Phoenix connector to RCA cable - questions

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
FinalBaton

Phoenix connector to RCA cable - questions

Post by FinalBaton »

I have an Extron System 8 Plus on the way and I wanna attempt to use its audio dedicated phoenix connectors, so that I can switch audio as well as video on it (don't wanna buy a separate audio switcher).

I don't know much about how to connect RCA jacks (Left and Right channels) into a 6-pin Phoenix connector, so I need some assistance :

-The Phoenix connector associated with each video channel has 6 inputs : +, - and ground for Left channel and same thing for Right channel. I think that only balanced audio lines require all 3 of +, - and ground for each channel.
So then what about unbalanced audio llines (i.e. RCA cables)? How do I hook up both a left and right RCA cables into a 6-pin phoenix connector?

I cut open an old broken RCA cable to see how it's constructed and I see 2 leads i in each jack. Are those a positive and a negative? If so then that would mean that there's no ground, in the whole jack?

Should I go with something like this?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
ApolloBoy

Re: Phoenix connector to RCA cable - questions

Post by ApolloBoy »

Your black wire should go to ground if you're using RCA jacks.
Blair

Post by Blair »

I know Extron sold Phoenix to RCA adapter cables (they just plug right into the blue Phoenix ports and turn into RCA female leads) I'll try to remember the part number.

only problem is that because it's Extron and a "professional quality" product third parties will try to overprice them. (at most it should be $5 per cable not $15)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Here's the official audio wiring manual: http://www.extron.com/download/files/us ... -01__G.pdf

Note that you're using UNBALANCED audio, not balanced one. And also note that the input wiring is different from the output wiring. Stick to the manual and you'll be fine.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Thanks for the input guys!

Didn't even know the input and output had to be wired differently >_<
That diagram really explains it all, thanks Fudoh!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Also, I see different types(or gauges) of "Phoenix terminalblocks" on Ebay. Is there a model number or something I can rely on to make sure I get the right type?
When checking the manual for the System 8 Plus, I couldn't find the info (they only refer to them as "phoenix connectors" and that's it).

I guess I need blocks of 6-pins and with screw connectors, but even then I'm afraid that there's gonna be different standards and stuff amongst those. Can I just buy any 6-pin phoenix block? or is there a particular type I gotta look for

Also if I have a hard time finding 6-pin blocks : can I buy 2-pin or 3-pin blocks instead? or is 2x3pin/3x2pin acactually larger than 1 6pin and won't fit?
(I''ve never used this type of connector before, so there's a bunch of little things I need to know before ordering)

EDIT : checked the manual again and they say somewhere "5 mm Phoenix brand six-terminal connectors". But I searched those and I still see different types of 5mm Phoenix connectors, so my question remains valid (there's like a whole bunch of different connector shapes!)

Is this what I'm looking for? (hopefully I'll find some a bit cheaper). I see "Extron" in the description but I still wanna validate. Sometime sellers don't have the info right
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-10-6-pin ... 2135.l4275

Also found these at a better price. Hope they will do :
https://www.parts-express.com/phoenix-t ... k--091-374
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blair

Post by Blair »

Here are some links

These are the different screw block terminals they sell,

http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=4613

This is their cable preparation guide

http://www.extron.com/download/files/us ... 9-03_A.pdf

Here is the connector cable I bought for my RGB interface, your system selector might need a slightly different version but I think they're all the same.

http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=csr6&s=4
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Looking at that first link I was able to figure what to order. Thanks for digging that up Blair!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

Blair wrote:
Here is the connector cable I bought for my RGB interface, your system selector might need a slightly different version but I think they're all the same.

