Super Emotia alternatives (still Extron products)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
c0dehunter

Super Emotia alternatives (still Extron products)

Post by c0dehunter »

The ones on eBay are selling for $150 and up, and I only need the 240p de-scaling feature of this box to convert my PS2, Dremacast, Original Xbox to 240p.

1) Does Extron make any similar products to Super Emotia for de-scaling to 240p?

2) 1) Would *ALL* of my games on PS2, original Xbox, and Dreamcast would look "good" in 240p? I mean I don't understand how a 640x480 to be downgraded to 240p and still retain all the details, etc. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have them downgraded to 240p, but I am curious how they would look.

3) According to this user on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZJsw1azCtM

"Extron Emotia does't even accept interlaced image....makes it go fubar, iscan pro will convert the PS2's 480i to 480p, making the Extron Emotia happy and willing to downscale the image to 240p"

Does it mean for my PS2, I have to invest in *both* Super Emotia *and* DVD0 Iscan pro?

Thanks!
FinalBaton

Re: Super Emotia alternatives (still Extron products)

Post by FinalBaton »

I assume this is for use on a CRT that accepts 15kHz without processing it?

Get an Extron RGB interface.

This will allow you to get 240p out of any 480i signal.

The Extron will output what you feed it (s-video in/s-video out, component in/component out, etc)
It's input is HD-15, and it output is 5 BNC.
You will need adapters to connect you console cable to the Extron, of course

For RGB, the Extron requires clean sync, so a SyncStrike will be needed
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
c0dehunter

Post by c0dehunter »

FinalBaton wrote:I assume this is for use on a CRT that accepts 15kHz without processing it?
Yes, I forgot to mention it, it is for my Sony BVM-D20F1.
FinalBaton wrote:Get an Extron RGB interface.
Is there a particular model?
FinalBaton wrote:This will allow you to get 240p out of any 480i signal.
FinalBaton wrote:The Extron will output what you feed it (s-video in/s-video out, component in/component out, etc)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

There are a ton of models that do the trick. It's don't recommend looking at just one model because then your ebay search will only turn in a couple of results. Whereas typing "Extron RGB" will turn in a ton of choices. Just make sure that the input is HD-15 : some of them have a DB-9 input socket.

This is what Fudoh recommended me BTW. It's also thanks to him that I know about this method of getting 240p.

Maybe you can search Ebay, and when you find a model for cheap and with cheap shipping, post the model number here to make sure that it will do the job.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
donluca

Post by donluca »

I've had a terrible experience with Extron RGB interfaces and would advise against it: it seems they are mostly hit or miss.

If you manage to snag one for a low price (I'd say not more than 30$ shipped) then trying it out can't hurt.

I would sell you mine if it wasn't half butchered with several mods I've done to it to get it working.
At the moment it works great with everything 50hz but it gets unstable after a couple of minutes with 60hz stuff.
This is on my Sony BVM, you might have better luck with your TV set.

Send me a PM if you're interested.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

My 580xi works great with all my consoles, wich are all 60hz *shrugs*
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
c0dehunter

Post by c0dehunter »

FinalBaton wrote:I assume this is for use on a CRT that accepts 15kHz without processing it?

The Extron will output what you feed it (s-video in/s-video out, component in/component out, etc)

I indeed own an Extron RGB 160xi unit: It is currently connected to my PC (Soft15Khz) for MAME and emulation purposes on my BVM-D20F1

Are you saying that I can use my existing Extron RGB 160xi unit for de-scaling DREMACAST and XBOX 360 signals into 240p?

If this is the case, how come people pay $150 for a Super Emotia model, when a sub $50 Extron RGB interface can do the same thing?

I am confused!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Try it with your Extron, yes.

Set your Dreamcast output to 480i, then set the Extron's DDSP switch to "ON", while having all the other switches to "OFF". This should work.

On my Extron unit I need to flick both "DDSP" and "Comp, Sync" switches on, but supposedly with most units you only need to set "DDSP" on
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

c0dehunter

Post by c0dehunter »

FinalBaton wrote:Try it with your Extron, yes.

Set your Dreamcast output to 480i, then set the Extron's DDSP switch to "ON", while having all the other switches to "OFF". This should work.

On my Extron unit I need to flick both "DDSP" and "Comp, Sync" switches on, but supposedly with most units you only need to set "DDSP" on
How do I make my Dreamcast to run in 480i ?
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

c0dehunter wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:Try it with your Extron, yes.

