Wii with Framemeister vs Wii U comparison

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Kez

Re: Wii with Framemeister vs Wii U comparison

Post by Kez »

fernan1234 wrote:Without being able to show examples in person, it's hard to explain why I prefer 480i to 480p from systems that support both from the DC to the Wii, but I do.
You perspective is an interesting one, I have a D20 so I am able to make such a comparison and I have given it a fair shake after reading your posts. Honestly, 480p looks just amazing to me on the D20. 480i really doesn't compare.
However I play PS2 pretty much exclusively on it, mostly in 480i, and it really does look very good from a decent distance. I really suspect people complaining about the scanlines and flickering on their monitors are sitting too close. I sit about 1.5-2m away and it looks excellent.
Last edited by Kez on Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

@Kez that's a reasonable comparison. Viewing distance is definitely important.

I also had a D20 and compared a Wii's 480i and 480p, and found both to look great. To be more precise, each one has advantages, so personal taste and viewing conditions will play a big role. The progressive picture has the advantage of appearing more stable, with no combing artifacts in motion. It's closer to what our eyes have gotten used to with modern fixed pixel flat displays. Text on progressive, especially small text, will definitely look better in progressive also.

But on the other hand the jaggy graphics of this generation are more obviously jaggy in progressive mode, whereas the interlace does a good job at making them look smoother. To my eyes there's also something "flatter" or more dull about the progressive picture in comparison. I really think those rapid flashes of alternating black lines have an effect on how the eyes perceive color and depth. To my eyes the interlaced image has more "pop" and is perceived more vividly.
Luigi_ra

Post by Luigi_ra »

Sorry for the slight off topic but I also have the Chroma shift present on my Wii u system over component, my HDMI port is faulty so only component is available, the Chroma shift is only present on progressive resolutions, 1080i looks perfect but introduce lag on a 4k tv. Also my main display is an oled with just composite analog connection so I don't know my options.
bikerspade

Post by bikerspade »

GojiFan90 wrote:I have no idea why someone would want to play Wii games in 480i when they are all native 480p.
Not all Wii games are native 480p. For example, Trauma Center: Second Opinion does not support progressive scan.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

bikerspade wrote:
GojiFan90 wrote:I have no idea why someone would want to play Wii games in 480i when they are all native 480p.
Not all Wii games are native 480p. For example, Trauma Center: Second Opinion does not support progressive scan.
Neither does Madworld and a few others.