shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:07 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1030 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:25 pm 

borti4938 wrote:
Edit: I changed the register latching to positive edge. This is not in accordance to the initial DAC project but in the way as Unseen does it.

Please note that I'm cheating in the top-level module: "VClockI <= not VClock;"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:30 am 

Cheater :roll:
Haven't noticed that :? Thanks for mentioning.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:00 am 

I finally got the N64 Advance board installed, just having a couple of issues at the moment though. First I can't get the IGR to work what so ever, none of the button combinations do anything and the second is that de-blur is a bit temperamental in some circumstances like for example if I go to the menu in Ocarina of Time after a couple of seconds it turns de-blur off and then when I come out of the menu after a couple of seconds it come back on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:06 am 

You have to enable IGR and quick-access for deblur on/off and 15bit mode on/off in the menu (misc). By default it's disabled.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:20 am 

This may be a daft question but how do I get into the menu? I can't seem to find it documented anywhere.

I also have the same problem with the firmware from the master branch and that doesn't have the menu yet if I am not mistaken?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:31 am 

It is worth double-checking that your controller input wire is properly hooked up if you haven't already - check continuity between the middle pin of controller port 1 and the Ctrl pad on the N64A board.

Also from reading the source code:

Code:
#define BTN_OPEN_OSDMENU  (CTRL_L_SETMASK|CTRL_R_SETMASK|CTRL_DR_SETMASK|CTRL_CR_SETMASK)
#define BTN_CLOSE_OSDMENU (CTRL_L_SETMASK|CTRL_R_SETMASK|CTRL_DL_SETMASK|CTRL_CL_SETMASK)

Looks like L+R+dpad-right+c-right opens the menu, while L+R+d-left+c-left closes it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:46 am 

Checked the wiring right up to the FPGA pins so not sure why it's not working at the moment. Maybe it's something daft that I'm missing as I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.

Ah right, same as the UltraHDMI. Don't know why I didn't try that. Thanks for pointing that out but even that doesn't seem to work either for some reason.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:35 pm 

Please check up also the connection on the modding board. I've soldered it by hand and don't want to exclude that I made a mistake.

Well, documentation on the dev_tests branch is not very good. Nothing about the menu, just what was merged from the master branch. Documentation will be written as the last step before merging the menu into the master branch.

C-ri + L + R + D-ri will open the menu
C-le + L + R + D-le will close it no matter where you are at this point. If you are on the main page, the menu will be closed on simple B press, too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:00 pm 

I've checked all three connections for continuity against the PCB layout diagram and also for any possible shorts right up to the FPGA pins and can't find anything wrong. I really don't have a clue at the moment why the board won't recognize any controller input.

EDIT: Just for clarification sake I'm reading 47ohms from the middle pin of controller port 1 all the way to FPGA pin 127 so I can't see how else this could be connection related.

Last edited by kel on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:24 pm 

@Borti when you get a chance can you upload the firmware changes separately so I can test which one fixes my issues.

I'm referring to

Post subject:
Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing

Ok, good to read I was recently tested two different firmware builds:
- one where I simply added another fitter assignment
- one where I where all registers are latched on the rising edge instead of the negative

Also if you can give me an area of a game that AUTO should be off it would help testing a lot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:31 am 

kel wrote:
I've checked all three connections for continuity against the PCB layout diagram and also for any possible shorts right up to the FPGA pins and can't find anything wrong. I really don't have a clue at the moment why the board won't recognize any controller input.

EDIT: Just for clarification sake I'm reading 47ohms from the middle pin of controller port 1 all the way to FPGA pin 127 so I can't see how else this could be connection related.

Could you also check, if the 50MHz output of U8 has a proper connection to the FPGA.
If this is also not the problem, I have no further clue then. Then I would like to send you over a replacement board.

Syntax wrote:
@Borti when you get a chance can you upload the firmware changes separately so I can test which one fixes my issues.

Both versions are on GitHub.
- one where I simply added another fitter assignment -> master branch (assignment hasn't an effect on the fw-build)
- one where I where all registers are latched on the rising edge instead of the negative -> dev_tests branch

borti4938 wrote:
Unseen wrote:
borti4938 wrote:
Edit: I changed the register latching to positive edge. This is not in accordance to the initial DAC project but in the way as Unseen does it.

Please note that I'm cheating in the top-level module: "VClockI <= not VClock;"

Cheater :roll:
Haven't noticed that :? Thanks for mentioning.

Yesterday I took a look onto the relationship between VCLK and DSYNC and Data. It seems to me that everything is latched on the posedge of VCLK. After a rising edge it takes 5ns for DSYNC to change the value and 6ns for the data to change the value. This means the values change 5ns to 4ns before the falling edge of VCLK.
So I will probably go for the posedge implementation. I will also see how I can use that for proper input timing assignments.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:26 pm 

I've checked all the connections from U8 to the FPGA pins and also Vcc and Gnd with a multimeter and they all have good connections although for some reason I can't see 50Mhz on FPGA pin 24 with the oscilloscope even though FPGA pin 28 is outputting 3.3v. Maybe a dud oscillator?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:49 pm 

Seems like. Unfortunately I don't have any left at home. :(
If you want me to replace it, please let me know and I will order a new one!