How do I make my Dreamcast to run in 480i ?
DO you have a VGA box with a switch? That's what the switch does. Toggles between VGA (480p) and RGB (480i)

Dreamcast games always boot up in 480i by default, unless you have a vga box with a switch and set it to 480p mode
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Mister Midnight

Post by Mister Midnight »

Ah! Thanks for refering to my video!
parski

Post by parski »

Fudoh wrote:just in case somebody missed it: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=57051
I for one can't access that link. I just registered but I still can't access it.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

DO you have a VGA box with a switch? That's what the switch does. Toggles between VGA (480p) and RGB (480i)
Just noticed that too, for the sake of anyone's sanity that stumbles upon this, that's not what the switch usually does on VGA boxes. On stock VGA boxes (the ones that were around at the time, not the new-fangled ones we have now) it actually toggles between VGA and S-Video output. 480i will NOT be output through the D-Sub15/VGA connector without a mod to the box.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Bucko, I was talking about modern VGA boxes like the Kuro and Toro. I should have specified it in my post
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
kardus

Post by kardus »

@c0dehunter

Did you get "240p" working with your 160xi? I'm currently searching around for an interface for a similar purpose (ati card/crt_emudriver -> BVM) and looking at the 109xi/160xi/200-rxi series. I'm not sure which one to get.
Blair

Post by Blair »

kardus wrote:@c0dehunter

Did you get "240p" working with your 160xi? I'm currently searching around for an interface for a similar purpose (ati card/crt_emudriver -> BVM) and looking at the 109xi/160xi/200-rxi series. I'm not sure which one to get.
are you trying to convert 480i to 240p or are you just going to output 240p directly out of your video card into the BVM? (with the help of the RGB interface of course)

the 203 rxi's are the ones I usually look out for as they have more inputs. and usually a digital display for troubleshooting.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

If you're not trying to downscale anything and just want to run 240p out of the PC to the BVM then most Extron RGB interface will work. 190/192 are some cheaper models.
kardus

Post by kardus »

Blair wrote:
kardus wrote:@c0dehunter

are you trying to convert 480i to 240p or are you just going to output 240p directly out of your video card into the BVM? (with the help of the RGB interface of course)

the 203 rxi's are the ones I usually look out for as they have more inputs. and usually a digital display for troubleshooting.
I will be outputing 240p from the PC's video card using crt_emudriver so I suppose any interface would be fine for that (even the 100-series stuff).

I may also need another interface for playing some 480i content in 240p. I was under the impression any of the devices that take the 15-pin inputs would be fine for this but someone told me all of them don't do the 480i->240p thing, so I just wanted to make sure I was getting the correct models.

By the way, does anyone know if PS3 can do RGsB over the "component" output?
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

Hi! I know this this is a old thread, but I never got this 480i to 240p trick to work on any of the RGB interfaces that I owned.

I've tried 203Rxi, 160xi and 109xi and nothing. Do I have to configure the RGB interface somehow to get this working?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Namingway_PL wrote:Hi! I know this this is a old thread, but I never got this 480i to 240p trick to work on any of the RGB interfaces that I owned.

I've tried 203Rxi, 160xi and 109xi and nothing. Do I have to configure the RGB interface somehow to get this working?
Some more info can be found on this thread, but before you dive into that, are you by chance trying this on a JVC monitor? I'm asking because I tried it on a JVC TM-H and it didn't work on it.

(I'm 100% sure my Extron interface was set up correctly, since I got the faux 240p look with the same box and configuration on a Sony PVM)
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

c0dehunter wrote:
2) 1) Would *ALL* of my games on PS2, original Xbox, and Dreamcast would look "good" in 240p? I mean I don't understand how a 640x480 to be downgraded to 240p and still retain all the details, etc. [/b]?

Thanks!
They wont look as good. High res 480i content absolutely does lose detail downscaled to 240p. Which makes me wonder, why are you wanting to do it in the first place?

BTW, CRTemudriver allows you to switch from 240p to 480i on a per game basis. I highly recommend running 25KHz titles in 480i as they lose detail in 240p.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Xer Xian wrote:
Namingway_PL wrote:Hi! I know this this is a old thread, but I never got this 480i to 240p trick to work on any of the RGB interfaces that I owned.

Some more info can be found on this thread, but before you dive into that, are you by chance trying this on a JVC monitor? I'm asking because I tried it on a JVC TM-H and it didn't work on it.

(I'm 100% sure my Extron interface was set up correctly, since I got the faux 240p look with the same box and configuration on a Sony PVM)
I have a TM-H as well and I had the same issue! The only thing that made the trick work was a Linuxbot3000 YPbPr to RGBHV transcoder, but the forced 240p looked pretty fucked up when I DID get it working. Guess JVCs are just too wily for us tricksters!
digitron

Post by digitron »

Josh128 wrote:
c0dehunter wrote:
2) 1) Would *ALL* of my games on PS2, original Xbox, and Dreamcast would look "good" in 240p? I mean I don't understand how a 640x480 to be downgraded to 240p and still retain all the details, etc. [/b]?

Thanks!
They wont look as good. High res 480i content absolutely does lose detail downscaled to 240p. Which makes me wonder, why are you wanting to do it in the first place?

BTW, CRTemudriver allows you to switch from 240p to 480i on a per game basis. I highly recommend running 25KHz titles in 480i as they lose detail in 240p.
100% true, I learned this the hard way!