dc vga boxes

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thechop

dc vga boxes

Post by thechop »

was just wondering if anyone can recommend or wants to sell a vga box for dreamcast.also any one whos in the know can tell me did sega do an official version or are they all third party(blaze etc) any info would be most appreciated thanks
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

Yes, Sega did make an official vga adapter, but I've found it to be pretty rare nowadays to find.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Doesn't really matter which VGA box you get, since it's the DC doing all the work anyway. Just make sure to get a box and not a cable since the cables don't output audio.
uwfan

Post by uwfan »

You can usually find some on ebay.
P.H.U.

Post by P.H.U. »

Forget Ebay. Go to Jandaman.com. You can pick up the VGA box for about 12 bucks ($9.95)shipped USPS priority. Also, the VGA cable can be found here as well for 1 dollar less (and it does output audio). The difference between the box and the cable is that the box can also output normal TV video (composite/svideo/RL Audio)and the cable only outputs VGA

Cheapest price anywhere and I highly reccommend this unit as well as this retailer. Superfast shipment.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Well you have to keep an eye on eBay

OR

You could make it yourself by following the following circult diagrams.

Once you got hold of the 74HCT244 chips, it should be easy.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
thechop

vga dc diagram

Post by thechop »

ha ha nice one i'll just knock one of them up now,cheers
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Oh, and the IC is not required.. I think you only need it if you're planning to use it on a really old monitor that possibly will go haywire if you try to play a non-VGA-compatible game.
Soldato J

Post by Soldato J »

If you have never seen the DC in VGA, get ready for your eyes to bleed......truly how it was meant to be seen.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Soldato J wrote:If you have never seen the DC in VGA, get ready for your eyes to bleed......truly how it was meant to be seen.
Actually, I suspact that those DC games which support VGA are running in interlance when playing in non-VGA mode.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

Erm... how would you got about wiring up the VGA box? I know it's possible to wire it straight to the DC mainboard and just stick the vga port on the side, but I'd rather not do that... is the only way to get a video cable to buy a cheap rgb or a/v cable or something? I've looked at the cable that came with my dreamcast, it only has the pins needed for a normal connection.
-ReK
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I was able to make a VGA box using two 3rd-party S-video cables. The PCB on the cable plug had all the contacts, although the plug itself only had enough pins for S-video, but the pins were totally removeable so I combined the pins from two cables into one.

The page is really old and ugly and the pictures are pretty fuzzy too but here is how I did it without using the 74HC-whatever IC. Since different makers might produce their cables differently, it's a bit of a risk to buy since there's no way of knowing what they're like inside until you take one home and hack it to pieces. At that price you might still be better off buying one online (though last I checked I think jandaman was out of stock), or gather up the balls to attack the DC motherboard.

edit: And what Spec said V V V
Last edited by iatneH on Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I see VGA cords on EvilBay for about 3 dollars right now (Ok cheap-o ones), so why not buy one?
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Specineff wrote:I see VGA cords on EvilBay for about 3 dollars right now (Ok cheap-o ones), so why not buy one?
Becuase the shipping/handeling on those VGA boxes are $15-$20...read the fine print.

I think P.H.U. had the cheapest source mentioned above.
japtor

Post by japtor »

P.H.U. wrote:Forget Ebay. Go to Jandaman.com. You can pick up the VGA box for about 12 bucks ($9.95)shipped USPS priority. Also, the VGA cable can be found here as well for 1 dollar less (and it does output audio). The difference between the box and the cable is that the box can also output normal TV video (composite/svideo/RL Audio)and the cable only outputs VGA

Cheapest price anywhere and I highly reccommend this unit as well as this retailer. Superfast shipment.
can these ones be hacked up to output 15khz?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

japtor wrote:
P.H.U. wrote:Forget Ebay. Go to Jandaman.com. You can pick up the VGA box for about 12 bucks ($9.95)shipped USPS priority. Also, the VGA cable can be found here as well for 1 dollar less (and it does output audio). The difference between the box and the cable is that the box can also output normal TV video (composite/svideo/RL Audio)and the cable only outputs VGA

can these ones be hacked up to output 15khz?
Yes, pretty much any VGA box can have a 15khz/31khz toggle installed.. I'm not sure about the "VGA Cable" version though as there is no PCB...still possible to permanantly wire to 15khz, just more difficult.
zakk

Post by zakk »

This adapter doesn't need to be hacked:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?catego ... ucts_id=82&

While it's not obvious or even documented, the three way toggle switch on it toggles between svideo/composite, 15khz and 31khz.
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

Dave_K. wrote:
Specineff wrote:I see VGA cords on EvilBay for about 3 dollars right now (Ok cheap-o ones), so why not buy one?
Becuase the shipping/handeling on those VGA boxes are $15-$20...read the fine print.

I think P.H.U. had the cheapest source mentioned above.
actually ebay comes out cheaper. 3+15$ shipping vs 12+10$ shipping.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

DC in VGA on a projector guys is not what I expected, Radiant silvergun in RGB looked alot better imho. resolution at 480 just wasn't high enough.

Does it look better on a PC monitor?
Vidi Vici Veni
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Yeah. Also on a VGA compatible HDTV, most DC games look stunning. Like Cannon Spike. :shock:
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

On any decent CRT VGA monitor, it looks fantastic. Try Ikaruga or Psyvariar 2, or Soul Calibur for something a bit different, but make sure your eyeballs are securely in their sockets, else they might pop right out of your head (mmm Sophitia's high kick)!

On the diagram SAM posted, check pins 6 and 7 on the A/V port, they're both labeled as VGA select, but I believe (a bit uncertain) that they are in fact separate, as RGB select and VGA select. So wiring just RGB select to ground will output 15 KHz RGB, but wiring both to ground will give you 31 KHz VGA.
Can anybody (dis)prove this?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

iatneH wrote: Can anybody (dis)prove this?
Works for me. I wired a simple 15khz/31khz toggle switch on mine.

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_consol ... #dc2arcade
elvis

Post by elvis »

Diabollokus wrote:DC in VGA on a projector guys is not what I expected, Radiant silvergun in RGB looked alot better imho. resolution at 480 just wasn't high enough.
I assume you mean "it looks better in low-res/15KHz"? VGA is RGB too, and RGB is independant of resolution.
a.c._slatercore

Post by a.c._slatercore »

I have the Hais DC VGA adaptor. It works good. It has s-video outputs as well. I read that the Hais adaptor is the same as the official DC adaptor. The light gun games look fantastic as well as the 3-D fighters.