N64RGB - Installation question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RGB0b

Re: N64RGB - Installation question

Post by RGB0b »

leonk wrote:As per THS7374 pubs:

"Internal filter bypass. Logic high bypasses the internal low-pass filter; logic low uses the internal filters. This pin must not be left floating. It must be connected to a defined logic state (or GND or VS+)."

As per N64RGB schematics (http://etim.net.au/n64rgb/tech/n64rgb12.pdf)

- J4 open ties it to GND (logic low) - DEFAULT
- J4 closed ties it to 3.3V (logic high)

Hence, the filter is ON by default!
Huh, interesting...I could swear when talking to Tim he said it was the opposite. I'll be installing an N64RGB soon and will double check.
zeruel85

Post by zeruel85 »

Yeah, what leonk said it's true. Bypass pin has a pull-down resistor in Tim's design, when you close J4 you pull high the bypass pin and disable the internal filter of the THS7374 amp.

I just made two N64RGB installations in these days and tried to disable the internal filter on both of them. Unfortunately, I don't have tools like a capture card or anything else to compare LPF on/off for the N64RGB. Looking at the pictures, I really don't see any difference...
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

In case anyone wants to try it out: I made a firmware with switchable bypass mode, which needs a small hardware modification. By default the bypass mode is on. To switch the bypass mode on and off the following button combination can be used:
  • on: D-Pad up + L + R + C up
    (i.e. the low pass filters are off / bypassed)
  • off: D-Pad down + L + R + C down
    (i.e. the low pass filters are on)
leonk

Post by leonk »

installed a third N64RGB today into a JPN N64 (revision 09 board)

Once more, picture is amazing on PVM, jailbars on XRGB. How am I the only one seeing this?

I did try a different experiment. Pulled the nintendo multiAV port from gamecube and only wired R, G, B, CS# and GND. Surprise surprise. clean picture!!!

I then started moving the wires around trying to pickup some noise, nothing! touched the connector wires to the power supply, to the wires running into the amp. nothing.

same scart cable. So my only guess at this point is that noise enters the system somehow somewhere but not sure. I opened the Scart cable (console side) and made sure only same 5 wires are attached. Still got noise from original port.

- I'm at a loss at this point
- 3 different system
- 3 different ways wires ran
- followed Tim's instructions and only used his supplies
- only effects XRGB mini

I got another N64 and N64RGB here I can try. suggestions? (now how the heck did I end up with a dozen N64RGB's on hand!?)
Lebeauluc

Post by Lebeauluc »

Sorry to step in, but I am getting the same problem as previously stated in this thread. I have modded my nintendo 64 (NUS-CPU-04 canadian version) with Viletim board revision 9. After completing the mod, I plugged it on the mini and when the picture came on the screen I was thrown away by the amount of jailbars on the screen. A google search referred me to this thread, so at first I thought that the problem came from a bad solder joint or anything related to hardware stuff, but after excluding all those problems, I gave a try on downgrading my mini to version 1.07.

I came to the same conclusions that It might be a firmware issue, because there were no jailbars left with my downgraded framemeister. Also I am using that special CSYNC NTSC cable from retrogamingcable. By the way, shout out to Viletim for his amazing work with that board. Quite easy on the install and also flashable.
holaplaneta

Post by holaplaneta »

leonk wrote: Once more, picture is amazing on PVM, jailbars on XRGB. How am I the only one seeing this? I did try a different experiment. Pulled the nintendo multiAV port from gamecube and only wired R, G, B, CS# and GND. Surprise surprise. clean picture!!!
Thank you for your amazing thoroughly research! At least now we have an idea for possible zeroed culprit.

I wonder if the AV multiout could be slightly modded to avoid these vertical jailbars on the framemeister?
leonk

Post by leonk »

I got a better question, am I the only one who noticed this? I've done 3 systems now which I tested with my XRGB mini (and many others I did not!) :(
holaplaneta

Post by holaplaneta »

I have the suspicion that N64 rgb mods are not as popular as in other systems... and that people are using mostly S-Video for their N64s (or the ultra HDMI), since the difference is not that noticeable as with a RGB modded NES or SNES. That´s why many framemeister users don´t have their N64 rgb modded, along with maybe having an older firmware on their units that does not show the vertical bars for the ones that do have one.

But I for sure, notice them when I connect my rgb modded N64 console to my Framemeister.
holaplaneta

Post by holaplaneta »

Finally found the switch to turn deblur on/off, it fits perfectly on the console and is super small. Model is OS202011MS2QN1 by C&K, glued with Krazy Glue KG483 Advanced Formula, .18 oz. Extra Strong, Durable, Precision Tip (EPIKG483)

I got it here with free shipping! https://www.arrow.com/en/products/os202011ms2qn1/ck

Cheers!