Post your retro gaming setup!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

Browsing these forums always leaves me wondering what everyone is playing on, and what their setup consists of... so I thought it would be a good thread. Thanks to everyone who contributes! Pictures are welcome.

1. What is your current primary TV/Monitor for retro gaming?
2. What video game systems are hooked up and how are they hooked up? (cables? revisions? mods?)
3. Any upscalers, doublers, external speakers, scart switches, etc?
4. What do you sit on?
5. What is your favorite accompanying beverage?
6. What are you going to add/change in the future?

Just copy and paste the questions so you can answer underneath.
I'll go first.

1. What is your primary TV/Monitor for retro gaming?
PVM 20L5

2. What video game systems are hooked up and how are they hooked up? (cables? revisions? mods?)
SNES 1 chip-03 (RGB bypass mod, scart cable)
NES toaster (BLW, and waiting to be RGB modded, composite for now)
Genesis HD model 1 (RGB bypass mod, scart)
Atari 2600 JR. (sitting there just looking pretty for now.. one day RGB)
N64 (basic RGB mod, soon to be Tim's board, scart cable)

3. Any upscalers, doublers, external speakers, scart switches?
I run them through a Bandridge scart splitter for now. Using powered Cerwin Vega computer speakers.

4. What do you sit on?
I'm sitting on a crappy Staples computer chair, but hey, it reclines!

Beer.. any IPA will do

Need to RGB mod my NES and 2600... going to add a dreamcast and GameCube some day
Last edited by tjstogy on Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
tacoguy64

Re: Post your retro gaming setup!

Post by tacoguy64 »

*big edit to add pics and everything else*

I don't really have everything set up like I wanted to and everything is a WiP. Got other displays I play around with. Still tinkering with how this will all end up. Everything is pretty messy with games lying around everywhere and cables all over the place.

1. NEC XP37 Plus is my main/Panasonic Vierra TC-P50G10/Sony BVM D20F1U/Sony GDM FW900

2. Saturn is currently hooked up to it via rgb to the sync-strike. PCE Duo hooked up using composite. And N64 hooked up with s-video. No switch box so I have to swap cables for all my other systems.

Sega Dramcast through VGA/SCART, Sega Genesis/CD through SCART, SNES mini through SCART, Japanese XBOX 369 through Component, Neo Geo MV2 through SCART, Wii U through HDMI.

RGB modded N64 connected through SCART, RGB modded NES connected through SCART

Laptop connected through VGA.

Got a PS1, PS2, and GCN which are not all hooked up for whatever reasons. Also have a 3DS XL, og DS, and GBA sp.

3. Like I mentioned earlier, I have the sync strike connected to the NEC. TORO VGA box for my DC. I have an XRGB mini hooked up through a receiver and to the TV. HAS supergun for my MVS. And an Action Replay Plus for my Saturn to let me play imports.

4. An old couch which should be thrown out for a nicer couch or maybe a lazy boy recliner. Probably both.

5. Coke. I like the sugar/caffeine combo. Sometimes water or beer if there's people.

6. I need to add some SCART switchers. Ideally I want something with at least 8 inputs. Will add the GARO component trans coder which will allow me to hook up component sources to my NEC. Going to add a VGA switcher. Interested in getting an OSSC for my PC and plasma displays. Will keep looking out for a jvc if-c01comg input card so I can finally use my JVC monitor.

Going to add either a modded PS2 or Japanese PS1/PS2. Will add a region mod for the DC. Going to consolize my Neo MVS and add the NeoVGA encoder. Will add rgb amp to my PC Engine Duo. Will add a the capture card mod for my 3DS with a controller mod. I have a GameCube which I cant find but will look to mod it for HDMI or VGA. Though I might skip the GC mod and just get a Wii with component cables since there are some nice developments going on with the GBA rgb mods.
Going to build a gaming PC but probably lowest in priority.

Last edited by tacoguy64 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Bang & Olufsen Beovision 3 and Beovision 1 for consoles, Sharp X68000 monitor for Japanese PCs and SEGA Blast City candy cabinet for arcade gams. Sharp LC52X1 LCD for modern systems. I also have a BVM A20F which is mostly just used for testing, not gaming per say, and because it is ugly it is hidden away while not in use.

SCART/JP21: AV Famicom (NESRGB mod), Super Nintendo mini 1chip3 (RGB mod), Mega Drive 3 (audio and SMS mod), PC Engine CoreGrafx & PC Engine Duo (RGB mod), Sega Saturn, MSX2+, PSOne & PS2 Slim, JP Dreamcast.

