Sony BVM-D24E1WE, How to connect it to my PC?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
modology

Sony BVM-D24E1WE, How to connect it to my PC?

Post by modology »

Hi, I just purchased Sony BVM-D24E1WE CRT. I don't know how can I connect this CRT monitor to my PC (running Win10 Nvidia GTX980 DVI Port).
I assume that I can just purchase "DVI to RGB BNC" cable on ebay...but I am not really sure if I can just connect CRT directly to DVI Port of my GTX980 card.... would that damage my CRT? Any help or advices are appreaciated
Blair

Re: Sony BVM-D24E1WE, How to connect it to my PC?

Post by Blair »

modology wrote:Hi, I just purchased Sony BVM-D24E1WE CRT. I don't know how can I connect this CRT monitor to my PC (running Win10 Nvidia GTX980 DVI Port).
I assume that I can just purchase "DVI to RGB BNC" cable on ebay...but I am not really sure if I can just connect CRT directly to DVI Port of my GTX980 card.... would that damage my CRT? Any help or advices are appreaciated
the only VGA to BNC Cables I've seen have been the BNC5 style, and that won't work for you.

To connect my PC to my PVM-20L5 I use an extron RGB interface, thats because these Sony monitors use RGBs instead of PC style RGBHV. it works fine but it can be a bit fiddly for resolution changes.

are you sure the GTX980 has analogue output?

anyway, Now I use HDMI out from my Video-card to my PVM (HDMI => DVDO HD+ => RGB 203 => PVM) works great, looks fantastic and not much to fiddle with once you have it set up.

good luck!
modology

Post by modology »

Thanks. There is a HD-SDI card on my BVM.
Can I use this Gefen device to convert signal from DVI to 3G-SDI/HD-SDI from my PC to BVM?

Gefen DVI/HDMI to 3G-SDI/HD-SDI Scaler
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121892147853?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Noooooo, don't use SDI! That is guaranteed to be laggy as hell.

You're were right to begin with that DVI-A to BNC will work, you just need to combine H and V sync with a T-connector. That will give you composite sync that you can use with your BVM
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

You could, but you can also get an HDMI to HD-SDI converter from Monoprice for $80, or you can get a generic Chinese one off Amazon for $40...
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

BazookaBen wrote:Noooooo, don't use SDI! That is guaranteed to be laggy as hell.

You're were right to begin with that DVI-A to BNC will work, you just need to combine H and V sync with a T-connector. That will give you composite sync that you can use with your BVM
Do you have any documentation about SDI inducing lag? I've used HD-SDI a bunch for live video without any noticeable lag.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Guspaz wrote:
BazookaBen wrote:Noooooo, don't use SDI! That is guaranteed to be laggy as hell.

Do you have any documentation about SDI inducing lag? I've used HD-SDI a bunch for live video without any noticeable lag.
No, but it's a conversion from one type of digital signal to another, it has to have lag.

I mean, why not go all-analog when you have a completely analog display? Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Because you've got a pure digital source, and it's good to keep the signal digital until as close to the endpoint as possible. The less distance the analog signal has to travel, the better. And which device do you think has a higher quality DAC: your computer's videocard, or a Sony BVM?

There is no inherent lag in a digital-to-digital conversion (although you'd probably expect at least a few scanlines worth of buffering), and both HDMI and SDI send data line-by-line.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Guspaz wrote:Because you've got a pure digital source, and it's good to keep the signal digital until as close to the endpoint as possible. The less distance the analog signal has to travel, the better. And which device do you think has a higher quality DAC: your computer's videocard, or a Sony BVM?

There is no inherent lag in a digital-to-digital conversion (although you'd probably expect at least a few scanlines worth of buffering), and both HDMI and SDI send data line-by-line.
I figured SDI and DVI are encoded differently. Either way, analog is guaranteed 0 input lag.

And with analog, he could probably get a working 2560x1440 interlaced (same frequency as 720p) signal from his PC. Since it's a non-standard timing, the SDI board probably wouldn't know what to do with it. The analog board would pass it straight through. And I think 1440i would be a pretty awesome thing to support given he has a GTX 980
modology

Post by modology »

Do you know any links for ebay to buy this cable?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

modology wrote:Do you know any links for ebay to buy this cable?

