Phoenix connector to RCA cable - questions

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
cyborc

Re: Phoenix connector to RCA cable - questions

Post by cyborc »

Dragon89o wrote:
cyborc wrote:if you happen to have a multimeter, could you check the resistance between the outer right terminal and the middle terminal?
Ah, I don't have one yet. Link me one you would suggest buying.
I have this one. it's cheap but works pretty well. https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3320-Auto ... multimeter

If you want to spend more and get one that's guaranteed not to be a POS, get a fluke.
https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Digital-Mu ... multimeter
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

cyborc wrote:
Dragon89o wrote:
cyborc wrote:if you happen to have a multimeter, could you check the resistance between the outer right terminal and the middle terminal?
Ah, I don't have one yet. Link me one you would suggest buying.
I have this one. it's cheap but works pretty well. https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3320-Auto ... multimeter

If you want to spend more and get one that's guaranteed not to be a POS, get a fluke.
https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Digital-Mu ... multimeter
I picked up one of those Innova multimeters as a replacement for a Klein MM100 with blown fuses. I haven't had a good opportunity to use it yet, but so far it seems to work, I like the color-coded interface, and I like that it has elastic straps on the back that can be used to hold the test leads. (Frankly, the little rubbery hooks on the left and right sides of the case are useless for keeping the leads in place.)

If they were still being made, I would recommend against getting another Klein MM100 (can't speak to their other models), as the fuses are of fairly exotic specs, in so far as I can't just go to a store to get replacements; I would have had to buy the official set of two fuses, which was more than half the cost of a new one!
Dragon89o

Post by Dragon89o »

nmalinoski wrote:I picked up one of those Innova multimeters as a replacement for a Klein MM100 with blown fuses. I haven't had a good opportunity to use it yet, but so far it seems to work, I like the color-coded interface, and I like that it has elastic straps on the back that can be used to hold the test leads. (Frankly, the little rubbery hooks on the left and right sides of the case are useless for keeping the leads in place.)

If they were still being made, I would recommend against getting another Klein MM100 (can't speak to their other models), as the fuses are of fairly exotic specs, in so far as I can't just go to a store to get replacements; I would have had to buy the official set of two fuses, which was more than half the cost of a new one!
So you would suggest the cheaper one?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dragon89o wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:I picked up one of those Innova multimeters as a replacement for a Klein MM100 with blown fuses. I haven't had a good opportunity to use it yet, but so far it seems to work, I like the color-coded interface, and I like that it has elastic straps on the back that can be used to hold the test leads. (Frankly, the little rubbery hooks on the left and right sides of the case are useless for keeping the leads in place.)

So you would suggest the cheaper one?
For my amateur usage, the cheaper Innova one suffices. If you want pro gear, get a Fluke.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

cyborc wrote:Has anyone ever tried wiring one of these audio connectors for input AND output? Normally you aren't supposed to do this, but the CSR-6 adapter that extron sells is wired this way. According to the diagram it uses a resistor from the negative terminal to ground for each audio channel.

Extron refused to tell me the resistor values, saying it was "proprietary information." The only other info I could find was an old post on AVSforum saying to use 1k resistors. Retro-access claims to use resistors in their cables as well. Has anyone tried making an input/output cable like this, and did it work properly with 1k resistors?

Alright, so I wired a few adaptors this way (with 1k resistors) and it's working great as both input and output, and nothing blew up. :) I used an MVX 128 switch, but it should also work fine on a crosspoint since they have the same connector.