Namely, the black plastic shaft had broken and can no longer actuate the Switch at all. I've opened up the case and did my best to collect all the broken pieces that constitute the shaft, including the spring.

Looking at the J board, I took apart the shielding covering the switch assembly to reveal the actual power switc, which itself is working properly and can turn the monitor on and off when I manually slide it within its housing with my fingers (as the shaft is no longer attached to it).

Within the black housing, there are two little metal pieces. One is golden in color (looks like a few staples grouped together) and was seated in little indentations perpendicular to the direction of how the shaft typically moves.

The other one is a little silver piece (looks like a single paper clip), and it seemed it was displaced. Could anyone please tell me where that one goes?

In the meantime, I have the switch manually set to the on position, with the PVM plugged into a surge protected extension cord that itself has an on/off switch - can I use this set up for the time being?

Thanks a lot!
Fuuj0r

Re: Sony PVM 20L5 Power Switch

Post by Fuuj0r »

bahamutfan64 wrote:I have a working 20L5 with a broken power switch assembly. Namely, the black plastic shaft had broken and can no longer actuate the Switch at all. I've opened up the case and did my best to collect all the broken pieces that constitute the shaft, including the spring.

Looking at the J board, I took apart the shielding covering the switch assembly to reveal the actual power switc, which itself is working properly and can turn the monitor on and off when I manually slide it within its housing with my fingers (as the shaft is no longer attached to it).

Within the black housing, there are two little metal pieces. One is golden in color (looks like a few staples grouped together) and was seated in little indentations perpendicular to the direction of how the shaft typically moves.

The other one is a little silver piece (looks like a single paper clip), and it seemed it was displaced. Could anyone please tell me where that one goes?

In the meantime, I have the switch manually set to the on position, with the PVM plugged into a surge protected extension cord that itself has an on/off switch - can I use this set up for the time being?

Thanks a lot!
Hi, did you ever get this fixed? I'm in the same boat. and i think the spring has vanished into the cast somewhere
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

Hi,

I did end up getting it fixed by buying a new shaft and a new switch which I had to solder to the J-board. I found the part numbers through the Service Manual, which I found online.

I can go through my old emails to see from where I sourced the replacement parts, but please keep in mind that this was three years ago and so their availability may now be problematic : /

If worse does come to worse, opening up the PVM and manually setting the switch to the On position, and then using a power strip with an On/Off button did work for me without issue.
Fuuj0r

Post by Fuuj0r »

bahamutfan64 wrote:Hi,

I did end up getting it fixed by buying a new shaft and a new switch which I had to solder to the J-board. I found the part numbers through the Service Manual, which I found online.

I can go through my old emails to see from where I sourced the replacement parts, but please keep in mind that this was three years ago and so their availability may now be problematic : /

If worse does come to worse, opening up the PVM and manually setting the switch to the On position, and then using a power strip with an On/Off button did work for me without issue.
Thanksfor the reply, I searched the service manual and got the part numbers.

4-086-511-03 o SWITCH, SHAFT
1-786-226-11 s SWITCH, AC POWER PUSH

I'm trying to find them sourced but as you say its tough to find these things these days.