S-video: Gamecube + GBA player (chipped for use with GBI)

DB15 RGB: Sharp X68000 Compact XVI (internal CF mod), FM Towns 20F.

JAMMASD and JAMMA: MAME PC and Neo Geo 1 slot for arcade games.

HDMI: PS3, PS4 and Wii U.

3. Any upscalers, doublers, scart switches, etc?

Nope.

4. What do you sit on?

Sleek looking leather lounge chair. Looks stylish, but is a bit uncomfortable to sit on.

Usually beer, dark if I can afford it. But if I can get ahold of it I prefer Japanese Shochu on the rocks.

I'd like a 20" X68000 for Japanese PC gaming in the future. Plus I'd like a PC-9801, PC-8801 and a twin tower X68000, mostly due to its superior aesthetics. Plus I have some Bang and Olufsen tables in mind for my Japanese PC's as I'll have so many of them that they deserve their own little setup corner. I'll prolly get some more B&O speakers as well in the future.

7. (omake) What is your sound setup?

Bang and Olufsen Beolab 8000 for modern systems and Japanese PC's and Beolab 6000 for 8/16 bit systems.

Pictures:
Spoiler
Last edited by kamiboy on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:40 am, edited 7 times in total.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

PVM14N6U, though in the next few weeks hopefully my Sony KV-32S42 (it's getting RGB modded by myself)

Toaster NES (RGB mod, SCART)
SNES 1-chip02 (SCART)
Jungle Green N64 (w/expansion, s-video)
Master System (s-video mod, SCART)
Genesis model 1 (s-video mod, LED mod, re-capped, SCART), Model 2 Sega CD (hooked to the model 1)
32X (hooked up to a model 2 Genesis, composite)
Sega Saturn (mod-chip for backups, action replay for imports/1mb/4mb games, SCART)
dreamcast (s-video)
Neo Geo AES (American system, composite),
Atari 2600 (RF, gross...lol)
PC with Hyperspin MAME (VGA into Extron VSC-200, then out s-video to the 32" Sony, only system not connected to the PVM)

Extron VSC-200 connected to PC only, converting 480p to 480i, soon to add an Extron RGB unit to convert the 480i to 240p

4. What do you sit on?
The couch. My 14" PVM stays on a light end table that I drag over to to where I sit. It's shaped specifically for hanging over a couch while the legs slide underneath it. Best $7 I've ever spent!

If the kids are awake, water. If the kids are asleep, Anchorsteam. If I have friends over playing on the MAME cabinet, Coors Light LOL

RGB mod my Sony KV-32S42 TV, and RGB my N64 when the de-blur thing is somewhat standardized
Add a Turbografx, a SCART switch, and an Extron RGB interface for my PC
Sell my Neo Geo AES, or trade it for a consolized MVS or supergun
Spoiler
I've been working on getting my systems and games set up where they are easily accessible. Right now all my games and controllers are in bins to the left of my HDTV. I've got some work to do, but it works for now. Eventually I'd like to have Universal Game Cases for my cartridges and have them displayed on shelves. Need to find somewhere to order like 500 of those things at a discount LOL.

Once my 32" sony CRT is RGB modded I'll probably sell the PVM and move all my systems out of the entertainment center area and install shelves in the bottom on the fake arcade cab I built.

Last edited by Shoryukev on Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
firepro4life52

Post by firepro4life52 »

1. I have a 27" JVC i'Art CRT TV that I love despite it being so friggin heavy

2. AV Famicom via composite, mainly used with an Everdrive. Might see if it can be modded to output via component. Also have an original XBox and PS2 connected via component

3. Nope no special gear needed since I'm using a good ol' CRT.

4. An old loveseat that is pretty comfy

5. Any lager will do. I also like seltzer (hey, it's cool, refreshing and calorie free)

6. Might get an modded Xbox running Coin Ops so I can play some arcade games while just lounging.

I also have a small setup for HD gaming in my home office that has a Wii U and a retro freak console connected to an LED TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by firepro4life52 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nissling

Post by nissling »

1. LG 55EG910V in my primary setup. Also got a BVM-20F1J and HDM-3830E that doesn't get much usage.

2. EG910V:
Super Famicom 1 chip-01 (unmodded, RGBs w/ Csync)
Sega Saturn NTSC-J (unmodded, RGBs w/ composite video)
Playstation 3 Super Slim (500GB, RGB per HDMI, full range)
Playstation 4 (500GB, RGB per HDMI, full range)

BVM-20F1J:
Nes (NTSC-U, NESRGB w/ Luma)
PC-Engine (RGB modded w/ composite video)
Mega Drive (first revision PAL, 50/60Hz + Eng/Jap modded, RGBs w/ composite video (will get a Csync mod)

