Video routing: Ebay find

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
zakk

Video routing: Ebay find

Post by zakk »

Over time I've modified my cabinet so I can plug 'normal' video and audio into it for playing consoles/MAME etc. I've always had to use consumer grade KVMs for switching, but those sucked for expandability and even caused some interference.

And then I came across this on ebay:

8 RGBs+audio input, 3 RGBs+audio output, 1 svideo/composite+audio output. Fully matrix switchable. The only problems I've encountered are that my component->RGB converter seems to not work with it (I've ordered a different type to see if that one will work) and the svideo output doesn't really seem to work with the few PCBs I've tried. This thing allows awesome output flexability; I can route any source to the cabinet AND the capture card simultaneously, or any combination I choose. Will be real useful when I get my second cab soonish. THe only real issue I have with it is that I'd have prefered one with 5bnc so I could do RGBhv; but luckily for the few sources I have that only output seperate sync, I can just use some bnc tees and it works fine.

The best part is it was only $68.

If anyone else is in a similar situation as far as inputs/output needs go, search on ebay for 'altinex' or 'extron'. Usually some of these pop up every so often. Extron stuff seems to go for a bit more, especially the monster 16x16 switches.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Hands down. :shock: never thought of buying such a high qulity switch. :o

Currently I have modified my Acrade monitor to be connected via a female Japanese RGB plug. Everything, including console, JAMMA PCBs would connect to it via Male Japanese RGB plug. Luckly I haven't got any interference in switching system so far.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
SAM

Post by SAM »

You are connecting your consoles to the Acrade monitor via seperate RCA cables ?!?! :shock: That should look good.

I am just too lazy for for connecting and disconnecting all those cables each time I switch system, so I use a Japanese RGB plug. But since my composit sync from PS1/2 is seperated from the composit vedio via a LN1881N chip, using seperate RCA cables for connection won't save my picture.

What I really need to improve my picture quliaty is to perform the RGB mod to my PS1/2 consoles to get the pure composit sync singals form the console before it is mixed with other singals.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*