Meanwhile, if you can build the firmware by your own (just the hdl code), then you can test to change this line here into
Code:
  .inclk0(VCLK),

In that way you don't use U8 anymore but I'm not sure if the timings for controller sniffing are correct but should be close.

Meanwhile I updated the fw-builds in the dev_tests branch with new timing constraints added. In my N64 it works quite well. Deblur estimation is more stable, which is a good sign to me :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:52 am 

Nah, don't worry about it. I'll order some and replace it, can get them next working day and will need some sooner or later anyway. Thanks for the offer though, appreciate it.

Unfortunately my computer is a mess right now and I don't even have 15GB spare for the software. Need to reformat the whole thing, start from scratch and re-install everything that I need. Probably quicker to replace the crystal than tackle that job at the moment :) I'll keep this method in mind as an alternative though, cheers.

Great, I'll give the new build a try and let you know if deblur estimation works any better for me on Ocarina of time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:14 am 

Flashed the latest 5M240ZT100C4.pof and its working fine :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:58 am 

Borti, I'm really excited about this N64 RGB OSD Menu of yours. It'll give people who just want to play on a CRT all the same options of the Ultra HDMI with no plastic needing to be cut. :D Thank you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:10 pm 

Hey Everyone,

I am new to the whole Deblur scene, and i have been reading post after post trying to understand just how it all works and the current state of compatibility. I am going to be getting a Tim Worthington board and changing out my current RGB board just so i can use this deblur feature as it looks incredible. I play on a PVM so i really have no need for UltradHDMI.

I guess my main question if anyone would be kind enough to help me out. How is compatibility at the moment? Do most games work fine or do some have to be fiddled with? I know some are better without it so i am installing a switch.

I was trying to understand all the tech talk, but a lot of it seems to be going over my head.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help a deblur noob out. Pretty incredible how all these years later people are able to make break throughs like this to breath new life into these old systems.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:48 am 

I have 20L2 PVM and you really have to struggle to see the deblur effect - PVMs are just great at "fixing" N64 crap output.

But OSSC / XRGB - night and day between deblur on and off.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:16 am 

magus90 wrote:
I guess my main question if anyone would be kind enough to help me out. How is compatibility at the moment? Do most games work fine or do some have to be fiddled with? I know some are better without it so i am installing a switch.

No need to install a switch in case you find a game that you would rather turn it off for. Just add 2 wires from the N64 PIF chip to the RGB board and you can turn it on or off anytime using the controller.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:32 pm 

Is there anyone in the United States offering installation services for the Tim Worthington mod?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:27 pm 

GojiFan90 wrote:
Is there anyone in the United States offering installation services for the Tim Worthington mod?

I do. But I'm swamped with current customers and personal projects. If you can't find anybody else you can hit me up and I can try to work you in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:46 pm 

kel wrote:
magus90 wrote:

No need to install a switch in case you find a game that you would rather turn it off for. Just add 2 wires from the N64 PIF chip to the RGB board and you can turn it on or off anytime using the controller.

Interesting, had no idea. Is there a certain button combo or something to turn it on/off? Thanks a bunch

leonk wrote:
I have 20L2 PVM and you really have to struggle to see the deblur effect - PVMs are just great at "fixing" N64 crap output.

But OSSC / XRGB - night and day between deblur on and off.

I had a 20L5 but i just traded down for a 20L2, PVM's really are amazing when it comes to retro systems with RGB. Good to know it isn't really necessary.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:08 pm 

It was even very visible on my KV-27S42 consumer trinitron. Your 20L2 might need to be focused or converged if you can not see the difference.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:39 pm 

I agree - you can easily see it on my consumer Trinitron too. Much prefer it off though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:24 pm 

mikejmoffitt wrote:
It was even very visible on my KV-27S42 consumer trinitron. Your 20L2 might need to be focused or converged if you can not see the difference.

My 20L2 was NIB. Convergence and focus is perfect on it. Fully tested / calibrated with external professional signal generator.

The only place where I see slight difference is text. It's really splitting hairs at this point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:48 pm 

That's odd - it's definitely visible on my CRTs. New in box!! how on earth did you pick that one up? I'm guessing you're in the US? You'd never find something like that here in the UK.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:21 pm 

The only significant change when viewing on a crt for me is the pixel shift.
If not for that I probably wouldn't notice it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:37 pm 

andykara2003 wrote:
That's odd - it's definitely visible on my CRTs. New in box!! how on earth did you pick that one up? I'm guessing you're in the US? You'd never find something like that here in the UK.

I'm in Canada. Got it from an editing studio. They purchased 2 (1 as backup!!) I got the backup. PVM box still had the original shipping labels from Japan.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:43 pm 

leonk wrote:
I'm in Canada. Got it from an editing studio. They purchased 2 (1 as backup!!) I got the backup. PVM box still had the original shipping labels from Japan.

Damn - great find!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:51 am 

I've got the cash to buy an N64 with ultrahdmi mod to play The New Tetris but I'm not sure whether I need a NTSC or PAL console.

I want to run the game at 720p (with integer scaling) but I read that some PAL games are 288p while the NTSC versions are 240p and I assume the former doesn't scale as well as the latter.

Given I don't know whether the PAL version of The New Tetris runs at 240p or 288p am I right to think it would be wiser to opt for an NTSC console so I get a clean integer scale?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1030 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next