They're easy to find:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?clk_rvr_ ... nc&_sop=15

alternatively, if you already have a DVI>VGA adapter, so you could also just use a VGA>BNC cable:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=vg ... c&_sacat=0

and just make sure you have a T-connector to combine H and V sync:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=bn ... r&_sacat=0

and you could use CRU to setup 1440i if you Nvidia's custom resolution thing doesn't work:

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/threa ... tility-cru
modology

Post by modology »

BazookaBen wrote:
Guspaz wrote:Because you've got a pure digital source, and it's good to keep the signal digital until as close to the endpoint as possible. The less distance the analog signal has to travel, the better. And which device do you think has a higher quality DAC: your computer's videocard, or a Sony BVM?

I figured SDI and DVI are encoded differently. Either way, analog is guaranteed 0 input lag.

And with analog, he could probably get a working 2560x1440 interlaced (same frequency as 720p) signal from his PC. Since it's a non-standard timing, the SDI board probably wouldn't know what to do with it. The analog board would pass it straight through. And I think 1440i would be a pretty awesome thing to support given he has a GTX 980
According the BVM-D24E1WE manual, this BVM can accept 1080i and 720p (not sure if it supports 1440i here).
Based on you what you said earlier about 2560x1440 interlaced, I can use CRU to change resolution on PC to 2560x1440 interlaced, but do i need to change any settings on BVM ?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

modology wrote: According the BVM-D24E1WE manual, this BVM can accept 1080i and 720p (not sure if it supports 1440i here).
Based on you what you said earlier about 2560x1440 interlaced, I can use CRU to change resolution on PC to 2560x1440 interlaced, but do i need to change any settings on BVM ?
1440i was never a standard broadcast signal, so it wouldn't be in the manual.

But I do know that 1440i is the same horizontal and vertical frequency as 720p. So it should work for the same reason that 540p works on Sony's 1080i CRT HDTV's. So you don't need to change any settings, just make sure you're sending an interlaced signal and that the horizontal frequency matches 720p. So the that would be close to 45hz, you can google to to get the exact number to the decimal, though if the BVM is like my Hi-scan trinitron, there is a little bit of wiggle room above and below where the display will still sync up.
modology

Post by modology »

I see. Another concern that I have is that if I change the resolution using CRU to 1440i inside Windows. What happen if the PC is connected to BVM and I did the full reboot, ya know when it goes from bios bootscreen then booting inside Windows... will it cause any damage on the BVM before the PC fully loads into Windows 10 ?
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

modology wrote:I see. Another concern that I have is that if I change the resolution using CRU to 1440i inside Windows. What happen if the PC is connected to BVM and I did the full reboot, ya know when it goes from bios bootscreen then booting inside Windows... will it cause any damage on the BVM before the PC fully loads into Windows 10 ?
When these monitors get an unknown signal they just display junk or nothing. It's no big deal.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

modology wrote:I see. Another concern that I have is that if I change the resolution using CRU to 1440i inside Windows. What happen if the PC is connected to BVM and I did the full reboot, ya know when it goes from bios bootscreen then booting inside Windows... will it cause any damage on the BVM before the PC fully loads into Windows 10 ?
Just remove every resolution higher than 45hz horizontal frequency in CRU and you should be fine. Bios might launch at 768p, but that shouldn't hurt anything.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Or turn the BVM off when it boots.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Einzelherz wrote:Or turn the BVM off when it boots.
or switch to a different input. All sorts of strategies.