HDM-3830:
Playstation 3 (80GB, NTSC-U, RGB per HDMI to my HDFury Gamer 2 Component, full range)

3. XRGB-Mini, Ino piP.

4. An armchair with footstool, don't know brand (got it for free).

5. Water or milk. Cannot drink anything else.
Last edited by nissling on Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

Awesome setups dudes. One question I forgot so I've added an addendum, #6. What are you going to add/change next?
Also added external speakers to question 3 (thanks for reminding me kamiboy)
(Just edit your post for cleanliness and posterity)
Last edited by tjstogy on Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

1. Sony KDL-40Z4500
2. Megadrive, Saturn, Jaguar, SNES, PC Engine, N64, PS2, Dreamcast, Amiga CD32 via RGB. Xbox, Gamecube, Wii via component. WiiU, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Gaming PC via HDMI. N64 and Gamecube also optionally by HDMI.
3. Extron Crosspoint RGB switch, Trulink component/digital audio switch, Sony DN840 home theatre system, OSSC, XRGB Mini, iScanVP50 pro
4. A wonky office chair that needs replacing
5. For srs play, typically tea (I like coffee but I can't drink too much it makes me anxious). weekends, often a beer or craft ale.
6. No planned changes now until I move (I can't fit any more in).
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
awe444

Post by awe444 »

1. Primary: A nothing-special 2012-era Samsung 1080p LCD, 21-inch, upscales 480p via VGA nicely
Secondary: Coby 10.2-inch WVGA (800x480) TFT display---useful for viewing 480p signals at native res, and when primary TV is unavailable

2-3. Consoles & setup:

N64 (RGB mod / Everdrive64 v1.3 2gb)
Saturn (RMENU / Rhea 32gb)
PS2 fat (Free McBoot / OPLGSM / POPStarter / HDD 128gb / USB drive 64gb)
Wii (USBLoaderGX / USB drive 200gb / SD slot 16gb)
Ouya (Cyanogenmod / Ouya Anywhere / Retroarch / USB drive 200gb)

Code: Select all

(N64/Saturn/PS2) --> JP21 --> SELECTY21 switch --> JP21 ----------->
             Wii --> Mayflash VGA cable (can also carry 15khz!) ---> XRGB-3 --> 480p --> SLG3000 --> TV
            Ouya --> HDMI --> HDCPstrip+DVI+audio+480pEDIDforce --->
4. An old sofa/couch

5. Beer (preferably something hoppy)

6. Possibly to add an original Playstation with PSIO cartridge, though I already have good (albeit incomplete) compatibility running PS1 games on my PS2 via POPStarter
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

Retro gaming: Sony KDL-42W656

Current consoles, blu-rays, TV etc: Panasonic TX-P50VT65

NES, RGB modded, RGB scart
MD2+MCD2+32x, RGB scart
SNES, RGB scart
Saturn RGB scart
Xbox, soft modded for 480P, component
Xbox 360, HDMI
Xbox One, HDMI
PS2, RGB scart
PS3, HDMI
PS4, HDMI
Wii U, HDMI
Wii, component
DC, Hanzo VGA box into an audio authority vga-component transcoder
Amiga 500+, RGB scart
SMS, RGB scart
N64, Ultra HDMI mod, HDMI

XRGB-mini, OSSC + DVDO edge, trilogy silverscreen and mad catz scart switches, 2x cheap HDMI switches and a Hama component switch

4. What do you sit on?

Sofa bed, its OK but needs cushions to be really comfortable.

I'm really liking the Valentino Rossi edition Monster at the min.

Got a couple of automatic banbridge scart switches on the way to hopefully fully automate my scart switching. My main focus is audio next as I'm tired of buzzy scart leads through tinny flat panel speakers.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

BuckoA51 wrote:Jaguar
I really want a jaguar at the min. Had one in the past but only had missile command 3D at the time so would love to try some other stuff.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

1. What is your primary TV/Monitor for retro gaming?
NEC XM37 Plus

NES toaster, RGB-modded with Tim's NESRGB board w/ 3 way palette switch (RGB via SCART)
Genesis model 1, motheboard revision VA2, stock (RGB via SCART)
|____ DB electronic's Powerbase mini for playin SMS games (RGB via SCART, same lead as Genny)
Super Famicom model 1, 1CHIP-02, stock (RGB via SCART)
|____ Retrobit's Super Retro Advance for playing GBA games (composite)
Saturn (japanese)model 2 , white, stock (RGB via SCART)
PS2 fat, model SCPH-35001, black, stock (RGB via SCART)
PS2 (japanese)fat, model SCPH-39000, Aqua Blue, stock (RGB via SCART)
Dreamcast. stock (VGA via Beharbros' KURO box)
PC (VGA)

3. Any upscalers, doublers, external speakers, scart switches?
All consoles are plugged into an Extron System 8 Plus switcher via RGB(except the SRA via composite*), the System 8 Plus's RGB output then goes through an Extron 580xi RGB interface (for tweaking the signal of certain consoles, as well as for performing the 240p "trick" on the PS2's output), and then to the 2nd RGB input of the NEC. That input's "passthrough" port is then connected to my capture card, which connects to my PC.

