Sony BVM-20G1U problem, powers on, no image.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SnakeGrunger

Sony BVM-20G1U problem, powers on, no image.

Post by SnakeGrunger »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx67CvvHimE

Here's a video of the problem I'm facing.
Bought BVM-20G1U on eBay, missing power supply.
Bought power supply, model number A-1316-258-D, that seemed to be able to fit inside it, but in the title described as being for a BVM-20F1E.
Plugged it in, fits perfectly, screws bolted in, power on, and control deck powers up, screen degausses and sounds like it's turning on, but no image.

Does anyone have any pointers as what I could/should do?
accaris

Re: Sony BVM-20G1U problem, powers on, no image.

Post by accaris »

SnakeGrunger wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx67CvvHimE

Here's a video of the problem I'm facing.
Bought BVM-20G1U on eBay, missing power supply.
Bought power supply, model number A-1316-258-D, that seemed to be able to fit inside it, but in the title described as being for a BVM-20F1E.
Plugged it in, fits perfectly, screws bolted in, power on, and control deck powers up, screen degausses and sounds like it's turning on, but no image.

Does anyone have any pointers as what I could/should do?
Yeah, you got a problem. 20F1E is a European unit. 20G1U is a U.S. unit. Two totally different power supplies.
SnakeGrunger

Post by SnakeGrunger »

Well that's super cool.
On the back however it reads 100-120V / 220-240V. Still not compatible?
accaris

Post by accaris »

SnakeGrunger wrote:Well that's super cool.
On the back however it reads 100-120V / 220-240V. Still not compatible?
Well hmm, I don't know. Maybe try a step down converter if you have one?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Are you sure the power supplies are totally different, accaris? It doesn't sound like anything has gone especially wrong, and I'd expect a unit sold with no power supply may well have some other issue which would be more convenient to hide if it wasn't sold in complete working condition. Certainly everything else sounds normal.

From what I've read, most or all BVMs have universal power supplies.

I'm also not clear what a step down converter is supposed to do here. If you had a universal unit which only differed in the regional power supplies, I'd think that a 240V PSU would be bringing down line voltage farther than a 100-120V PSU would, so if anything I'd expect that to be undervolted. If anything I'd expect the voltage going to the components to be less than the unit needs, and a stepdown would only reduce that further. But, again, I assume this isn't true and the power supplies all work roughly the same, since they're all multi-region and are all fitted to universal CRT chassis designs.
xga

Post by xga »

I believe the PSU G board for the 20G1U is part # A-1316-334-A. As far as I'm aware, the BVM PSU's should all be multi-voltage e.g. 100V - 240V. There are certain PVM's that are 100 - 110v only and 220 -240v only.

Having said that, the fact that the 20G1U has a different model PSU compared to the 20F1E might mean that there are some other differences which prevent it from working properly.
SnakeGrunger

Post by SnakeGrunger »

xga wrote:I believe the PSU G board for the 20G1U is part # A-1316-334-A. As far as I'm aware, the BVM PSU's should all be multi-voltage e.g. 100V - 240V. There are certain PVM's that are 100 - 110v only and 220 -240v only.

Having said that, the fact that the 20G1U has a different model PSU compared to the 20F1E might mean that there are some other differences which prevent it from working properly.
I've been also told to measure the voltage coming out of the PSU unit, so even though the form factor is identical and accept voltages from around the world, the power board may simply be providing insufficient voltage and prevent the screen from turning on.

Thanks XGA for the reference number, I'll keep an eye open for one from now on! It seems that ref# is good for all BVM 14G1*, 14G5*, and 20G1* units. Great info.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

The power supply is not strong enough to boot it. I have a d20 and a 20f1e. The power card from the d20 can boot the 20f1e no problem but the other way around it won't work, and does exactly what you described with yours. It's like it just doesn't push enough juice to get the CRT to fire up.
SnakeGrunger

Post by SnakeGrunger »

LDigital wrote:The power supply is not strong enough to boot it. I have a d20 and a 20f1e. The power card from the d20 can boot the 20f1e no problem but the other way around it won't work, and does exactly what you described with yours. It's like it just doesn't push enough juice to get the CRT to fire up.
Thanks for checking it out!!
SnakeGrunger

Post by SnakeGrunger »

xga wrote:I believe the PSU G board for the 20G1U is part # A-1316-334-A. As far as I'm aware, the BVM PSU's should all be multi-voltage e.g. 100V - 240V. There are certain PVM's that are 100 - 110v only and 220 -240v only.
Do you know where I could source that ref# power board you mention ?
xga

Post by xga »

Sorry, no I don't.

I'd keep checking eBay and make a post in the wanted section.
SnakeGrunger

Post by SnakeGrunger »

Would someone have any other ideas or leads to help me fix my problem and get my BVM operational ? :)
SnakeGrunger

Post by SnakeGrunger »

So in conclusion : I have found a power supply from a defective 14G1U monitor of the same series, put it in my 20G1U, powers on flawlessly, I am very happy (took me one year to find an affordable one locally (Canada), but well worth the wait).
Islanderagh

Post by Islanderagh »

Hi.

Bit of a long shot but I. Looking for a power supply for a Sony BVM-20F1E. Do you still have yours and are you willing to sell it?

Mine has recently given up

Thanks.