I think what he'll need to do when he first hooks up the BVM, is hook it up as a secondary monitor. Windows will probably try to run it at 1024x768 @ 85hz or 60hz. He'll need to run CRU from his primary monitor and remove all the resolutions higher than horizontal 45hz, then add the resolutions he wants to use (standard TV resolutions are extra easy to add in the extension block). Then all he has to do is restart and he should be good to go; the analog output on the video card will always use that custom set of resolutions unless he hooks up a different vga monitor. Well until he installs new drivers, which is why CRU has an export profile option
modology

Post by modology »

As you mentioned that 1440i mode will be quite similar to 720p. Question is which one is better? Would 1440i give out more details and better pictures than 720p.
My BVM support 720p, would it give out better picture than 1440i?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

modology wrote:As you mentioned that 1440i mode will be quite similar to 720p.?
Picture would be way different, they only scan at the same frequency. That's the nature of interlaced picture, it cuts the necessary frequency in half while keeping the horizontal resolution.
modology wrote: Question is which one is better? Would 1440i give out more details and better pictures than 720p.
My BVM support 720p, would it give out better picture than 1440i?
My guess is that it would depend on the game. If you're capping a game a 30fps, the definitely 1440i, since you're getting the same detail as 1440p at that framerate. With 60fps games, 1440i will probably still look better, but you can side-by-side comparisons to see for yourself. Might depend on what type of game it is.

I'll give you the example of Mortal Kombat X on my Sony Hi-scan tube. I had the option to play it at 540p or 1080i. It looked much better at 1080i. Even though it only has enough TV lines to do 480p precisely, 1080i just had less aliased edges and more vertical detail. It was only on the horizontal plane where pixels blurred together. So I just turned on FXAA to blur it more evenly and give a nice smooth picture.

But anyway, once you get the BNC cables and everything set up, definitely take some pics of it running at 1440i. Since you have a GTX 980, you should be able to play a lot of games on max settings at 2560x1440.
modology

Post by modology »

Thanks for your insight advices. I've already oredered the cable, once it arrives I will do some test and take some photos.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I have a CRU profile on my computer still from using a high scan Trinitron. I may modify it a little and post it for you to use with your BVM.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Here's a CRU profile you can try. The 540p and 480p resolutions I used on my Sony consumer set. 1080i and 720p are in the custom extension block.

If 1440i doesn't look right, you can tweak the values like front porch, back porch, etc. You'll need to stay somewhere in the neighborhood of 45hz horizontal though.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9Mud ... 0lZamZZZ3M
Plazmunky

Post by Plazmunky »

modology wrote:Thanks for your insight advices. I've already oredered the cable, once it arrives I will do some test and take some photos.
I'm super interested in doing this myself with my D20F1U so I definitely want to see your results. :D
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

Yeah this is also quite interesting to me. It would be cool to have my PC displayed on my BVM... would an HDMI to SDI converter do the job fine?
modology

Post by modology »

Thanks for the CRU preset. The cable has not yet arrived but I will post some photos once I have it in.
Plazmunky

Post by Plazmunky »

bump
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

I sold my Sony PVM 2950QM and bought an Sony BVM-D24E1WE like the op. In the PVM i just used an vga to 5 bnc, but now this BVM comes with only r+g+b+Sync, instead of RGB+HV so i'm having sync issues when using my groovymame PC, i just have an stable image connected to an Extron RGB. The consoles work fine trough an scart breaker and 4 bnc cables to the BVM. GroovyMame now have composite sync option, but even with that enabled i can't get perfect Picture.

Any sugestions? By the way this is an 720p capable monitor, the boot startup don't should be visible correctly either?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

An active sync combiner like an Extron RGB interface is the only solid solution. Nothing to change here, if you already got it running this way.
By the way this is an 720p capable monitor, the boot startup don't should be visible correctly either?
yes, if you need visibility for bios/boot and other situations add a scan converter. PC > scan converter > passthrough output into the RGB interface (and into the BVM from there) while you connect the processed scan converter output to one of the other BVM's inputs.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

But this happens with an Arcadeforge UMSA, home made vga to scart, Extron RGB with DDSP off, Extron with Composite Sync on, etc. And if i loop the image trought the BNC out to my phillips CM8833 it displays correct in all the cases. Here i have some photos:

https://ibb.co/f4EXH7
https://ibb.co/dnuoqS
https://ibb.co/hMucjn
yes, if you need visibility for bios/boot and other situations add a scan converter. PC > scan converter > passthrough output into the RGB interface (and into the BVM from there) while you connect the processed scan converter output to one of the other BVM's inputs.
Fudoh this monitor accepts up to 1080i in this input