I didn't realize Extron made Phoenix to RCA cables. Thanks for this info, I may use this for my Crosspoint.
WARNING: no refuge
drewmantrivia

Post by drewmantrivia »

If anyone needs the connectors I have a ton of them from work that we don't use anymore. We install extron for all our systems and we when pull old systems we keep all the blue/phoenix connectors. If you have any questions for wiring/setup or need some or to have them wired up please let me know. Get a hold of me and I can work out a deal for what you need. I have the old style and the new style that has strain relief in most sizes.
Let me know!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Thanks Drew!
I already ordered a bunch of connectors, but if I need more in the future I'll get in touch with you
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blair

Post by Blair »

sky-13 wrote: I didn't realize Extron made Phoenix to RCA cables. Thanks for this info, I may use this for my Crosspoint.
FinalBaton wrote:Looking at that first link I was able to figure what to order. Thanks for digging that up Blair!
glad I could help,

I just thought of something, the lady that runs "retro console accessories" does customer requests, I wonder if she would be willing to do a run of custom Extron adapter cables? (as the're usually out of stock at most places)
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

Blair wrote:
sky-13 wrote: I didn't realize Extron made Phoenix to RCA cables. Thanks for this info, I may use this for my Crosspoint.
FinalBaton wrote:Looking at that first link I was able to figure what to order. Thanks for digging that up Blair!
glad I could help,

I just thought of something, the lady that runs "retro console accessories" does customer requests, I wonder if she would be willing to do a run of custom Extron adapter cables? (as the're usually out of stock at most places)
I actually have inquired if she would make custom SCART to BNC cables with the Extron Phoenix connector. She sent me some pics of previous cables she's made like that.

She stated making BNC cables for consoles (Genesis) as well, so the Phoenix connection can't be to outlandish of a request.
WARNING: no refuge
CaptainCommando

Post by CaptainCommando »

Blair wrote:Here is the connector cable I bought for my RGB interface, your system selector might need a slightly different version but I think they're all the same.

I bought an Extron crosspoint and I am looking for those Phoenix to RCA female cables.
If anyone can help me where to find them I would appreciate

Thanks
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

https://retro-access.com/products/rca-t ... itch-boxes

For my super-common Extron Crosspoint 12x8 switcher it would cost $240 to buy them all...and since they're so easy to make yourself tons of people do that. They grab cheap Phoenix connectors on AliExpress or eBay, then get some super cheap male to male RCA cables which you cut up and make them yourself. They're stupid easy to make (like if you have ZERO experience with electronics you'll still be fine). Only tool required is a pair of wire strippers.

CaptainCommando

Dochartaigh wrote:https://retro-access.com/products/rca-t ... itch-boxes

For my super-common Extron Crosspoint 12x8 switcher it would cost $240 to buy them all...and since they're so easy to make yourself tons of people do that. They grab cheap Phoenix connectors on AliExpress or eBay, then get some super cheap male to male RCA cables which you cut up and make them yourself. They're stupid easy to make (like if you have ZERO experience with electronics you'll still be fine). Only tool required is a pair of wire strippers.

Great thanks! Your photo helps me a lot . I was intending to do this and looking you photo made it just easier. I have now bought all parts : Phoenix connectors and cables from china.

Those female scart to bnc cables are still expensive to buy. I had 2 of them and bought a third one from retrogamingcables along with 3 sync strippers. I am waiting for a 16x8 Ultra version to come even though it really is 15x8 because a white button cover is missing. Where can anyone find those button covers?

Thanks again
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

You don't need a button cover - you should be able to just press it in even if it's missing the button behind it should still be there. And I've found no source for them (and I looked pretty hard - you can try contacting Extron directly though, that I never did).

And I hope you got the Phoenix connectors with the wing like mine I pictured - those wires are THIN and being able to put a zip tie there to hold the wires to the connector so you don't accidentally rip the wires out is extremely important (ask me how I know how delicate they are ;)
CaptainCommando

Dochartaigh wrote:You don't need a button cover - you should be able to just press it in even if it's missing the button behind it should still be there. And I've found no source for them (and I looked pretty hard - you can try contacting Extron directly though, that I never did).

And I hope you got the Phoenix connectors with the wing like mine I pictured - those wires are THIN and being able to put a zip tie there to hold the wires to the connector so you don't accidentally rip the wires out is extremely important (ask me how I know how delicate they are ;)
Someone needs to call Extron for assistance as there is no way to contact them online. You're missing button too?
I didn't find the Phoenix connectors with the wing. I bought 10 of them from retro gaming cables but they are the simple version. Even on eBay I didn't find those with the wing. I will use the black pipe that shrinks with heat to stabilize the cables.

Please let me know something about the setup. In first I will probably connect just 2 monitors. A BVM and a 27" Dell LCD which will be fed from OSSC. Each monitor has a different stereo system hooked up. As I am thinking it I will use maybe 8 stereo inputs but only 2 stereo outputs. Is this correct?

Thanks
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I contacted Extron via email twice now - they put me on touch with the local sales reps/departments? for my area and got me what I needed (including discontinued software after a little arm twisting).

For your inputs/outputs that sounds correct. I have 7 inputs (video game consoles hooked up), and 2 audio outputs. Right now I think I'm throwing the signal from any input I want, to 2x audio outputs at the same time (I'll have to double check but I'm pretty sure my two outputs are to a set of computer speakers on my CRT setup, as well as to my Framemeister for sound on my LED/LCD TV). You can even save these settings via presets so you don't have to press a bunch of buttons every time.
CaptainCommando

Dochartaigh wrote:I contacted Extron via email twice now - they put me on touch with the local sales reps/departments? for my area and got me what I needed (including discontinued software after a little arm twisting).

For your inputs/outputs that sounds correct. I have 7 inputs (video game consoles hooked up), and 2 audio outputs. Right now I think I'm throwing the signal from any input I want, to 2x audio outputs at the same time (I'll have to double check but I'm pretty sure my two outputs are to a set of computer speakers on my CRT setup, as well as to my Framemeister for sound on my LED/LCD TV). You can even save these settings via presets so you don't have to press a bunch of buttons every time.
Can you give their email? I am wondering if they can provide/sell me a button.

About presets, is it in the PDF manual?
I have set PC speakers too on my CRT and a different set PC speakers next to my LCD. Because my LCD is on a different side of the room it needs different speakers.

I am considering to buy a HDMI Extron too so I can combine the OSSC (and a framemeister I plan to buy soon) to a different 4:3 older Eizo LCD.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Retro console accessories sells a phoenix to RCA connector adapter. I have 2 of them. Its on their webpage, Retro-access.com.

as far as getting any extron parts like buttons, youll probably have to contact extron.
CaptainCommando

mvsfan wrote:Retro console accessories sells a phoenix to RCA connector adapter. I have 2 of them. Its on their webpage, Retro-access.com.

as far as getting any extron parts like buttons, youll probably have to contact extron.
Those Phoenix cables are out of stock in retro-access.com but I think I can create my own. These are very expensive to populate:
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/son ... m-monitors
Or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Female-RGB-Eu ... 1438.l2649
and a little worse quality
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-PVM-MONI ... 1438.l2649

Retro-access has 2 cables in one but still very expensive at 57$

EDIT: I have now contacted Extron via email for the missing button. I am waiting for a response
Dragon89o

Post by Dragon89o »

So I'm looking to find a quick solution on getting a phoenix to rca adapter. I simply want to test out my Extron Matrix switcher that I just got to make sure all of the slots are working correctly. I'd personally prefer an adapter over having to modify any wires. Has anyone tried placing an order with Extron over the phone? If so how long does it take them to ship you some? Second question is has anyone tried asking wookieewin on ebay to make these with any success? Or even have a different location I could maybe purchase these from?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Another +1 for my Extron VGA switch. All the audio inputs are 3.5mm jacks, so I only had to make a single Phoenix to RCA adapter for the output.
Dragon89o wrote:So I'm looking to find a quick solution on getting a phoenix to rca adapter. I simply want to test out my Extron Matrix switcher that I just got to make sure all of the slots are working correctly. I'd personally prefer an adapter over having to modify any wires. Has anyone tried placing an order with Extron over the phone? If so how long does it take them to ship you some? Second question is has anyone tried asking wookieewin on ebay to make these with any success? Or even have a different location I could maybe purchase these from?
Retro-Access also sells them: https://retro-access.com/collections/sc ... itch-boxes

Searching for it I found an old AVSForum post complaining about the adapters costing $25 each. I would guess that's the price Extron is going to quote you if you get in contact with them, but maybe not.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Dragon89o

Post by Dragon89o »

bobrocks95 wrote:Another +1 for my Extron VGA switch. All the audio inputs are 3.5mm jacks, so I only had to make a single Phoenix to RCA adapter for the output.
Dragon89o wrote:So I'm looking to find a quick solution on getting a phoenix to rca adapter. I simply want to test out my Extron Matrix switcher that I just got to make sure all of the slots are working correctly. I'd personally prefer an adapter over having to modify any wires. Has anyone tried placing an order with Extron over the phone? If so how long does it take them to ship you some? Second question is has anyone tried asking wookieewin on ebay to make these with any success? Or even have a different location I could maybe purchase these from?
Retro-Access also sells them: https://retro-access.com/collections/sc ... itch-boxes

Searching for it I found an old AVSForum post complaining about the adapters costing $25 each. I would guess that's the price Extron is going to quote you if you get in contact with them, but maybe not.
Maybe I should have looked into an Extron VGA switch. I ended up going with Extron CrossPoint 450 Plus 3232. Except do they make them that big?
https://i.imgur.com/uxIlfKG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/aCkS1mq.jpg

Yeah, I was going to see if RetroAcess restocks it in the morning and if so I guess I'll have to order a couple until I can purchase some console- bnc+ phoenix cords.
Was also going to try and call Extron during a work break tomorrow before they close. Hopefully they are cheaper then that now. $25 is just actually insane for such a basic cord. I'd just end up making my own if that was the only option lol.
You wouldn't happen to know of another place that might sell them would you?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Dragon89o wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Another +1 for my Extron VGA switch. All the audio inputs are 3.5mm jacks, so I only had to make a single Phoenix to RCA adapter for the output.

Maybe I should have looked into an Extron VGA switch. I ended up going with Extron CrossPoint 450 Plus 3232. Except do they make them that big?
https://i.imgur.com/uxIlfKG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/aCkS1mq.jpg

Yeah, I was going to see if RetroAcess restocks it in the morning and if so I guess I'll have to order a couple until I can purchase some console- bnc+ phoenix cords.
Was also going to try and call Extron during a work break tomorrow before they close. Hopefully they are cheaper then that now. $25 is just actually insane for such a basic cord. I'd just end up making my own if that was the only option lol.
You wouldn't happen to know of another place that might sell them would you?
If you need multiple outputs or anywhere near 32 inputs, the crosspoint was your only option I think. Biggest VGA switch I've seen from Extron was 12x1.

I don't know of any other place that sells them. Maybe some other custom ebay cablers? Wookiewin didn't seem to have ever had them, there might be others I don't know about.

Maybe Extron will have some NOS they're eager to get rid of?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Dragon89o

Post by Dragon89o »

bobrocks95 wrote:If you need multiple outputs or anywhere near 32 inputs, the crosspoint was your only option I think. Biggest VGA switch I've seen from Extron was 12x1.

I don't know of any other place that sells them. Maybe some other custom ebay cablers? Wookiewin didn't seem to have ever had them, there might be others I don't know about.

Maybe Extron will have some NOS they're eager to get rid of?
Yeah, I was just hoping there was others that people might know of but that might be a bit of a stretch. I'll probably end up making my own later on but just trying to get a couple to start things off.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

bobrocks95 wrote:If you need multiple outputs or anywhere near 32 inputs, the crosspoint was your only option I think. Biggest VGA switch I've seen from Extron was 12x1.
Extron's 8- and 12-port VGA Ars switches supposedly both have dual outputs, but the 12-port one is discontinued, and I've not seen either of these pop up on eBay.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Extron makes a MVX 1616. its their biggest Vga matrix switch. The crosspoint goes up to 128128. I imagine it took up a whole rack.

personally I prefer the MVX1616. Its VGA, and much smaller than a comparable crosspoint. it will still switch RGBS in addition to VGA.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Didn't know they did a matrix VGA switch. Looks like it too uses phoenix connectors for audio input though.