monitor problem

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dpful

monitor problem

Post by dpful »

what does this mean?
Turning the game on makes the monitor give a high pitched whine (pretty loud), while tiny dots of static are popping all over the screen (single white pixels about and inch apart or so).
Then, turning it on again works perfectly. (not a problem with the game board).

I thought it was a warming up thing, but it seems to either work or not work with random turn ons. Havn't tried to just plug it directly into the wall yet, now the power comes out of the big power supply at the bottom of the cab, modern monitor, deosn't seem to use an isolation transformer.

Also, can't make it fail or work properly on the fly, it's just by turning it off and on.

Is it some kind of wierd grounding problem? any suggestions?
I thought to try it directly to the wall first and maybe bypass the power switching power supply (which I think it just runs right through anyways).
I think I've seen monitors making those tiny dots when grounding is bad (like if a button wire is touching the frame or something), but I can't remember. Any help?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

High pitch with static means out of sync. So when this happens will it continue to do this or is it only temporary (until the game starts)? Also what game/system are you using in the cab? Lastly, you said this is a new monitor (no need for isolation transformer) so what frequencies can this monitor sync to?
dpful

Post by dpful »

Don't know what frequencies the monitor syncs to- thought it had standard and medium resolution plugs on the chasis.
Tried it with Neo Geo and CPS II
The game plays fine whether the monitor is making the noise/statics, if the noise /static is there when it starts, it won't go away- likewise, if it's not there when it starts, it won't begin.

noise also increases with light images on the screen (when the noise is there, of course).

Sorry if kind of vague, it is a friends cab that I just got to check out for a bit at his house.

Just to be more clear, you can just turn the monior off an on, sometimes it will make the horrible noise, sometimes come on perfect, then back to whiny, semingly at random.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

dpful wrote: Just to be more clear, you can just turn the monior off an on, sometimes it will make the horrible noise, sometimes come on perfect, then back to whiny, semingly at random.
It sounds like its just loosing sync. Maybe a loose connector or wire on the jamma harness. Check the monitor's RGB connector for loose wires, and trace down through the jamma harness to the pin in the end connector of the fingerboard.

Worst case, its a problem with the monitor itself (loose cap or horizontal transitor on the fritz).
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

@ Dave_K

I wish you were in the Northern Utah area. It seems that you know a lot about this sort of thing.

It's actually my cab and dpful was cool enough to start this thread.

I've figured out that if I leave it on for like 2 or more minutes, then restart it, then it doesn't make the noise.

Also I've noticed that even after doing all that, there is still a hint of fuzz in the picture. Not very noticeable, but still there.