PVM 20M2/14M2/20M4/14M4/1954Q/1354Q cap kit list

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
hopeless

Re: PVM 20M2/14M2/20M4/14M4/1954Q/1354Q cap kit list

Post by hopeless »

Leoraider wrote:Hey I have ten units of 2054qm, yes they are the same of 1954 (released in USA) all my units have bright picture, high contrast and a Perfect White but all have a little streacking of brightest objects on grey backgrounds to the right. I have already recapped one and got a Perfect geometry and improved picture quality but not solved the smearing/streacking wich is barely visibile.
How bad is the streaking? Is it like just a half or quarter of a pixel (in common 256 or 320 wide modes)? I have the same problem on a 2043MD, I've been told it is a) normal and b) just due to the age and wear of the tube and not possible to fix without a new tube. I've also seen it on closeups of other peoples' PVMs.

Thankfully it at least hasn't got worse over the many years I've had the monitor.
Leoraider

Post by Leoraider »

hopeless wrote:
Leoraider wrote:Hey I have ten units of 2054qm, yes they are the same of 1954 (released in USA) all my units have bright picture, high contrast and a Perfect White but all have a little streacking of brightest objects on grey backgrounds to the right. I have already recapped one and got a Perfect geometry and improved picture quality but not solved the smearing/streacking wich is barely visibile.
How bad is the streaking? Is it like just a half or quarter of a pixel (in common 256 or 320 wide modes)? I have the same problem on a 2043MD, I've been told it is a) normal and b) just due to the age and wear of the tube and not possible to fix without a new tube. I've also seen it on closeups of other peoples' PVMs.

Thankfully it at least hasn't got worse over the many years I've had the monitor.

I have teste all tubes with my tube rejuv and all are absolutely in very good condition...may be the issue in on the neck board, I have already noticed this issue on arcade monitors just when spark gaps fail.
TheRetromancer

Post by TheRetromancer »

eccoboy wrote:
TheRetromancer wrote:Would it be possible for someone to post a high-resolution of the underside of the PVM-20M2U A board, specifically near IC507? I've caused some damage to a point, and its obscuring where it needs to be connected.
You should check the schematic in the service manual. I might have a photo of the board from a 20M4U.
Any news on that photo, mate?
"Thanks for the nice reply. I do offer to do work without hot glue too if people prefer it that way." - Drakon
eccoboy

Post by eccoboy »

TheRetromancer wrote:
eccoboy wrote:
TheRetromancer wrote:Would it be possible for someone to post a high-resolution of the underside of the PVM-20M2U A board, specifically near IC507? I've caused some damage to a point, and its obscuring where it needs to be connected.
You should check the schematic in the service manual. I might have a photo of the board from a 20M4U.
Any news on that photo, mate?
Sorry, I only have a photo of the top of the board
captaineos

Post by captaineos »

I've recapped my Sony PVM-1454QM (Australian) = 1354Q
now
The image is excellent, like new, but the menu system no longer functions. I can toggle inputs etc via front buttons but when I press Menu, I loose colour for half a second and nothing else happens. I need access to the menu for geometry adjustments.
Any clues on where to look ? I am on day 4 of hobby time and tired haha.
Photos are available but unsure how they'd help, ?common fault?
eccoboy

Post by eccoboy »

captaineos wrote:I've recapped my Sony PVM-1454QM (Australian) = 1354Q
now
The image is excellent, like new, but the menu system no longer functions. I can toggle inputs etc via front buttons but when I press Menu, I loose colour for half a second and nothing else happens. I need access to the menu for geometry adjustments.
Any clues on where to look ? I am on day 4 of hobby time and tired haha.
Photos are available but unsure how they'd help, ?common fault?
If you haven't done so already: double check your connections, make sure everything on the inside is plugged in fully, then get a magnifying glass out and have a good look at the board you just worked on. Look for lifted traces, bad solder joints, and bridged solder joints. A multi-meter with continuity check can be helpful. You should be able to determine the section specifically related to the front panel by looking at the schematic.