Question about VP50pro 12v trigger

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Joelepain

Question about VP50pro 12v trigger

Post by Joelepain »

Hi,

I read somewhere that you can use the 12V output trigger of the iScan VP50pro to power a fan, to improve the cooling of the VP50pro.
I have two pc fan that I don't use so I decided to make an adaptor.

My problem is that the vp50pro doesn't seem to output enough current to power my fans.
One fan is a 140mm fan and is rated DC12V 0.14A, the other is a 120mm fan rated DC12V 0.16A. The manual of the VP50pro says it can output up to 500mA.
The strange thing is that when I mesure the voltage of the trigger without any load, it's 12V, but when I plug my fan on it, it falls down to 3V.

I tested my fans with another power supply (multivolt, 500mA) and they are working great. I mesured the current at 65mA for the 140mm and 80mA for the 120mm, so far less than what is written on their stickers.

Do you have an idea what could be the problem ?
Could it be the power supply I use for the vp50pro is not enough powerfull, and the trigger section is one of the function affected ? (I'm using one of these ebay 6V5A power supply)
Fudoh

Re: Question about VP50pro 12v trigger

Post by Fudoh »

I can just say that I have zero problems powering a fan. Both the "always on" trigger as well as the switchable one work fine. Did you try both ports ?

This said, those generic 6V5A PSUs are quite weak compared to the 7A PSU usually used for the 50Pro, so it might very well be the cause.
Joelepain

Post by Joelepain »

Yes I have tested both the trigger output.
I don't have any idea beside the weak power supply.

The problem is that it's very hard to find a power supply for these dvdo nowadays.

On amazon.com they have these that can be delivered to Canada, but there is zero info on output voltage and current.
UpBright iScan PSU1
UpBright iScan PSU2
Does anyone have any experience with this seller/brand ?

Does the vp50pro work with a 5V psu ? Because an alternative in my region could be this psu :
5V 10A psu
Official manufacturer description
Joelepain

Post by Joelepain »

So I ordered and received the 5V 10A Psu I linked in my post above.
The Psu seems great. It is quite larger than the 6V5A ebay one.
The VP50pro runs fine with it, and the Psu seems to be cooler than the ebay one.

But...because there is a but...
That didn't solved my 12v trigger problem.
I tried a third fan (a little 60/70mm from an AMD cpu heatsink I wasn't using) and it doesn't work either.
I tried to open the VP50pro but I didn't see anything strange on the little trigger card.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

great news about the 5V PSU working fine!

Unfortunately I have no idea what's wrong with your trigger ports. I can just stress that I'm running 120mm fans on both my 50Pro units without any problems. My guess would that maybe the voltage regulator on the trigger sub board has gone bad, but I wouldn't know how to check that properly.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Can I ask what might be a silly question - how are the 12v trigger ports wired? I want to add a set of fans and use an 3.5mm aux connector to hook them up.

Thanks!
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

tip is +12V. If you're using a stereo connector, leave the middle part unconnected, back end is ground. Maximum load for both ports combined is 500mA.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Thanks Fudoh.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee