LATE to TATE <-- which rhymes if you say tate wrong

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
GateofThunderforceIII

LATE to TATE <-- which rhymes if you say tate wrong

Post by GateofThunderforceIII »

Hi all! Excuse my excitement and lameness, but around 2 years ago I bought a 27" Samsung HD ready TV (and have been enjoying progressive scan and fantastic vga to component Dreamcast gaming) and had to put my OLD 19" Panasonic TV (complete with S-Video and have been serving me well since the Genesis days) to a corner to serve as a Gun game/Neo Geo game station (Neo Geo shakes on the Samsung). I recently moved and have been too lazy to set up the secondary game station, but earlier today had the brilliant idea of using the trusty and crusty old Panasonic as a TATE station...after all, really only the Japanese Saturn and PS2 (and therefore PS1) will use it...easy set up. After putting Dodonpachi in the Saturn, I was completely BLOWN AWAY by the image. All this time I've been thinking that I didn't need tate. WRONG!!!!! I can never go back to Yoko especially after experiencing Layer Section in full special effects. Plus my Dodonpachi performance went through the roof with everything being bigger. Gosh I'm so excited. So excited that I just ordered a Japanese PS2 to put right next to the videogame deity that is the Saturn. And I haven't even tried Batsugun/Battle Garegga yet!!!!!!

But I have a question. While hunting down some Navy hoes in the base Navy Exchange (not really but close--looking for a vacuum), I noticed that there were some 20" LCDs that looked easily tate-able going for under $600. Here's the question: how do current generation LCD screens handle high action 2-D games like shooters? Will blurring be a problem? And would it be a good idea to get one (with S-Video and up to Component capability)? Gotta say, though, I have rediscovered my love for my Panasonic buddy. Too bad the tate station is right next to bed. Say bye bye to sleep. Thanks everybody!!
WTD
Ghegs

Re: LATE to TATE <-- which rhymes if you say tate wrong

Post by Ghegs »

GateofThunderforceIII wrote:Here's the question: how do current generation LCD screens handle high action 2-D games like shooters? Will blurring be a problem? And would it be a good idea to get one (with S-Video and up to Component capability)?
I knew there was a question in there somewhere. ;) Quoted the important part and moved the thread to Hardware.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

You'll probably get six or seven different conflicting answers to that question. It seems to depend a lot on your eyes. I've been using a Dell 2001FP as the primary display for my PC and consoles for about a year and a half now, and it works quite nicely for the purpose. Obviously, on this setup MAME is the best looking way to use it, but it's also got S-video and composite. The image quality on the S-video is quite good as long as the source is good (I've got some third party cable for my Gamecube which produces an image with an annoying "snow" effect, but the S-video cables on my Saturn and XBox provide crystal clear images.) There is some blurring as a result of scaling to the resolution of the screen, but this one handles it reasonably well.

Blurring isn't an issue for me, but this is one of the areas in which you will get some disagreement between different people. Over on some of the PC forums I read, the whole CRT versus LCD debate is endless, with some people claiming to see blurring even on the 12ms and faster LCDs (and thus insist they will never buy one), and others saying they can't see the blurring at all on a 16ms LCD. My reason for preference of LCDs is that they're a lot easier to deal with when you need to move them around. My 20" LCD weighs about a tenth of what an equivalent CRT would weigh, with most of that being the base.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

Check this post to find a link to a little site I made containing pics of my 24" Dell 2405FPW in tate mode. Maybe it helps you get an idea of how it looks.
Keep in mind that my monitor is a widescreen one so the image gets stretched a little.
Also blurring doesn't affect me too.

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5587