PS1 / XRGB mini - vertical shimmering in menus

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
rickr000

PS1 / XRGB mini - vertical shimmering in menus

Post by rickr000 »

Hello everyone, hope all is well and that you might be able to offer some advice.

Am having what I believe are sync issues with connecting a PS1 to an XRGB mini. I'm using an RGB scart cable with Sync on Luma, and a Euroscart adapter with Cysnc (power from Scart cable pin) to connect that to the mini. On the Sony boot menu I get awful vertical shimmering. I've tried to adjust the sync level in the mini's menu but had no luck :(. Any help much appreciated - had heard so much about the great ps1 picture on the mini!
rickr000

Re: PS1 / XRGB mini - vertical shimmering in menus

Post by rickr000 »

Just thought would post a reply in case anyone else runs into the same situation. I tried a friends PS1 and essentially the issue was down to using a modded PS1 that can play both NTSC and PAL games. With an unmodded PS1 there is no vertical bobbing on the boot menu at all. Believe this has something to do with the modded console not quite nailing a switch between 50/60hz for pal and NTSC content - so be warned if anyone is thinking of pairing up a modded console with a framemeister! Unfort as I now live in the UK and most of my games are NTSC I thought this would be a better choice! Thankfully it only affects games that aren't 240p and menus/videos that are also a different resolution.

Hope this helps somebody out down the line. Thanks
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

You're aware the PS1 bootup screen is 480i (I believe) ? you may well get some shimmering depending on how the Framemeister is configured.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

yeah, I don't get what he's seeing either. My guess would have been that a single field deinterlacing mode was selected first, while proper deinterlacing was applied during the second test run.

While modded systems can introduce problems on the FM, that's usually not one of them.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

I have to increase the sync level to 20 to get a stable picture from my modded PAL PS1. If I leave it at default the bottom part of the picture will often glitch out.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I get that, but that's not what I would call "vertical shimmering", right ?
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Yea, I wouldn't call that shimmering or vertical bobbing. The only explanation I can think of for rickr's problem is a different Image Mode setting. There are some issues with modded consoles, like different black levels, but bobbing shouldn't be one of those issues.
rickr000

Post by rickr000 »

Hello everyone, thanks for posting your replies.

I've tried all the picture modes, adjusted the sync level on the Framemeister but still get the vertical bobbing on the boot menu and some in game menus. I know these are not 240p, and the games themselves run fine.

Soon as a tried an unmodded console it worked fine (as does my TV scaler) but can't seem to get it to work on the framemeister.

It's not the end of the world as games run fine for the most part. But any ideas would be great thanks!
rickr000

Post by rickr000 »

An update on this in case anyone else has the same issue.

I got a 'fat' modded PS1 and there is no vertical shimmer via the Framemeister. It is definitely a noisier picture though, with some 'grain' on the boot logo and odd artifacts on the Sony logo. This is consistent when plugged direct into a TV with SCART - so it's not the Framemeister 480i processing.

Did some more messing and the PSOne vertical trembling / bobbing only happens on the menu and 480i games. If I toggle the Sync Mode (off - auto) it fixes the issue. However it doesn't matter what setting it's on and if I restart the PS1 I have to toggle one sync mode to another.

Strange but at least there's a workaround.

Thanks all for your help.