shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:41 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:05 pm 



Joined: 08 Jan 2017
Posts: 3
Hey all.

I was hoping someone could provide some guidance around the replacement of the fan for the BKM42HD. This is the double slot adapter for SDI/HSDI.

I already replaced the fan with a 40mm Noctua (NF-A4X10-FLX 5V) and it spins around just fine.

However, the big issue is that I get an error on screen when trying to utilize the SDI inputs. It's something along the lines of "Fan error".

I got a helpful response on reddit a while back, and I PMed him to see if he had any more details, but he has not gotten back to me. :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... vm_series/


Anybody know how I could go about fixing this so that the card recognizes the new fan?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:04 pm 



Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Posts: 176
Hey MikeMike,

That was me! Sorry that I hadn't got back to you yet, I don't often visit Reddit and I had been meaning to follow up. Christmas holidays got in the way!

That is the exact same fan I used and it is much more quiet than the stock Sony fan (F412RS05LB-02). I made up a little loom to go between the fan header on the BKM42HD board and the Noctua fan so that it was completely reversible and I didn't have to cut any wires.

+5V from the fan header pin goes to positive (red) at the fan end
GND from the fan header pin goes to GND (black) at the fan end
The fan RPM sensor wire from the fan header pin (yellow) needs to be tied to the GND pin of the fan header to fool the board that the FAN is operational

Image

It really is that simple and this will obviously work on any monitor which accepts a BKM42HD card, not just a D24.

Please be aware that if your fan does fail, you won't be notified about it on screen and there is the possibility that it could damage your BKM42HD. Having said that, these Noctua fans have a 6 year warranty and aren't some average, cheap and nasty PC fan.

Let me know how you go, MikeMike.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:05 pm 



Joined: 08 Jan 2017
Posts: 3
You're alive!!

I hoped that you would be on this forum based on your specific knowledge on that reddit thread. You had a brand new reddit account, and I thought I'd send out some signal flares as forum posts until you saw them. :)

Thanks a ton for your follow up. After doing a bit of research, I figured that you bought that ones specific Noctua fan. There are no better options available it seems. That fan even comes with some great wires and stuff to attach to the fan header on the BKM board.

I first set it up at a wire-for-wire methodology, and matched the header to the Noctua wires as shown:

This didn't work:

Image

Notice the wires all connected to the proper places.

Weird how it didn't work.

This whole thing was driving me a bit nutty. I was even making a "how to" video. Silly me, as that turned out to be a dud, so again, I appreciate your response. I was about to just go back to using the old fan, and was about to contact my guy at Sony to help with a new fan. (Those new fans for the BKM are INSANELY priced btw). I also tried to find some information on how to fool a motherboard to think that the fan is working.

Anyway....

I followed your instructions, and it worked!!!

Image

No more "FAN NOT FOUND" error message.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:38 pm 



Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Posts: 176
Yep, alive and signal flares seen. :)

Nice work on getting it working, MikeMike! Glad I could help.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:29 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Hey guys! Wow just what I needed! My SDI card definitely has that classic 40mm fan whine and was looking into something like this.

Time to place an order and break out the molex crimper!

You're the best!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:23 am 



Joined: 08 Jan 2017
Posts: 3
furntree wrote:
Hey guys! Wow just what I needed! My SDI card definitely has that classic 40mm fan whine and was looking into something like this.

Time to place an order and break out the molex crimper!

You're the best!



I'm glad to uh... beg for help and be lucky enough to receive it! :D


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:00 am 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2016
Posts: 27
I saw this thread some time ago and bookmarked it. I hadn't used the HD SDI card of my monitor so far because of the fan and since I had no way to feed it a SDI signal. I bought an HDMI to SDI converter this week and was also thinking about replacing the fan like described here.

I would be fine with a bit of fan noise when the monitor is turned on. But to my surprise the fan is running even if the monitor is standby mode. That's super weird. I have never seen something like that before.
Even if the Noctua fan is less noisy than the stock fan, a fan that is always running is a no-go for me.

How do you guys deal with that? Do you always completely turn off the monitor? Or are just letting the fan spin the whole time? Or perhaps there is a different solution you have come up with?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:52 pm 



Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Posts: 176
Nekoi wrote:
I saw this thread some time ago and bookmarked it. I hadn't used the HD SDI card of my monitor so far because of the fan and since I had no way to feed it a SDI signal. I bought an HDMI to SDI converter this week and was also thinking about replacing the fan like described here.

I would be fine with a bit of fan noise when the monitor is turned on. But to my surprise the fan is running even if the monitor is standby mode. That's super weird. I have never seen something like that before.
Even if the Noctua fan is less noisy than the stock fan, a fan that is always running is a no-go for me.

How do you guys deal with that? Do you always completely turn off the monitor? Or are just letting the fan spin the whole time? Or perhaps there is a different solution you have come up with?