The PC is plugged in the NEC's 1st RGB input via VGA, and at the same time into my HDTV via HDMI, using the PC's 2nd output (Displayport), and a Displayport to HDMI cable.

*the composite output of the System 8 plus goes straight in my HDTV for playing the SRA. And sometimes in an Extron DVS204 scaler and into the NEC, to correct the aspect ratio and improve colors(it looks tons better on the NEC when the composite signal is converted to RGB, instead of plugging it straight in the monitor's composite input).

Sound from all consoles are sent to my main sound system (Sansui AU-9500 integrated amp, Mission 751 two-way speakers, Polk Audio PSW-10 sub. And digital audio(PC, PS2) goes through an external DAC (Peachtree Audio DAC-itX).

4. What do you sit on?
My comfy old couch!

A good allongé or a beer(s). My go to domestic beer is Labatt 50, and I either drink that or craft beers (the local microbrewerie here is amazing and I often pick up their beer. There's also a dépanneur close by that sells craft beers from many different micro-breweries across the province so I sometimes also go there and try different brews).
Last edited by FinalBaton on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
rpgposer

Post by rpgposer »

Hitachi 36UX59B 36" Ultravision.

Sega Genesis Model 1 - S-Video (Composite to S-Video adapter).
Sega Saturn - S-Video.
Sega Dreamcast - S-Video.
Nintendo NES - S-Video (Composite to S-Video Adapter)
Nintendo SNES - S-Video.
Nintendo 64 - S-Video.
Nintendo Gamecube - OG Nintendo component cable bought when you could get them from Nintendo.
NEC TG-16 - S-Video (Composite to S-Video Adapter w/homemade composite video/stereo cable.)
Sony PS1 - S-Video.
Sony PS2 - Component Video.

Audio and video run through an Integra A/V receiver with 6.1 (hehe) sound. All speakers are Polk audio, nothing special.
"Newer" consoles are connected to a Pelican System Selector.
"Older" consoles are connected to a radio shack switch.
No upscalers are used or necessary here. Looks, plays and sounds like it should.

4. What do you sit on?
An old metal futon frame in couch position with a comfy handmade quilt. Great place to take a nap.

Ice cold water.

The old futon is going to get replaced with something newer that I can still take a nap on. I am very happy with my setup. It has taken years to put it all together. Most consoles and the Pelican System Selector were bought new when they came out and have traveled with me from place to place over the years.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

The severe lack of photos makes this thread sad.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Agreed I want to see more pics!
I'll post mines after I get home.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Ask and you shall receive, I took some shots, post updated.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Brilliant photos thanks - it'll be very interesting to see more photos from people I've been seeing on here for a few years. I always appreciated your non-anal approach and have had a curiosity of the Beovision 1's for a long time - such a gorgeous looking TV...
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Of course the Beovision 1 is gorgeous, anything by Bang & Olufsen is pure class.
nissling

Post by nissling »

Except for the fact that it's pretty much always stuff by Philips in disguise. ;)
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Well, it would have been better if they had used Japanese tubes, but it still looks plenty fine to my eyes. The exterior design of B&O tube televisions were second to none, and I like pretty things.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

kamiboy wrote:Well, it would have been better if they had used Japanese tubes, but it still looks plenty fine to my eyes. The exterior design of B&O tube televisions were second to none, and I like pretty things.
They are super pretty sets indeed!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

I did quite a bit of research & collecting of the Loewe 50/60hz TVs & I feel that the perception that the Philips tubes are inferior is a bit of a misnomer, partly because of the Philips brand and partly because it's hard to find one that hasn't gone soft.

I went through about 7 or 8 E3000/E3001 chassis Loewes until I found one with a fresh tube & it has a fantastic image, definitely rivals the Sonys. The only thing that puts me off B&Os is the contrast screen but that's just personal taste.
gojira54

Post by gojira54 »

JBC

Post by JBC »

Philips 24pt6341/37

I also own an RCA TruFlat & Sony Trinitron, but prefer this TV because it's more pleasant in form. Somehow I prefer the image quality over the others as well, maybe it's the aperture grill.

