Can't play Psikyo games on my cab. Help me.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ramus

Can't play Psikyo games on my cab. Help me.

Post by Ramus »

I have a tated New Astro City that can play cave games all day long, but when I put in a Psikyo game, it will play for a little bit then the screen will start flashing and make a "click" noise like it's resetting or something. Some Psikyo games don't play at all on it; it just starts to flash right when you turn it on. Power supply problem? Psikyo hardware thing? Someone please help.
My Collection
Currently playing: Research (sigh)
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Check the +5V on the harness while a board is plugged in. Should be about 5.12V, if not, then adjust it to that (there should be a small potentiometer on the side of the PSU), and try the psyiko board again.
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

It's reading 5.18v I can't find the switch to adjust it. Can you give a better description of where the adjustment thing is?
My Collection
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Ramus wrote:It's reading 5.18v I can't find the switch to adjust it. Can you give a better description of where the adjustment thing is?
5.18v should be fine, I wouldn't adjust it. I was kinda hoping you would say its just under 5.0...oh well.

FYI, the +5 adjustment on my Astro2 power supply is located on the right hand side, a small hole labeled "+5 V_ADJ", there is a pot just inside you turn with a screwdriver.

Last question, how are you mounting the Psyiko PCB inside the cab? Could it be coming into contact with anything metal?
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

I had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago with my legendary wings PCB, whcih kept on resetting after 30min or so of being powered on. the voltage read 5.21v on my voltmeter. I tuned it down to 5.03v and no more issue ever since.
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

It's mounted on a wood board that slides in to that little grove made for the wood board. No contact with metal. I think I'll try to locate the +5 adjustment nob and try to lower it just a tiny bit.
My Collection
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

Brought the +5v down to 5.00 and it works like a dream. Thanks guys. :D
My Collection
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

Damn! I spoke too soon. It still does that flashing thing after a few seconds of running. When I turn the cab on, it reads 5.00 on the meter. As soon as it starts to flash, it reads 3.00-3.28 or something close to that. Any new ideas? Please help; I'm going crazy!
My Collection
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Ramus wrote:Damn! I spoke too soon. It still does that flashing thing after a few seconds of running. When I turn the cab on, it reads 5.00 on the meter. As soon as it starts to flash, it reads 3.00-3.28 or something close to that. Any new ideas? Please help; I'm going crazy!
Hate to say it, but sounds like the regulation on +5 is failing under certain load conditions, although I wouldn't think the psyiko boards have much more load than the cave boards. But from what you wrote before, it doesn't seem to be isolated to a single PCB causing the problem. Time to order a replacement power supply. Note: the replacement must be a similar Japanese type PS as it needs to also send 100V to the monitor.
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

Any idea where to find one?
My Collection
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Dave_K. wrote:Note: the replacement must be a similar Japanese type PS as it needs to also send 100V to the monitor.
A non-OE replacement will not have the AC voltage passthrough connectors (note: the OE PSU does not stepdown 120V-->100V anyway).

Japan made switching power supplies are the best to get, I agree. The price is 3 to 4 times that of Taiwan-China made brands though. Sanwa and Seimitsu have two models each for JAMMA use (+5V. +12V. -5V). There's a couple other Japanese brands I can't recall the names.

I always set the the voltage as close to 5.00 as possible (between 4.98-5.05 is acceptable for me).
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Ramus wrote:Any idea where to find one?
Check with Matsu (gamemachine2003@hotmail.com). He has a ton of Astro's for sale, and maybe has some spare parts.
oxtsu wrote: (note: the OE PSU does not stepdown 120V-->100V anyway).
I was not aware of that, I thought the monitors would not run (or exhibit problems) when run at 120V. Glad thats not the case then. :D