If you don't always use the HD-SDI board, simply slide the board out a bit so that it's removed from the socket, not receiving any power. That way when you use the monitor for RGB purposes, it will be completely silent. Ensure that the BVM is always turned off whenever plugging in or removing any of the input boards.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:39 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 52
Location: France
Thanks, I shall have no more this damned error message!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:38 am 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2016
Posts: 27
xga wrote:
If you don't always use the HD-SDI board, simply slide the board out a bit so that it's removed from the socket, not receiving any power. That way when you use the monitor for RGB purposes, it will be completely silent. Ensure that the BVM is always turned off whenever plugging in or removing any of the input boards.

Hmm, not really a solution. I think I would either use the board a lot or not at all.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:41 pm 



Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Posts: 176
Nekoi wrote:
xga wrote:
If you don't always use the HD-SDI board, simply slide the board out a bit so that it's removed from the socket, not receiving any power. That way when you use the monitor for RGB purposes, it will be completely silent. Ensure that the BVM is always turned off whenever plugging in or removing any of the input boards.

Hmm, not really a solution. I think I would either use the board a lot or not at all.


Well, I think your best option is to turn power to the monitor off, rather than putting it into standby.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:22 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2016
Posts: 27
There has got to be a better way.

I'm thinking about using a temperature controlled fan. A fan that stops running once a certain temperature gets reached. If you put the monitor into standby the temperature should come down after a while and then the fan would stop running too. Something like that must exist.

Or perhaps install a big passive cooler ans still trick the monitor into thinking the fan is running.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:46 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Dec 2016
Posts: 13
When in standby mode even though the tube is "off" voltage is still being applied to the heater and filament to keep the unit "warm". Sony spec states 30-40mins power on time to be fully warmed up for "accurate colors". In a home environment It's highly recommended to turn the unit off completely as keeping the heater and filament powered will basically sap hours out of the display.

Always recommended to turn off the unit fully from the switch on the back! I usually turn it off into standby mode, wait for it to do its click-clacking, then turn off with the switch after a few seconds.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:32 am 



Joined: 30 Oct 2017
Posts: 3
I just ran into this myself using HD-SDI for the first time (previous owner unplugged the fan), and bought the same replacement. I might be dense, but I'm not sure how you guys were able to jam the yellow wire back into the connector like that. I was able to come up with this though; hopefully, it helps someone down the line. I had to strip off some of the thicker black wire to get it to fit with the thinner black wire, but it works.

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:36 am 



Joined: 20 Mar 2017
Posts: 26
I recently did this same mod and was actually pretty surprised at how loud the Noctua was. They are almost dead silent in my pc and I assumed this would be similar.

I noticed the fan was slightly too small and I also wrapped it in tape to secure it better. Is it possible its not secure enough and is making a louder than expected whirring sound?

How did the mod work out for you guys? I guess mine is quieter but I was expecting near silence.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:13 pm 



Joined: 30 Jul 2017
Posts: 48
mheyman wrote:
I recently did this same mod and was actually pretty surprised at how loud the Noctua was. They are almost dead silent in my pc and I assumed this would be similar.

I noticed the fan was slightly too small and I also wrapped it in tape to secure it better. Is it possible its not secure enough and is making a louder than expected whirring sound?

How did the mod work out for you guys? I guess mine is quieter but I was expecting near silence.


For me it was a lot quieter than the original but still not silent so I just pulled out the card as don't need it anyway.

I feel like the fan runs at max 24/7 so that's probably why its so loud.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:54 pm 



Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 58
With the D-series monitors I feel like there is no downside at all to skip SDI entirely and instead use HDMI to VGA to Extron sync combiner to RGB up to 1080i (which looks fantastic). I've heard SDI adds lag and doesn't do 4:4:4 anyway, but I'm not sure about this.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:07 pm 



Joined: 20 Mar 2017
Posts: 26
Thanks for the response! I'm not even currently using the card but thought of hooking up my PS3 or get the UltraHDMI for my n64 and run it through the SDI card.

Do you recommend any HDMI to VGA boxes and what sync combiner would I need?

Thanks again!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BVM D24E1WU / BKM-42HD fan replacement?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:58 am 



Joined: 30 Jul 2017
Posts: 48
mheyman wrote:
Thanks for the response! I'm not even currently using the card but thought of hooking up my PS3 or get the UltraHDMI for my n64 and run it through the SDI card.

Do you recommend any HDMI to VGA boxes and what sync combiner would I need?

Thanks again!


Don't use SDI. I use this converter for HDMI to Component with my PS3 and it works great: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portta-Convert ... +converter

PS3 HDMI output (best quality) > Converter box HDMI in > Converter box Component or RGB out > Monitor in


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: axlblazeadam, djc5166, marqs, Nodoyuna and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group