Genesis 2: HD Retrovision component, doubles as Master System
Saturn: Swap mod (yuck), S-video
Dreamcast: S-video
NES toploader: RGB mod, HD Retrovision component
SNES: HD Retrovision component
N64: RGB mod, HD Retrovision component
Wii: component, soft-mod w/ external HDD, doubles as GameCube
PS2: component, soft-mod w/ internal HDD, clear shell
PS3 slim: component, doubles as PSX

I also have the clear purple GameBoy Color <3 & a red New 3DSXL in the comfy soft DreamGear case

5 daisy chained RGB switchboxes located beneath cabinet for hassle free signal swapping. (I know this seems janky but they are pretty high quality boxes & I've never noticed any image degradation)

A professional grade surge protector w/ built in power conditioner, for close encounters.

4. What do you sit on?

Pleather swivel chair. It looks classy but isn't super comfy.

Beer!

Optical drive emulators for the Saturn & Dreamcast as well as component cables once HD Retrovision manufactures their Genesis 2 adapter & DC yPbPr

I should be getting my first Everdrive by delivery today, the N8 for my toploader. I already have all of smokemonster's romsets ready to go. I plan to add Everdrives for Gen, SNES, & N64 soon as well.

In the future I'd like to own some form of the Turbografx-16, but am still weighing my options. Right now I'm thinking an RGB modded Duo-R would serve me well.

I'd like a mini PC for MAME in there, but it's so complicated to figure out what my best option is even after making a thread for it here. I just don't know what to do, but I'm getting a MAME cab this tax season anyway.

Edit - Ignore that ugly ole' X-Box. I've since removed it & only even have it for Otogi & Panzer Dragoon Orta anyway
Godzilla was an inside job
accaris

Post by accaris »

VIZIO D32hn-D0 32" 720p 60Hz Full Array LED HDTV

NES composite, Sega Master System composite, SNES S-video

Extron DVS 204, Logitech Z200 2.0 speakers, generic composite switch

4. What do you sit on?

Saucer chair

Diet Dr. Pepper

Want to add OSSC and an NES RGB mod, but it'll be awhile before I have the money for either
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Got some very clean looking set up guys.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Picture since it's somewhat organized for once:
Spoiler
Shitty Panasonic 50" plasma. Too much plasma buzz noise, forced noise reduction done pre-scale, no manual limited/full color range setting, doesn't support OSSC linetriple and no discrete IR code for component input. Input lag is mediocre. So want to replace it with a OLED, but so much progress there lately I'm waiting.

• NES-101 NESRGB
  • SNES 1-CHIP SPDIF modded
  • N64 RGB modded
  • GC DOL-001 + GB Player
  • Wii RVL-001
  • Wii U
  • Genesis model 1 + Sega CD model 1
  • Saturn VA-4
  • Dreamcast VA-1
  • PSX SCPH-100x
  • PS2 SCPH-5000x
  • PS3 CECH-30xxB
  • PS4
  • PSTV
  • Xbox (less than 1.6)
  • Xbox 360
  • Switches: gscartsw (RGB SCART), Zektor HDS4 (component, digital audio) and Aten VS0801H-AT-G (HDMI).
  • Linedoubler: OSSC
  • Video processor: DVDO VP50
  • Audio/video receiver: Pioneer VSX-LX52
4. What do you sit on?
Comfy couch.

Pepsi Max.

Mostly impulse driven. Dreamcast ODE and PC Engine Duo are both high on the wishlist though. Maybe a 32x, don't need it but it wouldn't require additional SCART inputs and it would be nice to finish the Genesis tower.
davyK

Post by davyK »

My proper retro setup isn't quite there yet , but here's my Wii + 360 setup....

Brad251

Post by Brad251 »

davyK wrote:My proper retro setup isn't quite there yet , but here's my Wii + 360 setup....

What model TV is that? The picture is amazing.
16bitpilot

Post by 16bitpilot »

Here goes:

1. Primary monitor is a 20" Ikegami RGB broadcast monitor for all retro stuff, second monitor is a rotatable Dell 2007fp with scanline generator, used for Xbox 360 and Steam gaming.

2. Systems all hooked up using RGB scart, Supergrafx with Super Cdrom2 attachment, Super Famicom, Modded Sega Saturn. Xbox 360 hooked up through VGA.

3. Nothing except the scanline generator. Both monitors hooked up to Surround sound.

4. I have a small ikea sofa for 2 players.

5. Beer!

6. No plans to add anything, maybe a decent mame setup.

In the other corner of the room I also have my 2 cabs, Donkey Kong and Ms Pac: